Goodbye Jesus

Understanding The Christian God As A Non-Christian

ExXex

Since de-converting I've been reading a lot of comic books (yes yes massive geek, I decided to see what all the fuss was about), and since I nicked them from my boything they're all a bit Cthulhu-style vengeful gods descending the world into madness type reading. Very relaxing.

Anyway since there were all these gods floating around naturally I started comparing them to the God I used to worship - In particular there was a storyline that went like... (skip this bit if you don't like reading rambly descriptions of storylines)

...It was many years in the future and the world was run by this uber-hitler bloke who was intent on wiping out all alien life and putting anyone who disagreed to death, and there was this group of freedom fighters focused on killing future-hitler and stopping the damage the human race is inflicting. It's headed by the god-like warlock alien thing who many resistance fighters and oppressed people see as their saviour (although portrayed as the devil by future-hitler) he even looses a son in the battle. However it increasingly becomes clear this god is... not exactly doing it just because he's benevolent and wise, he changes his plans - goes from 'wipe out the horrible humans completely' to 'nah save the planet' several times, does 'epic final battle' with future-hitler more times than seems necessary because he doesn't quite finish him off, shows vicious acts of cruelty and has an almost self-destructive urge to seek vengeance against his enemies and finally it's revealed 'god of chaos' or whatever isn't actually just a cool sounding name, he's doing it because he loves the chaos of it all...

So of course reading that it seemed uncannily close to the nice cuddly terrifying God us ex-christians used to worship (not sure if deliberate or just influenced by him), thinking of those lovely peaceful Christian ladies standing in church joyfully singing soppy songs to THE GOD OF CHAOS seems incredibly ridiculous, like WTF. (Although I still couldn't help liking this alien god of chaos, just wouldn't worship it haha)

So yes, basically now how I see a god I used to take solace in as something twisted and.. insane. If it turns out he's not just a construct of the human imagination the amount of people who worship him is scary, it feels odd I missed that for so many years. And why is he like that? Is it because the human race is so chaotic or something else?

How do you guys understand the Christian god now and then? Something chaotic or just bad? Or still like a strict father? Also! What representation of god outside the bible seems closest to it now?

I see it as a human construct. Religion helped early man to bring a certain context to understanding the physical world, a world that often seemed vengeful and cruel. It also helped humans bring a certain measure of control to other humans. Religion and the concept of God really makes sense when looked at in historical context. Now, as humanity grows up, we have no need for such childish things.

• Like 1

Aye, it makes sense when we look at the world we live in, as the Christian god reflects the uncertainty and sometimes cruelty of it, but I still find it difficult to wrap my head round humans worshipping it and hoping to end up with this god - because really humans are always seeking comfort and consistency in their lives, we divide our time into weeks and seconds and have a set job we go to each day for instance - looking at that it doesn't really make sense to me setting up such a chaotic and inconsistent ('now I'm flooding the earth' 'now I'm sacrificing my son for you' 'Satan's been judged' 'Satan has rule over the earth') being as an ideal!