Goodbye Jesus

Atheist's Personal Libraries

Karhoof

Hello again, everybody!  I’m just returning here from an unwanted absence that kept me away longer than expected.  The recession and failing recovery has had me on a shoestring for nearly 4 years now.  No work = no internet connection.

While not exactly smiling at me, fortune has at least glanced in my direction recently, so at least I can spend some time here again.

During that time away, I’ve been reading nearly anything I can get my hands on, and I’m always looking for significant titles.  If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to let me know some of your favorites.

My current personal library contains 80+ relevant books on religion (pro and con), science, history, sociology, etc…  Of these, the most significant titles (for me) are…

The Mythmaker – Hyam Maccoby

Who Wrote The New Testament? – Burton Mack

The Complete Works of Josephus – translated by William Whiston

The God Delusion – Richard Dawkins

The End of Faith – Sam Harris  (I’d like a lot more of this author)

The Gnostic Gospels – Elaine Pagels  (would like a lot more of this author as well)

Origin of Species – Charles Darwin

Finding Darwin’s God – Kenneth Miller

Darwin’s Dangerous Idea – Daniel Dennet

The Triumph of Evolution and the Failure of Creationism – Niles Eldredge

At the Heart of the Web – George Seielstad

Why God Won’t Go Away – Andrew Newberg and Eugene D’Aquill

Plus numerous lesser titles, the Bible in 7 different versions, college texts, etc…

As a side note, every book that I own was purchased at super bargain prices, so a decent library can be had for those who are broke… or cheap.  Most of the titles above were purchased for only $1 or so at used book sales.  Surprisingly, church rummage sales are also a great place for anti-religious books.  Churches won’t throw ANYTHING away that they can make $1 on.

So… what titles (and authors) am I missing?  I have a Wish List, but suggestions are welcome.

• Super Moderator

That list seems to be a good basic library of Heathenism!

I'm no longer interested in refuting apologetics or changing anyone's mind. I don't seek out confirmation that my conclusions are valid. I just can't get interested in theology or anti-theology any longer, so I have no "atheist library." In real life, it's a big non-issue for me. I keep a copy of The God Delusion to lend to anyone who may be interested. 

I just finished Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. It's not a book for or against religion but it's a great read for a de-convert who might want to raise their consciousness on the subject of Darwinism and natural selection.