Goodbye Jesus

The Joy Of Not Being A Christian

Denyoz

Time to rejoice.  happydance.gif

Oh how I love not being a Christian!  yellow.gif

- Don't have to go to church tomorrow.

- Don't have to pray and thank God for everything.

- Don't have to worry about hell.

- Don't have to wonder if I did enough good deeds today.

- Don't have to bless food before eating it.

- Don't have to read the Bible.

- Don't have to look for "signs" and hidden "messages" from God.

- Don't have to love people I don't want to love.

- Don't have to give my money to the church.

- Don't have to sing praises to the Lord.

- Don't have to wonder whether or not my friends are saved.

- Don't have to listen to Christian music.

- Don't have to evangelize.

- Don't even have to be good.

And it's Okay, it's all okay!  Hallelujah!  Oops...  Ridigwoopsie.gif   (sorry, my mouth slipped)

• Like 9

Don't have to watch Joyce Myers, 'joker face' anymore!! lmao_99.gif..or invest in all her books......woohoo.gif

Don't have to act like an angel all the time.....

Don't have to watch my language anymore. I can say 'Fuck' with pride!!!

Don't have to wander if satan has me in his grips....again.

Don't have to worry about my gay boy anymore!!

Don't have to pray for forgiveness while falling asleep!!

Hallelujah!

1.jpg?w=262&h=300

• Like 4

Ugh Joyce Meyers. Yes, so glad I am not a Christian.  What miserable people.  Really.

Doing all the stuff I always did anyway, just without the guilt.

• Like 3

Oh, there is so much joy to be found without believing in delusions. Actually being able to see things for what they are (as best I can at least) and not have to filter reality through my 'does it fit the scriptures' lens is so wonderfully freeing. I may not like what I see at times, but I don't have to perform the mental cartwheels I used to to try and fit it into my beliefs, or feel the panic when I cannot make it fit. It is wonderful to explore without fear!

And yes, I haven't had to look at that 'joker' face...until this morning; thanks Margee :P

• Like 3

It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting up in bed drinking tea. I was just thinking that I needed to get up soon for church and then I remembered - I don't go to church any more! I actually need to get up soon for my Sunday morning yoga and meditation class!

• Like 2

I don't have to try to "love" assholes who in no way deserve it!  I don't have to forgive people who in no way merit forgiveness!  I love this!

• Like 5

Don't have to watch Joyce Myers, 'joker face' anymore!! lmao_99.gif..or invest in all her books......woohoo.gif

Don't have to act like an angel all the time.....

Don't have to watch my language anymore. I can say 'Fuck' with pride!!!

Don't have to wander if satan has me in his grips....again.

Don't have to worry about my gay boy anymore!!

Don't have to pray for forgiveness while falling asleep!!

Hallelujah!

1.jpg?w=262&h=300

I started following joycey baby when I first became a christian and I subscribed to her magazine, but after a while I could see how she was just fleecing the flock like the rest of those big wiggs
  • Like 1

I don't have to try to "love" assholes who in no way deserve it!  I don't have to forgive people who in no way merit forgiveness!  I love this!

Thanks for saying this. I needed to hear it today. You just offered me a tiny bit of freedom. I can see those people for the rotten bastards they are, and stay away from them, and not pretend to care, and not feel guilty about it.

And right at this moment, those people are sitting on a hard bench with an overly-long sermon from the new pastor who bores some of them to tears. I'm sitting on the back patio watching the birds flit around my garden, drinking coffee with my hubby, smoking a cigarette, reading inspirational posts from you people here, and enjoying the sun and light breeze.

• Like 3

Bolstering my prior comment about "miserable people," I just received a birthday card from my mother. In it, she has her annual bid to save my soul. It consists of a tract, "Gods Simple Plan of Salvation" and a letter - in part it says " No one had to tell me I was a sinner, I knew it very well.."  Yep mom.. I love you, but I always knew you thought of yourself as one, too.

With this kind of view of yourself, how can you fail to be miserable? I don't care if you also think someone named Jesus fixed it, because if you do, you are required to think of others as "sinners" who don't accept this remedy and are hellbound.  If you can think of others that way without being miserable, you are some kind of psychopath.

Everyone should ponder carefully about what it means to believe the line about being born a depraved sinner because some people disobeyed God in a garden thousands of years ago.

• Don't have to cringe when I tell someone "I'm going to church."
  • Don't have to be the Righteous Police.
  • Don't have to save my country from sin. WendyDoh.gif
  • Don't have to go to church.
  • Don't have to wonder what god is trying to teach me through random occurrances.
  • Don't have to always read between the lines about god is trying to do/say.
  • Don't have to go to such extreme measures to make the world/truth make sense. Now I just sit back and enjoy life.

LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER!

• Like 4

I can think the unthinkable, say the unsayable, look at the unlookable, read the unreadable.  I can DOUBT all I want and question EVERYTHING!  Knowing that the Earth encourages me!  That the solar system is proud of me!  That the universe loves of me!  I can be 200% myself!

Hajulellah!

Drol eht esiarp!  Susej uoy knaht!

Now I'm REALLY speaking in tongues!

Wala-wala bong-bong

• Like 3

*Can sleep in late or go for a walk on Sundays

* Don't have to feel guilt or worry about using my gifts "for the Lord"

*Don't to worry about burning in hell for liking dudes

*Can enjoy all types of movies, books, music, art, etc.

*Don't have to feel bad for not telling folks "the good news": I remember once when I was like 14 a Sunday teacher asked us if the future of Christianity were in our hands, would that be a good or bad thing, or something to that effect. Even then deep down I knew Christianity would up shit's creek if it were in my hands, because I could never really articulate what was so life-changing or good about being a Christian beyond spouting cliches ("he blessed me, woke me up this morning etc.) Now I don't have to care if Christianity or all the world's religions got to crap!

Damn, this thread should be a book:).

• Like 4

I already had a low opinion of myself to start off with, then add the sinner complex for 13 years then presto! you have one fucked up mindset. No but it does not end there, because your worthless all you can do is be co-dependant on other believers to keep spoon feeding you the same shit that fucked you up in the first place.

Just finding out that I am not worthless is hard to accept.

Thankyou jesus!

• Like 3

I already had a low opinion of myself to start off with, then add the sinner complex for 13 years then presto! you have one fucked up mindset. No but it does not end there, because your worthless all you can do is be co-dependant on other believers to keep spoon feeding you the same shit that fucked you up in the first place.

Just finding out that I am not worthless is hard to accept.

Thankyou jesus!

Sin is a made up concept.There is action and reaction, but you decide what is good and bad in your world. Don't be hard on yourself.

• Like 1

I'm happy living life the way I want, after my own values. Also kinky sex. Just sayin.

• Like 3

I can think the unthinkable.

I love not having a porous mind!

GOD CAN'T READ MY SINFUL THOUGHTS! jesus.gif

• Like 2

* Don't have to feel guilt or worry about using my gifts "for the Lord"

So right!!! And, not 'everything' has to be for 'something' for the Lard!

At the tail end of my life as a Christian we had this awesome dinner club. I was telling a fundy friend about it and she said to me, "Oh, after you have dinner, you could go and minister at the jail!"

Me:  Wendytwitch.gif  "Ummmm......it's not really that kind of group........." (For one thing, there was alcohol involved......and for another.....really?)

I LOVE that now I can enjoy life for the sake of enjoying it, not because I have "gifts to use for the Lard" or need to go trick "minister to" Wendytwitch.gifWendytwitch.gifWendytwitch.gif  people. Yes, I still do my bit to make the world a better place, but not tacked onto something to be enjoyed for its own sake. 

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

• Like 2

Guilt free living!

Don't have to pretend to enjoy devos/hymns/prayer circles

Don't have to jump through interpretation hoops to try and make the Bible say that homosexuality isn't evil

Don't have to avoid science documentaries on TV or watch them with the God filter on

No more dreading telling people I'm a christian and watching them edge away

No more thinking I'm a bad, fallen, sinful being

Can watch and enjoy whatever movies and TV shows I want!

No more worrying that my kids will grow up to be gay or that I need to make them into little christians

I will be able to have realistic talks with them about sex when the time comes

No more fear of dying and not having gotten my theology right

Don't have to think of loved ones who have died as unbelievers burning and suffering an eternity in hell

Don't have to listen to people who say "Do you really think that's what we as christian women should be doing?"

And my Sundays are free to spend as I wish!

I discover new reasons to be happy every day.

• Like 5

Is guilt free living really possible, I have felt guilty for lots of things I have thought and done, but I have learned to embrace my guilt now more than ever. This might sound strange but my guilt has kept me safe and saved my arse so many times, without it I would either(could) be dead now or in jail.

I don't have to give God credit for my successful career. (That would be all my crazy work hours, sacrificing nights and weekends, taking chances, following through, checking my work for no mistakes, bending over backwards to bail people out who waited til the last minute to finish their projects, and on and on.)

I don't have to give God credit for my successful music performances. (That would be the 20 hours per week I worked on the music outside of church.)

I don't have to blame myself for my shortcomings, as if I was too weak to resist the devil. (If the holy spirit is in me, but I do "bad" things, then the devil is more powerful than the holy spirit? A Christian told me this is because Satan is the lord of this world. So... god is impotent here? And I don't have enough strength or faith to resist Satan either?)

Yes... my successes are mine, and my mistakes are mine.

• Like 2

I'm happy living life the way I want, after my own values. Also kinky sex. Just sayin.

Yep. And Jesus isn't watching, and I don't have to ask forgiveness afterwards. Now I just thank my husband and wallow in the warm fuzzy feeling.

I don't have to give God credit for my successful career. (That would be all my crazy work hours, sacrificing nights and weekends, taking chances, following through, checking my work for no mistakes, bending over backwards to bail people out who waited til the last minute to finish their projects, and on and on.)

I don't have to give God credit for my successful music performances. (That would be the 20 hours per week I worked on the music outside of church.)

I don't have to blame myself for my shortcomings, as if I was too weak to resist the devil. (If the holy spirit is in me, but I do "bad" things, then the devil is more powerful than the holy spirit? A Christian told me this is because Satan is the lord of this world. So... god is impotent here? And I don't have enough strength or faith to resist Satan either?)

Yes... my successes are mine, and my mistakes are mine.

But don't forget, '...if the son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.' (with sarcasm). I feel freer now than I ever did as a christian. Now that is joy yellow.gif

• Like 3

Reasons to be joyful after 18 months out of the christian asylum;

1) My Sundays are a real day of rest.

2) I have met more awesome people in 18 months as an atheist than I did during 18 years as a Christian

3) I can date a woman without having to wait for "confirmation from the Lawrrd."

4) I can date a woman without having to worry about her not being "the Lawrrd's chosen one."

5) I no longer have to give god the credit for anything that I have worked hard to achieve myself

6) No more singing along to awful songs as some poser plays an acoustic guitar badly.

7) I am slowly losing the belief that I am not good enough as a person because nobody is harping on about how "sinful" I am. 

8) No more spending money on "church weekends" in the back of beyond in some drafty place 5 miles from the nearest pub/bar.

9) Guilt free sex.

• Like 2

As an ex-Catholic:

- Don't have to go to confession and tell my sins to the priest.

- Don't have to eat those dry wafers that stick to my palate.

- Don't have to hang crucifixes in my house.

- Don't have to hang rosaries in my car for protection against accidents.

- I can eat meat during Lent.

- I can spit on statues.

- I can laugh at nuns.

- I can hate the Pope.

• Like 1