Goodbye Jesus

Diversity Hiring Bs

Yrth

What bullshit phrasing you choose. "If" the states want to . That's why the troglodytes in the Republican Party talk so much about "states rights", is it? Ii isn't because they want to provide governmental serves to people who need it instead of the federal government; they want to deny those services. "Let them eat cake." No compassion, no sympathy. Let 'em die in their "laziness". Well, at least they pretend it's laziness, while they give little or no services to the poor. Do you actually contend that the state governments are free to ignore the health, safety and welfare of their poor and deprived  citizens, while subsidizing the wealthy and providing "incentives" to out of state business to set up in their state?

No!!! It is the obligation of government to provide for the public health, safety and welfare which all of the states have done to one degree or another, but not enough. The states, having chosen to do so, must do it reasonably and fairly to accomplishes the purpose. And if they don't, the federal Government has the power to force them to do so, or at the least ought to have that power. Otherwise, these greedy bastards who control the state's governments will continue to make a mockery of the great promises of our country has made. I truly don't understand where compassion has gone in this country.

bill

"Show me where it says it is in the Constitution that the GOVERNMENT'S responsibility to show compassion please."

I'll say, the Preamble.

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

That sounds like a pretty compassionate preamble to me. :-)

I am not promoting or defending any particular federal or state program. i'm making a broad point that the government is supposed to be for the people, not just the rich. To may amazement we don't even have agreement on that broad principle. And it appears we won't. That being the case I am not willing to raise my blood pressure for a futile discussion any more than I already have.   bill

I am not promoting or defending any particular federal or state program. i'm making a broad point that the government is supposed to be for the people, not just the rich. To may amazement we don't even have agreement on that broad principle. And it appears we won't. That being the case I am not willing to raise my blood pressure for a futile discussion any more than I already have.   bill

Well I would of course agree with this point, I just don't see how it's relevant to diversity. 

Both of you guys have valid points. Historically this nation did set up an entire race for a bad situation, so ethically it's a nice idea to try try to right that wrong. Is this the government's role? Well, since the government had a role in allowing this to happen, the government is probably obligated (and probably the only entity large enough) to try to un-do it. However, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Expanding opportunities for education and employment is an honorable step, but I think we're seeing that you can lead a horse to water, but... There are larger and deeper social issues getting in the way, and our band-aid solution is not getting to the root of it.

I generally don't like the government getting involved in such things, because there are always such infinite unintended consequences, as we have been discussing here. Would I like the government to butt out? Yes. Do I have an alternate solution? No. So here we are.

We are not going to solve this problem here, but I have appreciated all your discussions. Peace, my friends!

• Like 1

I am perhaps 1/32 Native American, it's not something I even think about, certainly don't try to exploit. I was taken back recently when in discussing college plans about our son my wife suggested maybe we could exploit that and try for a scholarship. My reaction was such she never brought it up again. Just goes to show how this stuff has corrupted us all...

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with much of what was said here, but on the other side of the fence there's still issues:

Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Skyrocket

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/04/10/black-woman-pretends-to-be-white-job-offers-skyrocket-video/

Just for laughs I checked the box for 'other' on a.couple of the job applications I sent out after college. I didn't hear back from either of those.

I'm sure this varies by industry - but from what I've seen though, if you're a female engineer... you've got a job. Period. This line of work skews heavily toward male nerds. Both companies and universities would like to level out that demographic - for political/PR reasons I guess.

Former female engineer here, BSME, EIT. Had to leave the profession to find work.

Agree with much of what was said here, but on the other side of the fence there's still issues:

Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Skyrocket

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/04/10/black-woman-pretends-to-be-white-job-offers-skyrocket-video/

Just for laughs I checked the box for 'other' on a.couple of the job applications I sent out after college. I didn't hear back from either of those.

I'm sure this varies by industry - but from what I've seen though, if you're a female engineer... you've got a job. Period. This line of work skews heavily toward male nerds. Both companies and universities would like to level out that demographic - for political/PR reasons I guess.

Former female engineer here, BSME, EIT. Had to leave the profession to find work.

Sorry to hear that... glad you found work elsewhere anyhow.

Maybe my perspective is skewed... I dunno.  But for whatever reason female engineers appear to be in huge demand in the aircraft industry at least.  I can't say about other industries.

At my last job, my boss said that more of the female engineers he interviewed had passed the EIT. (He also remarked that I was the only candidate who attempted every problem he gave in the interview, and that I'd won a design competition.) I actually had a lot of female classmates, and this was 20 years ago.

Be that as it may, I honestly couldn't say whether employers prefers female engineers to males. I have heard, in ways to believe it, that women quit the profession at a high rate.