Goodbye Jesus

Science Article Comment Section Hijackers!

RealityCheck

You guys all know the deal.  You're reading a science article or watching a science video and you genuinely want to discuss certain points or aspects of a theory or discovery.  As you scroll down you notice that a swarm of fundy assholes have hijacked the thread and of course you have to listen to a sermon.  Is it just me or is this kind of thing becoming much more frequent than it used to be?  I even see this in science articles that don't even touch on the usual controversial subjects of evolution or big bang cosmology.  How do you guys deal with these fundies (aside from not bothering to post anything in the comment section at all)?

It is really annoying. However, it makes me feel good because they are that afraid of losing their faith they feel the need to be loud about it. Its just a symptom of tiny pieces of logic filling their head and their desperate need to pull it out. Much like a drug addict seeing bugs crawling on their skin

It happens, more than I'd like, and yet, all they're doing is making their cause look even worse than usual. People who ordinarily wouldn't care - "think what you want, buddy" - suddenly get mobilized and personally offended when these asshats engage. I follow Tetrapod Zoology, a great blog about, well, tetrapods (anything with four legs, or descended from ancestors with four legs). Creationist morons don't last long in that comment section: it's populated almost entirely by palaeontologists, zoological anatomists, taxonomists, and really well informed amateurs. One guy did try to push the "dinosaurs aren't birds, and evolution doesn't happen" angle... and he was systematically dispatched by a heap of cited research. The Dr. in Dr. Darren Naish is a doctorate in dinosaurs, for goodness sakes. It was like someone basting themselves in blood and leaping into the shark tank. It just proves how bad the creationist arguments are: they're reduced to "NO, U!!" almost instantly. Sure, they can keep whining about it, but the evidence is so overwhelming that they're wrong, and contesting it only highlights their own pathetic idiocy and dogmatism.

How do you guys deal with these fundies (aside from not bothering to post anything in the comment section at all)?

Really, you can't.  Those people are there trolling because they literally cannot have ther minds changed with reason and evidence.  There goal to to disrupt and distract from legitemate conversation and inquery, so if you engage them in any way you are playing into them.  The best thing to do is to discuss those topics elsewhere.  Post a link to a video here or on a forum of science enthustiast.  Like ExC said, if the forum is populated by knowledgeable people the trolls don't stick around. 

Honestly, when they come around here, I enjoy the chance to sharpen my debate skills.  You won't convince them unless they are genuinely open minded and just ill informed, but I can still test my skills at finding logical falacies and misinformation in there arguments.