My Starting De-Conversion

Hi Folks,

Ive spent most of the evening charting the origin of heaven and hell.  And it seams it cropped up around the time of Plato then some of his followers took it and ran with it.  Some of these oddly enough 500 years later were church leaders and as such I can see where ideas of this would come along.

The problem is from my searching I still see through church history that God exists and also Jesus but not as a God.  I have also found the Origin of the Catholic Church and where the concept of the Trinity was derrived from.

Can someone tell me how do you know when God isnt real?  I know I am starting down one track but thats my point.  My point jumped from Plato to the New Greek Empire so I can see some infleunces but none of them Deny God.

Though all of them agree there is 'A God' or 'Gods'.  So far I am in the understanding that Christianity may still be true.

Can someone please discredit christianity with afew simple proofs for me.  I will probably touch upon this but my searching for Gods existance yes or no points at a Large number of people believed in an Abrahamic God or 'A God' to a lesser extent.  Can this be correct?

There are about 5,000 gods that we know of.  I'm sure the list will grow as archeology uncovers more artwork from antiquity.  But think about it.  Millions of years ago our ancestors were animals.  They were very much like clever chimpanzees.  Then slowly over the eons, and quite by accident, being clever gave these animals enough of an edge that it became reinforced by biology.  Many mutations took place that allowed the hominid type animal to have bigger brains and more efficient brains.  Then around 60,000 years ago there was a disaster that nearly killed all human beings.  The only tribe that made it was the smartest one on the planet at that time.

Suddenly we find artwork.  Humans are painting.  They make figurines and sculptures.  And sure enough gods and goddesses show up too.  All of the early gods are as primitive as early human cave paintings.  The mutation that gave these animals the ability to have art also drove them to invent gods.  Then humans start to burry their dead with gifts.  It's profound.  The corps is known to decay and stink.  It is known that it will never move again. so they cover it up but give it useful gifts that it cannot use.  Primitive people tried to come to terms with death.  Generation by generation these people slowly build up their technology.  As they do that the most useful people, the most popular people are the clever ones - the ones who can get the technology to the next level.  Building the better spear or better raft is the thing that gets your tribe to survive.  As these people progress they invent new and better gods that reflect what they have learned.  All through history we can see gods improving right along side the development of literature.  The better humans become at story telling the better their gods become.  Human burials grow more complicated as well.  Literature, godmaking and burials have an intersection when humans invent the concept of an afterlife.

The Bible represents several religions from the bronze age to the early Roman period.  The earliest sources were Canaanite and pagan because that is where the Judaism comes from.  The ideas were heavily influenced by Egyptian religion.  Most of the Ten Commandments were striped from a longer list of Egyptian commandments.  Then the Sea People invaded and kicked the Jewish tribes out of what would become the Philistine land.  That was the real conquest of the Holy Land.  The Jewish tribes fled for their lives and moved into the hills.  They built new villages there and made up new myths and new gods so that they could pretend they were superior.  There were many religious conflicts between Jewish tribes and lots of war as well.  At one point the prophets of their war god started spreading the idea that there was only one god.  Well nothing really came of this in the big picture because one of the larger empires in the region came in and conquered everybody.  

Over time there were all kinds of religious sects in the area.  Every one of these cults claimed to be the one with the truth.  They were no better than charlatans we see today.  But people desperately want to believe in gods so some of the religious sects were popular.  Con artists would work the literature, in this context known as theology, in order to make their personal cult more popular than others.  Any con artist who made a mistake would lose but over time some cults remained popular.  One meme that turned out useful was to pretend that very old writing from another cult was really about your cult.  Sometimes the older text had to be altered or fabricated but the con artists didn't mind.  They are always happy to provide the new true interpretation and thus steal the image of legitimacy from an older cult.  A lot of that was going on during the first through third centuries when the Jesus meme was very popular and there were several dozen gospels each more fantastic than the next.  Well the Roman Empire noticed just how popular the Jesus cult was.  Rome needed something to bind it's entire empire together with a common culture.  So Rome took over Christianity, reworked all the literature to fit Rome's needs and then set about the systematic extermination of any group that didn't fall into line.  The Roman engineering was very successful.  Christianity lasted much longer than the Roman empire itself.  Once the Christian power grab was unleashed it built upon itself and caused the dark ages.  There were witch hunts and crusades and inquisitions.  

Then the human animals started using the printing press and knowledge began to fight back.  As knowledge became more available religion grew less powerful.  Step by step the Church powers were striped way by the enlightenment and the modern world.  Over time we have created this collection of gods.  There are some 5,000 of them.  There is no reason to believe any of them are real.  Each is goofy in his or her own way.  Most are even laughable.  Even today human animals still have the same urge to create gods.  But now we create them in comic books and movies.  Our need to have gods transcends our belief in them.  But we go on making them anyway because it's cool.

TL;DR

Now I ask you to prove to me that comic book heros are not real people.  How do you know it's not a writer being inspired to write about a real person?

• Like 5

Hi Folks,

Ive spent most of the evening charting the origin of heaven and hell.  And it seams it cropped up around the time of Plato then some of his followers took it and ran with it.  Some of these oddly enough 500 years later were church leaders and as such I can see where ideas of this would come along.

The problem is from my searching I still see through church history that God exists and also Jesus but not as a God.  I have also found the Origin of the Catholic Church and where the concept of the Trinity was derrived from.

Can someone tell me how do you know when God isnt real?  I know I am starting down one track but thats my point.  My point jumped from Plato to the New Greek Empire so I can see some infleunces but none of them Deny God.

Though all of them agree there is 'A God' or 'Gods'.  So far I am in the understanding that Christianity may still be true.

Can someone please discredit christianity with afew simple proofs for me.  I will probably touch upon this but my searching for Gods existance yes or no points at a Large number of people believed in an Abrahamic God or 'A God' to a lesser extent.  Can this be correct?

All of your sources mentioned are human.  In short, the claims for the existence of the god you seem to believe exists, or other sky fairies, are of human origin.  As such, these gods and similar sky fairies are human constructs.

Why would you adhere to a mere human construct?  Would you do so based on mere religious faith?  Would you do so because of childhood indoctrination?  Because of peer pressure from your family, friends and acquaitences?

As to your question"Can someone tell me how do you know when God isnt real?", you have the burden of proof backwards.  It is up to you to demonstrate that your particular group of sky fairies actually exist.

Can someone tell me how do you know when God isnt real?

I cant because I don't know. But I also can't tell you, how I can be sure that Zeus or Ra aren't real. When you understand that Christian claims are as stupid as all other religion claims (how is rising from the dead,walking on water or fitting all animals of the world in one fucking boat is more realistic than roman mythology?), you realize there is no need to prove that a supernatural claims are not real. If there is/are any god(s), he/she/they may contact me directly and not through ancient texts. I am sick of wasting my time and you shouldn't waste your time neither.

at a Large number of people believed in an Abrahamic God

A large number of people believed that the earth was flat, that the plaque was a punishment of god and a lot of people believed and followed Hitler....

It might help to disentangle Christianity from theism.  Let's say that everyone in human history has believed in a supernatural being at some point or another, and let's go with the assumption that a commonly held belief is worthy of consideration.  This does absolutely nothing to show that Jesus is God, and that failure to believe in him merits eternal hell.  And let's face it: at the end of the day this is what we all want to know.  Is anyone going to an eternal hell for not believing in this Jesus figure, or not?

Regarding the Abrahamic God: every word of the Old Testament could be true, and that also wouldn't mean that Jesus is God.  Modern day Jews believe in the Old Testament (albeit to varying degrees, much like Christians), and none of them believe in Jesus.  The case for Jesus is very weak indeed.  Christians would have you believe that all their arguments for theism are tantamount to arguments for God's existence.  But that's simply not the case from a logical standpoint.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Can someone please discredit christianity with afew simple proofs for me.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/

• Like 1

Have you spent any time here?

Rejection of Pascals Wager

The problem isn't so much having proof that there are no gods. The problem is finding any credible evidence that there is one!

If you want to look at the "only one god" stories, let's start with the most recent "revelations". Mormons take the one god and his son, and claim he came to North America and spoke to the natives, leaving behind some plates with information that was translated in the 1800s. Most of us reject this out of hand.

Before that, Mohammed claimed to have revelation from that one god. But his revelation takes the already existing Jewish and Christian religions and appropriates their stories, tweaking them to his own liking and making them about a different people. Many people worldwide accept this religion, but it's such an obvious rip off of the other two that any outsider can easily see that it's bogus.

Christianity purports to be the fulfillment of the prophecies of the Jewish religion, yet the Jewish prophets clearly stated that their messiah would set up a permanent kingdom on earth, and they never predicted that the messiah would be the son of their god, but expected a man. Jesus claimed to be always existing (John 8:58 -- before Abraham was, I am), clearly a claim of deity, and he made other similar statements. He also said he wasn't setting up an earthly kingdom ("my kingdom is not of this world", "the kingdom is within you", etc.). Despite the fact that many Christians today believe he will set up that earthly kingdom soon, he actually said that it wasn't going to happen. So clearly he wasn't the fulfillment of the Jewish prophecies.

That leaves us with the Jewish religion. During the period between the testaments, there was a lot of religious writing going on, developing theology that eventually became part of Christianity. This included ideas in the book of Enoch (found among the books at Qumran) about eternal reward in Heaven and eternal punishment in Hell. In this book, also, was the later popular idea that the serpent in the garden of Eden was Satan. This view of the serpent does not agree with the actual text in Genesis, however. In Genesis, it's clearly an ordinary snake, because snakes were said to be sneakier than other animals. Nobody I know actually believes this story. Everyone believes that it was Satan in the garden, and if they hadn't been told this as children and read the story for the first time as adults, they would likely reject it, because Genesis says it's an ordinary snake. Obviously, this account is mythology. And with what we know about the universe, it's also clear that the 6-day creation story is mythology.

So what does this leave us with? I haven't studied Buddhism or Hinduism, but I have no reason to expect that they are any more than speculation about what a god might be like, just as Judiasm is.

So we get back to the original question. It's impossible to prove that there are no gods. The problem is that, if there is one, or if there is more than one, they haven't bothered to reveal themselves to mankind. And if they haven't bothered to reveal themselves to us, then clearly they don't care whether we know they exist or not. And it certainly does us no good to make them up in our own minds and then affirm that they're real, which is what all religions that have gods do.

Can anyone prove that the Divine, in whatever shape or color, doesn't exist? No.

As for the specific version of the Divine that's assumed to be true by the abrahamic cults, though, that's a very different thing. To use a purely secular example, I may not know precisely (down to the millimeter) how far away I am from the Reichstag building in Berlin right now, but from looking at a map I know that the distance is roughly some 200 km, and if anyone told me "you don't know precisely so it must be 5 million km!" I have every right to point at that someone and laugh. Not knowing the absoute correct answer does not mean that you have to accept any possible answer.

Frankly, the deities of the abrahamic cults tend to not even be internally self-consistent (the attributes ascribed to them are mutually incompatible); why should, out of all imaginable religious options, they be the correct one?

• Super Moderator
Can someone tell me how do you know when God isnt real?

When nobody can prove that he is.

Hi Folks,

Maybe since I am new here I just don't get it but what is the point of this post.

No one is going to ever lead you in the end to anything. It is you who chooses to accept or not accept the ideas contained in a theology.

Are you seriously asking if we the modern people of this board (and undoubtedly the world) feel that people from 100s and 1000s of years ago are right in their ASSUMPTION

Hi Folks,

Maybe since I am new here I just don't get it but what is the point of this post.

No one is going to ever lead you in the end to anything. It is you who chooses to accept or not accept the ideas contained in a theology.

Are you seriously asking if we the modern people of this board (and undoubtedly the world) feel that people from 100s and 1000s of years ago are right in their ASSUMPTION

hit wrong button and seeminly cannot edit posts for some reason...

...in their assumption that god exists. What do we know about people from 500 years ago? You think the writing of the time is accurate? Do translations always get it right? Those philosophers of old did have one thing right. Even when they were grieviously wrong they had teh balls to make up their own damn minds. It is the one freedom that is true in this world and probably the only one. You can choose for yourself. You don't need us to disprove something that cannot be proved in the first place. If anything it is you who should provide proof of your claim not just some other fallible mans words in a time when almost nothing about the world around them was known yet.

Seriously man really???

I'll just third all those posts about other religions. The problem here is if Christianity is right. Worldwide, only about 1/3 are Christian, and, historically, lots of very "Christian" populations were, in fact, converted by lots of brutal force. (Lookin' at you, Central and South America. And you, Scandinavia.) Besides, it's not as if there's one Christianity, anyway. Events like the Thirty Years War show this. Given how many wars Europe has, when they feel like getting frisky, it says something profound that this particular war is remembered for its scale and brutality. Historically speaking, Christianity got very lucky, to be tied to political legitimation and power struggles. I'd research the last years of the Roman Empire, and how Christianity came to be a mainstream religion, from its status as a fringe cult of Judaism. Then there's the role Christianity had in backing up the power of kings in Europe, and then backing up European colonial empires.

The thing is, religions spread for reasons unrelated to how "true" they are, they spread because of what they do for human power structures. The history of Christianity totally aside, we can see this in things like the Bird Man movement on Rapa Nui. People don't raise monuments, whole cities, temples, pyramids, and cathedrals just because they believe in something, they do it because it does something for their society, in terms of reinforcing power structures. Divine right of kings in Europe and all that. No coincidence that Regicide went together with the dismantlement of church authority and power. If Kings are there as God's political regent on Earth, they're untouchable. Attack the Church's economic power, as in the French revolution, and, suddenly, the King becomes a viable target to depose, and even behead. Or, if you will, the Aztecs. Same deal, there. Their political empire went hand in hand with a religious belief in human sacrifice. Flower warfare, for gaining human sacrifices, was also a means to gain territory. No, the city of Tenochtitlan and its temples were not built on belief alone. They were the living heart of a military and political empire. The sacrifices were part of this conquest. Why should St Peter's Basilica be any different? The church, as a political and economic engine for legitimizing European Kings was the living heart of European culture for centuries. It's not a coincidence that the first King to break with the Church did so for political reasons, and afterwords backed it up with religion. Protestantism spread like it did because Kings across Europe saw the chance to gain that divine right to rule for themselves, and not have to go through Rome to get it. Which brings us back to the Thirty Years War. People don't fight like that for sky pie. The belief in pie is a means to a political end. Ditto modern religious terrorism of all stripes.

Edit: in conclusion, personal beliefs are one thing, but religions, by definition as social functions and structures, exist only as they back up political, economic, and military power.

I understand what people are saying and for a few weeks I was doing well I had become firm and Grounded but the last few days I am thinking who are my fooling God is real and the risk if I get it wrong.

I will continue to deny the evidence of the Bible e.g. I can plainly see its messed up but there's that 1% saying What If.  Please tell me this goes away folks as I learn more.

E.g. It feels like Torment right now as I am worried about what happens if I do not believe and is it worth the Gamble but the problem with believing is I know there's problems.  I've only started my deconversion

Any advice?

I understand what people are saying and for a few weeks I was doing well I had become firm and Grounded but the last few days I am thinking who are my fooling God is real and the risk if I get it wrong.

I will continue to deny the evidence of the Bible e.g. I can plainly see its messed up but there's that 1% saying What If.  Please tell me this goes away folks as I learn more.

E.g. It feels like Torment right now as I am worried about what happens if I do not believe and is it worth the Gamble but the problem with believing is I know there's problems.  I've only started my deconversion

Any advice?

All this time you have failed to sacrifice to Zeus.  You have offered him no offerings of any kind.  Aren't you going to be sorry if Zeus turns out to be real?

All this time you have ignored the proper teachings.  Won't you be sorry if you get to the afterlife and Anubis weights your heart and finds it wanting?  What are you going to do then?

All this time you have been unfaithful to Alah and unfaithful to the prophet Mohammed, blessed be he.  Won't you be sorry when you life ends and you will have to stand in judgement for your misdeeds?

All this time you have failed to sacrifice anything to Oden.  Won't you be sorry when you get to the gates of Valhala and you are turned away?

All this time you have been unfaithful to . . . 

4,900 more 

• Like 1

Any advice?

I spent 18 years listening to my parents trying to get me to actually believe the non-sense they dribbled from their mouths. Damn I love those two. It was hard some days to feel good about knowing even at 10 that they were wrong. I was lucky I was born with a skeptical mind and my parents made the mistake (or gift) of teaching me to think critically before they really taught me about religions. I could never accept what they said without proof after and was asked to leave many times from "sunday" school and youth groups because I simply would not just take at face value some of the obviously absurd stories these people expected us to believe.

My advice would be live your life now. Don't wait until tomorrow. You don't need a god to live a good ethical life in which you love others and they love you. You don't need the idea of god(s) getting in the way of that love. How can you honestly follow a good who says love is good and then smites people simply because they didn't agree with him? Is it reasonable to assume that since a higher power "could" do a thing that it should do a thing? If we are made in gods image then he must be the biggest asshole in the universe seriously. We fight, lie, cheat and steal like fiends on average on earth. If this is what a so called god had in mind as "in my image" I wonder if god wears his pants at his ankles or a really expensive suit to hide the smell of scam that his deals always seem to gravitate towards.

My advice would be use your brain to think critically and see ancient superstition with zero proof for what it is. A good story in a time when people lacked the reasoning ability that we in the modern world have grown up to have. One day these ancient beliefs will be gone and people will study how theology affected ancient man while asking this questions: How could a population that came so far on its own believe in an obvious falicy for so many hundreds of years after reason began???

Any advice?

Just continue to educate yourself and the guilt complexes and fear will go away. It took me a few years for a full deconversion from radical Xtian to atheist. It doesn't happen overnight. Your mind has to adapt to these new ideas and develop new thinking patterns. Allow the pursuit of truth to overcome fear!

Just continue to educate yourself and the guilt complexes and fear will go away. It took me a few years for a full deconversion from radical Xtian to atheist. It doesn't happen overnight. Your mind has to adapt to these new ideas and develop new thinking patterns. Allow the pursuit of truth to overcome fear!

Yes, this is true of most people here.  I will say though that I seem to be some kind of exception.  For me, deconversion pretty much did happen overnight.  Well OK, it took a week, but still it was very fast.  Since joining this forum and talking to others here, I've often wondered why it is that I deconverted so quickly.  Maybe it's because my belief in Jesus was never based on the ridiculous scientific claims the Bible made.  I was into science before I was a Christian and have never bought into science vs. religion arguments (still don't), so when I became a Christian my belief in Jesus didn't stem from a belief in the Bible's historical claims or claims about creation.  Likewise, when departing Christianity I didn't need to mull over the age of the earth or evolution, since my faith had never been built on that foundation.

Or it could have just been that I came from another religion, and had something I could readily go back to.  In any case, I'm glad I was able to get my mind out of Christianity as fast as I did!

One can't prove that God does not exist, nor has anyone proved he does.  You have to come to your own conclusion based on your perception of the evidence or just keep searching.

One can't prove that God does not exist, nor has anyone proved he does.  You have to come to your own conclusion based on your perception of the evidence or just keep searching.

No I cannot prove he does not exist, then again I did not make the claim that he did.

In general the burden of proof lies on those making claims. Those that are more skeptical will seek to find merit or a lack of merit in those claims. I have never once in over 30 years of viewing religion seen one shred of proof of the claims.

I have always been curious what others would call sure proof of god.

I know the only thing I would accept is a god literally showing up and making me shudder under his power. Standing before me and laughing in my face would be a good start. I would not mind feeling small to something that was ACTUALLY larger than I am in my mind. So far the only thing that makes me feel small is when I look up at the sky at night and realize the volume of possiblities that are out there. Sure god may be out there someplace but if we are so important to him that he won't even give up a true proof and see how it unfolds in a universe he supposedly controls then i say fuck it I will go with what I see and hear. The only people in my head are the community of my own voices, never heard any gods in there.

• Like 1

Any advice?

The 1% "what if" part is something you will have to face and resolve one day when you are ready.  Christianity has one or two fundamental traps that hold you down.  One is the question of believing Christ was raised from the dead, and another is fear of hell.  On the other side of both of these conditions christianity puts over you, there is natural peace which you can find.  It's hard getting through these conditions for some people; it was for me, it took years to get past the fear of the 1% chance.  Christianity wants you to be afraid.  That's the part to remember, it's Christianity and its followers that want you to be afraid, not God. 

What you need to fear is not a god's punishment, but the wrath of people who want you to think and do as they say.  Assess the worst those people can/will do to you if you don't, and you will know how to face it with confidence.

congratulations on taking your first steps along deconversion.It aint easy especially where you are from i'm sure.Now you have your whole life ahead of you as a free man.

*Takes out his deconversion kit, blows the dust off...*

The four pillars of xianity and why they do not work.

1. Genesis - creation
  2. Flood
  3. Exodus
  4. Jeebus

1, a single pair is unable to rear offspring that will propagate a species. We know this because of what we now know of genetics. You cannot boink your sister and expect offspring that will be normal. Even isolated societies like the Amish have genetic issues because of inbreeding. Oh and Eve would have been a clone of Adam just with a pussy. X, Y Chromosomes and all. Whoops!

If that never happened the concept of original sin is moot.

2, The global flood never happened b/c we have river deltas, lake varves void of evidence of this and the Antarctic ice cores dated between 400 and 730 THOUSAND years. Timeline for the fludd is ±4000 years ago. Lots of other geological proofs, this never happened. Also 3 pairs repopulating and pairs of critters do not work b/c of genetics.

3, Exodus and the law. 6M folk apparently fled and wandered around in the desert for 40 years, got teh lawz at mount Sinai. Simple math proves this never happened (apart from the lack of any archaeological evidence of this happening. A few pots and pans lost along the way and all...) Each person would require 2l of water a day (ideal temperate climate) to survive. 20kl trucks parked nose to tail would form a convoy of 8.3km long and that is just the water for ONE day (humans only) Miriam's well or the Rock of Horeb does not work either. Either one would have to service (a water collector collecting say 10l of water in a 12 hour period for an average family of 5) 2.7 per second. What a gusher...

These are three events through which the lineage of Jeebus is traced. Ergo, if these three are highly questionable as illustrated, then it stands to reason, whoever the Jeebus fella was, he pretty much was made up by whoever invented the religion and as you probably have discovered (?) the exploits are eerily similar to Horus, Mithra and Krishna who predate him.

Hmmmm.

Now the real conundrum is, why the fuck would an occupying force adopt the religion of a conquered foe seeing that the beeg war circa 70 CE sent them running for the hills? Did America adopt islame after the ME oil warz on teh mooslums and tweak it to introduce to the US? Silly huh?

If you dig deep enough, you will see the jews stole most of their stories from other cultures, we actually have clay Sumerian tablets dating to 13,000BCE yet the ark of the covenant is nowhere to be seen. See if we had rock tablets, we could actually date the shit and analyse if they were of divine origin or chiselled out by some goat herder with rudimentary tools, in fact the AoC would be smiting anyone who dared to even touch it. (According to the babble it is now back in heaven according to the book of Revelation - how convenient?)

Even the jews of today are not who they claim to be. Let us say 2 couples survived the war 70CE (ignoring genetic constraints) and bred to each have 5 kids that went on to have 5 kids each and so on.... You should have a population in excess of 450M today with a constant of 3 generations surviving at any one time for an average lifespan (a biblical generation) of 40 years. Yet there are only ~15M worldwide???? And half of them live in the USA. Their origins are from Turkey and not Israel and probably VERY recent.

The only way any of this can work is an appeal to magic and when that card is played, you have effectively lost all credibility.

*Puts away deconversion kit*

• Like 4

Thanks for all your insights you folks are true good people.  I have to say living in N. Ireland is a very hard thing if your athiest as 80% of people believe in God in some concept that is mangled with some bible teachings.  So when you have so many believe its jard not to believe.