Goodbye Jesus

I hate winter

Mike D

If I am crabby now I can't imagine what I would be like if I lived in Alaska. I think it's safe to say I would pretty much go postal. :brutal_01::die:

I think I may move up there for a few months after school. I really do want to see the NL's. But I understand that it is a little more difficult that just being up there for a week-long vacation and viewing them. How often are they visable from where you live? I figured that it was one of those things where dorky toursts get a kick out of it, but the locals just go on with life.

I think I may move up there for a few months after school. I really do want to see the NL's. But I understand that it is a little more difficult that just being up there for a week-long vacation and viewing them. How often are they visable from where you live? I figured that it was one of those things where dorky toursts get a kick out of it, but the locals just go on with life.

Your best chance to see the NLs.

Come up in January or February. About 11 PM to 2AM for best viewing.

The tourists usually don't see them cause it's too light in the summer, and that is when most tourists come here.

Best location that's still close to civilization....Fairbanks. Great colors. Anchorage is nice, bust mostly limited to blues and greens as this city is more "south".

And here's something you might like too:

http://www.looknorth.ca/aurora/forecast.htm

I have been on that site quite a few times. I love the pics people send in.

I really miss the fishing in AK. We used to go on all night "combat fishing" excursions, we didn't even need a flashlight (just mosquito repellent). If you can't afford to fly to a remote area in AK, you had to go "combat fishing" because of all the people you have to compete with. Even the Winter silver salmon run was a lot of fun, and the Dolly Vardens down on the Kenai Penensula were also great in the Winter. There is a swan reservation on the Kenai river that is absolutely breathtaking in the Winter. Homer is a great place to catch halibut, I think the record halibut was caught there (at least when I was there).

The NL are spectacular, and the further North you go, the better your chances are of seeing them in the Winter. There is a lot of light polution in Anchorage, so you're better off getting away from the city. If you can get up there on short notice, there are websites that track solar storms, and you could time your trip for when one hits Earth and you will really get a show.