Goodbye Jesus

Defending God

chrisstavrous

Have you noticed that when you dispute christians on the reality and facts about their god they feel the need to defend him. Why do christians try to defend god? Is god a weakling? A wimp? A pussy?

What do you think.

They are merely reflecting what appears to be one of the chief communicable attributes of their god, i.e. insecurity.

He created mosquitoes and houseflies. No defense for that.

• Like 1

I don't think they're defending God as much as they are bolstering their belief system.

• Like 1

I use to do it a long time ago.  It was a natural response to me convincing myself that I knew the truth.  Since my personal response to the Bible is the one true real relationship with God then I should help all the lost people who have been deceived by Satan.  I also figured they would eventually behead me during the Great Tribulation which of course was going to happen back in the 20th century.

• Like 1

Maybe for the same reason God needs humans to run errands for him all over the planet. Managing the universe would have to be a rather awesome time consuming task and that doesn't leave time for mundane things like taking the gospel to the lost, starting churches in stone age cultures, healing the sick and feeding the hungry. That's why God gave humans hands, legs, and arms so they could be his servants and do all the stuff that god just doesn't have the time to do. God also needs humans to support his work financially too because god doesn’t have a regular job or a steady paycheck. Somebody’s got to pay the bills! glare.gif 

Anything that we hold deeply rooted into our ego we feel the need to defend. Human beings seek validation. Apologetics, message board debates, springing forth to the defense of God is just one man's conversation to himself, to validate himself, to brandish the ego and its need to be correct. Nothing bolsters someone up so much as topics of morality, politics, or religion, it seems.

If God existed, that force would need no defense. To me, the only sort of eternal constant law we can understand and that directly influences us are universal laws -- birth, life, death, creation, destruction, consciousness. These things are sure. Can't argue with them, you don't have to take on faith that they exist, and mankind is totally at the whims of them. The force which guides and sets these such laws in place is a way of perceiving God. Would that God need defended? According to Christians, that's precisely what God did, and eternally does.

Knowing that... why in the hell would you even attempt to defend it? That sort of animating energy, frequency, vibration (whatever you want to call it) needs no defense, it does what it will, there is no supplication for it, there is no prayer against it. Christians make such high and exalted claims for God and don't even approach it reverentially -- rather than being amazed at the ineffable or in complete terror and awe that God is behind everything, they approach him all "Buddy Jesus" style. Vacation Bible School. Sing-song, happy-clappy, hyper-emotional praise music. Potlucks. Gospel karaoke.

No, if God existed, he/she/it would not need defended, and it would have no interest in any of this Christianity. People defend it because it can't defend itself against logic and reason. They need to buffer their faith shields unless the Satanic temptation enter their minds that God may not exist, or, the Bible could be morally wrong. Whatever the case may be.

• Like 3

They defend god because they believe it is Satan attacking their faith. So they MUST, or else he will take over their soul. You can't ever let your guard down.   bill

I never understood it, even when I was a christian. I was like god can defend himself should the need arise. Geez I don't even defend my own country :) Not my job.

• Like 1

I also agree with the argument that people will defend what they believe; it is the natural response to disagreement.  It is a way to farther convince the self it is true; if it can hold up to scrutiny it must be the truth regardless of how illogical it is. The more someone allows something to define the self, the more deeply ingrained it is, and therefore the less likely the individual will tolerate disagreement. To disagree is to attack the individual, even if that is not the intent. Plus the religion encourages a persecution complex which also puts people on the defensive by default.  

You are not only defending your soul, but you are defending God himself. The King and the creator of existence. One may be a flawed human but the King is willing to open up the doors to paradise for those who sees as worthy.  This is a grand promise and appeals to a wide range of emotion; pride, guilt, hope, and fear. Fear of losing a spot in heaven. Guilt in being a flawed human. Pride in being one of the chosen and diplomat of God. Hope for a better future. It is understandable why someone believes, because this religion is emotionally exploitive.

• Like 2

Yes all good points, but do you think christians defend god because their beliefs are god rather than god being their beliefs.

Yes all good points, but do you think christians defend god because their beliefs are god rather than god being their beliefs.

That is a good question, I haven't thought much about it when you put it that way. I think their is truth in both.

Well, it is our thoughts that define who we are. It is what makes us aware of our existence and how we perceive the world. In that sense I do believe that christians defend god because their beliefs are god. It is what drives us, people are not going to do something contrary to what they believe without a really good reason for doing so.

A belief in a deity is how we try to explain the world around us. Just believing that a deity created the world, doesn't in itself explain the how and why the world works the way it does. It not does explain how he wants us to behave, just that he created.  There is nothing inherent in the design that dictates how we should behave, which gives way to speculation.  Speculation of how and why the world works the way it does and how we should behave.

It is easy to speculate but rigorous testing takes work, and it is understandable that people would take the easy way out instead of embracing the scientific method. Especially when there is discouragement towards doing confirmation.  People can believe in God, even if they don't agree with how the preachers say he is. Some may try to adapt their beliefs to what they told, thinking their own beliefs are wrong. Some may go church hopping to find a justification and a better explanation. Some may change religions. Some may become an atheist. Or really any combination. 

If people believe in something strong enough then they will try to do anything to hold onto it, directing their doubt at the self instead of the belief. Some may become even more zealous to shut down the disbelief in the system. It is the belief in God and what they were told about him that guides the thought. How that doubt gets redirected at the belief system, I can't say. I think it depends on what people's values are and the moment and situation the trigger happens. 

Anything that we hold deeply rooted into our ego we feel the need to defend. Human beings seek validation. Apologetics, message board debates, springing forth to the defense of God is just one man's conversation to himself, to validate himself, to brandish the ego and its need to be correct. Nothing bolsters someone up so much as topics of morality, politics, or religion, it seems.

If God existed, that force would need no defense. To me, the only sort of eternal constant law we can understand and that directly influences us are universal laws -- birth, life, death, creation, destruction, consciousness. These things are sure. Can't argue with them, you don't have to take on faith that they exist, and mankind is totally at the whims of them. The force which guides and sets these such laws in place is a way of perceiving God. Would that God need defended? According to Christians, that's precisely what God did, and eternally does.

Knowing that... why in the hell would you even attempt to defend it? That sort of animating energy, frequency, vibration (whatever you want to call it) needs no defense, it does what it will, there is no supplication for it, there is no prayer against it. Christians make such high and exalted claims for God and don't even approach it reverentially -- rather than being amazed at the ineffable or in complete terror and awe that God is behind everything, they approach him all "Buddy Jesus" style. Vacation Bible School. Sing-song, happy-clappy, hyper-emotional praise music. Potlucks. Gospel karaoke.

No, if God existed, he/she/it would not need defended, and it would have no interest in any of this Christianity. People defend it because it can't defend itself against logic and reason. They need to buffer their faith shields unless the Satanic temptation enter their minds that God may not exist, or, the Bible could be morally wrong. Whatever the case may be.

Bingo.

I think it's because Christians need to defend their god in order to hold on to their precious faith. If I come along and hit them with some logic that reveals their god is in league with Satan, whether or not the two are competitors or not, or that reveals that their god set humans up to fail in Genesis, or that their god is an immoral, narcissistic thug, they need to defend their god and make up a bunch of excuses so that what I say is no longer true and then they can go back to clinging to their faith again.

• Like 1

I don't think they're defending God as much as they are bolstering their belief system.

This is the answer 99% of the time.

They are reinforcing their own belief for their own sake, NOT YOURS. If an all powerful omnipresent being actually existed why would they need us to defend them from anything?

• Like 3