Goodbye Jesus

I Miss Some Things About It

ogilvy

It's been a few years now since I found that I couldn't believe in Christianity, must be about 5 years now. To be honest, lately I've been thinking that in some ways I was happier when I used to genuinely believe in the Bible and Christianity and was involved in church. I haven't actually found anything better. That isn't to say that I think I was mistaken to stop believing. I wasn't mistaken. I was  right in thinking that it didn't make sense and that I could no longer believe in it. I hate the God I used to believe in, yet I still miss the way I used to believe in 'Him' before I was confronted with the fact that God is actually cruel. When I was still under the delusion that God was a loving God I felt some secure in the world and had hope of a better life after death. Now that I'm no longer delusional about that I should feel better but actually I've felt steadily worse! Christians would love to hear this statement and take it as proof that their way is right but it doesn't prove that. It just proves that I was happier when I was under the delusion. Just thought I'd put this out there, after not having posted here in a while.

• Like 4

pippa_wonders: I think you hit it on the head: It doesn't prove anything. That's the choice we all made when we decided to investigate Xtianity, isn't it? It doesn't surprise me: it may be easier for some to live in a magic world where everything is wonderful, until the harsh realities of life hit. I haven't looked up the statistics on this, but I'll bet that mental illness is just as prevalent in Xtianity as with non-believers. When the xtians are not actually in a christian group or setting, I think they are the same is everyone else in reference to happiness. Suggestion: If you can really get involved in some activity "greater than yourself" I'll wager your moods will improve. I sure hope so and wish you well.  

Besides, I also bet a lot of us feel that way occasionally. But we don't want to be anybodys patsy.   bill

Have you looked for humanist groups in your area?

...I was happier when I was under the delusion...

"I was happier when I was delusional" is different than "I was happier then because I was delusional". An intersection of time and psychological state is not a causal relationship (although it could be argued that delusions make people happy...).

I think you need to make a list of what you miss, and then find ways to get that back....without the Jim Jones/delusion/Santa Claus crap..... It's time to get to know people and form supportive networks; it's time to flourish, friend!

I can relate. I miss the -certainty-!! I was so damn convinced that I was right, had the truth...*sigh*. There was comfort, even if delusional, comfort in "knowing".

I agree w/ Mr. Two. I go to Humanist meetings, kind of helps me to feel like I'm a part of something as I will admit I kinda miss the brotherhood. Even though in the bible cult the relationships were

very controlled and not deep at all..it was still people to hang with, have a meal with, etc. I'm actually realizing that i am now happy to be just by myself and my family. Like after the cult I don't want to

let too many people into my sphere of life.  Jaded I guess.

I think others have felt the way you do. ;)

I'm actually realizing that i am now happy to be just by myself and my family. Like after the cult I don't want to let too many people into my sphere of life.  Jaded I guess.

I have found the same thing. Sunday mornings with my hubby and daughter riding bikes around the lake trail, grocery shopping, swimming... ah, nice! The return of Thursday night date night with hubby and daughter, instead of trying to squeeze it in before or after choir practice (with the insecure director who visibly hates my guts), or moving it to another night... ah, the freedom. Spending time with the two people who know me and care about me rather than a bunch of people who don't... ah, the fulfillment.

• Like 2

It's a passing phase I think this nostalgia for the past. When I think about it there's more not to miss than to miss.

• Like 2

There are “liberal” forms of Christianity for those that miss the social environment that church attendence provides. Liberal forms of Christianity do not usually interpret the bible literally.  They tend to view the bible as metaphor and allegory, but Jesus is still generally accepted as God incarnate at least by the clergy.

Their services are normally focused on the ritual of worship rather than the traditional fundamentalist’s emphasis on sin, repentance, and hell. That approach apparently works for a number of people who are not particularly dogmatically religious or who are not particularly religious at all. It provides some social interaction and fellowship without the dogma.

I suppose to be a liberal Christian requries the ability to accept God & Jesus as symbols of spirituality and to be able to somehow make that work and still be willing to wear the name Christian. I can't do that, but I assume some who need some form of spirituality in their life and the social element that comes with church attendence can. or maybe they just have a unique ability to fake it and make it look real while they are in the presence of those who call themselves Christians.

That's why Ethical Humanism is so great! You can have the social environment without the dogma. At the EHS I go to there are always interesting speakers and a social hour after

the Sunday program.

Someday I hope I can be more involved, but for now I'm layin' low. ;)

http://ethicalhuman.org/

.. ah, the freedom. Spending time with the two people who know me and care about me rather than a bunch of people who don't... ah, the fulfillment.

So true!!