Goodbye Jesus

Christianity And Mental Illness

DAZE1231

Is there a correlation between christianity and mental illness, or mental illness and religion in general?

It's certainly an easy argument to make that radical islamic jihadis are f*cking crazy as batshit, so not much empirical evidence is necessary to reach that conclusion. But, how about christians?

The reason why i ask is that i was reading some quotes by well known fathers of the christian faith, and they just struck me as being either completely evil or crazy, or perhaps both. These quotes are mostly related to the topic of eternal torment, and here are just a few choice examples:

Tertullian

"What there excites my admiration? what my derision? Which sight gives me joy? which rouses me to exultation?—as I see so many illustrious monarchs, whose reception into the heavens was publicly announced, groaning now in the lowest darkness with great Jove himself, and those, too, who bore witness of their exultation; governors of provinces, too, who persecuted the Christian name, in fires more fierce than those with which in the days of their pride they raged against the followers of Christ."

Jonathan Edwards

"Reprobate infants are vipers of vengeance, which Jehovah will hold over hell, in the tongs of his wrath, till they turn and spit venom in his face!"

"The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven."

Thomas Aquinas

"That the saints may enjoy their beatitude more thoroughly, and give more abundant thanks for it to God, a perfect sight of the punishment of the damned is granted them."

I'd love to see a study of the brains of people who believe crap like this. I'm almost certain that those parts of the brain responsible for love, compassion, creativity and joy have completely atrophied.

Cheers,

DAZE

As far as I'm concerned, some forms of Christianity are a mental illness and some forms of it are just drugs that give people a good high.

• Like 1

Mental illness (bipolar) is largely the reason I fell to christianity in the first place.  Christianity enhanced the mental illness and made it worse.  

Too bad I didn't submit to religion/mental illness studies at the time.

There are nutjobs everywhere, christianity is usually just another tool they use to enhance their career.

Voice,

Hope you're doing well friend!

-DAZE

"Suppose you were mentally ill. And suppose you were a Christian. But I repeat myself... " - Mark Twain remix.

If there is no sorrow in heaven, then how can we rejoice if we can see loved ones in hell? These guys are talking about their evil persecuters getting their just punishment, which I can sort of understand, but what about the people we love who are non-believers? The theology, once again, makes no damn sense.

• Like 1

I know it's not quite what you're getting at, but I read something a while back about a parts of the brain that when stimulated created emotions related to religion, it's a pretty complex thing which I wouldn't claim to understand but articles like this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120419091223.htm

and this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml

are pretty interesting to me when considering the root of my own religious feelings.

I know that there is evidence to suggest that the trance-like states that congregations get whipped up into, in the belief that it is to do with the Holy Spirit, can be responsible for lasting mental damage.

I know that there is evidence to suggest that the trance-like states that congregations get whipped up into, in the belief that it is to do with the Holy Spirit, can be responsible for lasting mental damage.

Damn, I may be in trouble. Thanks for the warning. Even though we were conservative Lutherans, we had some very touching and moving "healing services", pulling out all the stops on lighting, scent, music, intimate prayer circles, laying on of hands, anointing with oil, etc. It was trance-like indeed, and attributed to the holy spirit.