Top 5 Ways To Get On A Church Prayer List In Alabama:

HippieMama

1. Be an athiest

2. Be gay

3. Have an interracial relationship

4. Sickness

5. Loss of a loved one

LOL....Greetings from the south.

Hi everyone. I've just recently admitted to myself that I no longer believe. It's been a long process with many mixed emotions. I was Pentecostal most of my life, but never really had as much holy ghost as some other people at church. I was ok with raising hands and tongues and the occasional slaying in the spirit. But I never could yell and dance and have convulsions and such. I wouldn't be caught dead twirling around with a tamborine and ribbons, but I know some who do. I hadn't been to my old church in almost 2 years, but decided to go to a revival a few weeks ago. I still have friends there and I guess I wanted to go one last time to be sure I'm done. Sigh....

Of course it was what I expected. But what really saddened me was how desperate the people seemed. Most of them looked like they were just hanging on by a thread. Like they had given up all hope and needed a miracle so bad that they'd believe anything. So the preachers prayed and layed hands on them, rebuked the devil, and shouted about breakthroughs and blessings. Some needed healing, some needed financial help, some were just broken hearted and hurting. At the end of the 3 hour service, I was exhausted and a little sickened. I felt so sorry for these people that I drove home in tears.

I know that some (if not all) of these pastors and leaders KNOW it's fake. And they're preying upon weak, desperate people. But I'm wondering if they somehow justify it because they think they're giving folks hope. It's still a cruel game to mess with people's lives, brainwash them, and make a living doing it. The whole thing infuriates me. But I'm so glad to find this forum, it really is encouraging. Thank you all!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome, Mama!

Yep, once you've looked behind the curtain, the truth can be infuriating. We'll try to make you happy here, okay?

Welcome

I grew up in Alabama ROLL TIDE!!!!!.

good  to see you have come to the dark side the force is strong with this one ;)

Welcome HippieMama!

I know that some (if not all) of these pastors and leaders KNOW it's fake. And they're preying upon weak, desperate people. But I'm wondering if they somehow justify it because they think they're giving folks hope. It's still a cruel game to mess with people's lives, brainwash them, and make a living doing it. The whole thing infuriates me. But I'm so glad to find this forum, it really is encouraging. Thank you all!

I agree.  These people might have believed back when they started out in "the ministry" but after they start manipulating poor folks out of their money at some point these pastors have to realize what they are doing.

1. Be an athiest

2. Be gay

3. Have an interracial relationship

4. Sickness

5. Loss of a loved one

LOL....Greetings from the south.

Hi everyone. I've just recently admitted to myself that I no longer believe. It's been a long process with many mixed emotions. I was Pentecostal most of my life, but never really had as much holy ghost as some other people at church. I was ok with raising hands and tongues and the occasional slaying in the spirit. But I never could yell and dance and have convulsions and such. I wouldn't be caught dead twirling around with a tamborine and ribbons, but I know some who do. I hadn't been to my old church in almost 2 years, but decided to go to a revival a few weeks ago. I still have friends there and I guess I wanted to go one last time to be sure I'm done. Sigh....

Of course it was what I expected. But what really saddened me was how desperate the people seemed. Most of them looked like they were just hanging on by a thread. Like they had given up all hope and needed a miracle so bad that they'd believe anything. So the preachers prayed and layed hands on them, rebuked the devil, and shouted about breakthroughs and blessings. Some needed healing, some needed financial help, some were just broken hearted and hurting. At the end of the 3 hour service, I was exhausted and a little sickened. I felt so sorry for these people that I drove home in tears.

3 hours? Yikes.

Thanks for the welcomes. And yep, 3 hours...

1 hour music

1 hour preaching

1 hour "ministry"

I figured out that the long service is actually part of the whole scam. Makes you think you really got your money's worth. You leave so drained, physically and emotionally. That way you think you really felt a move of god. Especially if you've been hopping around, dancing, or crying. Those people had to be exhausted, I was and I didn't even twirl around..

• Like 1