Goodbye Jesus

Disbelieving Doubts

ChristianGuy1000

Hi folks you probably remember me from the heaven hell wtf page.

I've been having a problem for the last 2 weeks I was happy to believe that there is no God however the last 2 or 3 days I've been doubting everyother minute my mind is filled with what if's.

I'm worried that over half of the worlds population believe in Christianity and that by me disbelieving that I am trying to disbelieve in something that according to most is true?

If God did not exist why are so many people still going to church.

I know deconversion takes time but are these doubts nornmal to worry about? How did u folks deal with them?

I dealt with them by studying everything I could about the history and politics of christianity.  I knew the bible very well so I didn't need to study the contradictions and such, but knowing the political climate that existed when each of the books was written helped to show me the hidden motives for much of its commandments.  But regarding your concerns:

First off, half the world is not christian.  It's about 33% worldwide.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Second, even if 97% of the world was christian, that does not make it true.  There was a time the world believed in slavery, or the world was flat, or the center of the universe, or that women were inferior, and all of those things have turned out to be false beliefs.  But most people believed them until better information came along.

Third, Most ancient Greeks went to their temples and performed their religious rites thousands of years ago, as did the Romans, Zoroastrians, Mythrians, and so forth.  Are you trying to say that if a lot of people do something, that means it is valid and true?  The Greek and Roman myths are true?  Or were they only true when a lot of people followed them?  Islam is the fastest growing religion currently, perhaps you should convert to get on the "true" side before its too late?  And while we're on this subject, church attendance is declining sharply, so using your reasoning god must be dying.

Study.  Knowledge really is power.  Knowing how christianity stole ideas from surrounding religions not only helps to realize it is all fake, but also to understand why they were mocked back then.  Today we are very much removed from the Pagan religions of the time and area, but the general populace were quite familiar with those myths.  They didn't convert but by a sword not because they were evil or stubborn, but because they could see the rip off.  

I think the evidence indicates the “average” Christian “believes” the Bible is a divinely inspired accurate historical record of events and also a divinely inspired instruction manual for how to live life and please God.

They “believe” that because someone they “believe” knows what they were talking about told them it’s all true.  The average believer rarely reads the bible, and never reads anything of a religious nature that is not produced by the clergy or apologist.

Most believers are not even aware that all religions, and their sacred writings, have a secular history much less what that historical data says.

The disturbing truth is that most “believers” are ignorant and uninformed when it comes to the history of their particular religion. Few realize their faith is based on ancient myths and legends rather than actual historical events.  

Basically, it seems most believers believe just because they have been convinced God requires them to accept, by faith, what they are told by those that “know” the truth. Faith, as we all know, is belief without evidence. If a person requires evidence they clearly don’t have faith and that is a sin that will get you a one way ticket straight to hell.  The ultimate catch 22 created to insure religion will always survive, and I might add a rather brilliantly conceived survival strategy.

How long ago did you leave Xianity? Some people de-converted years ago and are still having doubts, most likely because the indoctrination was such a strong force. Yes, it's normal.

There are billions of Muslims too. They and the Xians can't all be right.

I'm worried that over half of the worlds population believe in Christianity and that by me disbelieving that I am trying to disbelieve in something that according to most is true?

If God did not exist why are so many people still going to church.

Out of 6.9 billion people, only 2.2 billion or so are Christians. In other words, about 4.7 billion people (twice as many) do not believe in Jesus as God's son.

It's true that the majority is religious, but the beliefs are so different and they go to mosques, temples, etc, not just churches. Majority belief is not necessarily true.

If you read Mackay's book, "Popular Delusions and Madness of Crowds", you will learn that mass-hysteria and mass-belief can be extremely wrong at times.

I know deconversion takes time but are these doubts nornmal to worry about? How did u folks deal with them?

Doubts are normal for the rest of your life. You will doubt things both here and there. You will refocus and reinvent belief, ideas, thoughts, understanding about almost everything continuously. It's good for you. Learn to accept it and use it to your advantage. It keeps you on your toes. Besides, I suspect it will keep your brain younger and fit. Use it or lose it, ya' know. smile.png

Xtians plus Muslims constitute about half of the worlds population, depending upon how you define those

religions. bill