Goodbye Jesus

Letter To My Mother

Deva

I sent the short "thank you" version.  I asked that she not send me anymore tracts. I know I am going to get more testimony type letters but unless there is a question in one of them addressed to me, I am not going to answer.  Our relationship is so distant and superficial, but I know its better than risking a complete break if I were to be completely honest.

Fundamentalists live in their own little strange world.  Anyone that doesn't believe exactly the same way they do is the enemy, or at least in some way to be pitied.

Its a shame my mother can't see this.  She could see it in the case of her sister, who became a Jehovah's Witness, but is not capable of looking at herself as doing the same thing. 

I appreciate the thoughtfulness and the effort you put into writing out your testimony.  I  will keep (preserve, save?) this letter because I know how important this is to you.  Please know that I will always love you no matter how we may differ on these questions.   I would ask that you please not send me the tract again in the future.  I am very familiar with its contents.

I really like the way you worded that. It's got a great balance between standing up for yourself and respecting that she has a very different set of values, and that's quite hard to do.

• Like 2

If you send it, I really hope it works. clap.gif

Deva: I think your revised letter is perfect. Good for you. No one could have an honest criticism of you for sending that letter.

I hope your mother is able to understand. bill