Goodbye Jesus

Some Surfing Photos I Took Recently

wanderinstar

To relax while on break from University I have been going to the beach everyday and taking photo's with my new Nikon D7000. This way I can play, and call it work...well sort of, I am mostly learning but I have managed to sell a couple of prints.

In my enthusiasm I have taken 7000 photos in two months. Here a a few surfing ones if you are interested. :)

post-20465-0-65382700-1373854036_thumb.jpg

post-20465-0-43040200-1373854127_thumb.jpg

post-20465-0-57767200-1373855350_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I love the one on the bottom the most wish the lighting was better but not much you can do about that. Brilliant shot though. Love the crashing wave behind him creating a nice negative space to balance his silhouette. Over all great shot almost makes me want to crack out the ole paints ;D

me too, loves the last pic,,,

unique,,, looksmlike running on water,,,

Thanks! The lighting and colours made that last one very difficult to fix in any significant way, without making it look unnatural. I'm only a beginner when it comes to DSLR photography, and last played with an SLR twenty years ago. The beach is at the end of my street so at the moment I've been a little lazy, and mostly taken shots there to practice, and it is so relaxing to hear the waves as I shoot. Soon, I will get into more technical/arty photography and tell stories with images. That is really what I want to do with my career but one has to make money, and since I have a bountiful supply of surfers nearby who may like to buy a shot of themselves or friends in action I thought it would be a good place to start. 

Yeah that is not a bad idea ;) keep up the good work.

Nice, and aren't you glad you don't have to use film? Where were the photos taken if you don't mind me asking?

Nice, and aren't you glad you don't have to use film? Where were the photos taken if you don't mind me asking?

I love that I don't have to use film. Film is still a great medium to play with but for sports/action photography or learning to get the exposure right (which is where I am at) digital is brilliant, and relatively inexpensive in comparison...and gosh, where would I set up my own darkroom in a two bedroom flat?? While I love exploring all methods of photography I am no purist who mourns the loss of film as the mainstream practice. I love digital technology!

These images were taken In the suburbs of an Australian city, where I live. I have dozens more, some better than these, but most took very little skill as I have been around the ocean and surfers all my life so all I have to do is read the conditions, set the best shutter speed and fire away when I see a set coming in. Now I pretty much wait for them the pull off the spectacular moves or, even better, fail while trying. I have been doing this for two months and I am getting bored but I am back to university in a week and will actually begin to get into some actual photography classes (I have done none yet as I am p/t and didn't have a camera for first semester)

I don't morn the loss of film either. These days I figure it costs about $25.00 US to buy and expose a 24 pic roll, and normally I might really like only one of those shots. When I was young I crew up in Hawaii and tried surfing, but moved away before I could get any good at it. I still do some body surfing when I get the chance.

I really only see people sticking to film because they like the process and not because it produces better results because it just doesn't