Goodbye Jesus

What Can You Do That Is So Bad That You Can Never Be Forgiven?

mydisplayname

Hi SciWalker and thank you for your response.

I think is takes great personal courage to interact with us here. I would love an honest opinion from yourself. 

You've seen the clear blasphemy that I posted. Would you say that if I would ask Jesus for forgiveness that he would refuse me?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Hi SciWalker and thank you for your response.

I think is takes great personal courage to interact with us here. I would love an honest opinion from yourself. 

You've seen the clear blasphemy that I posted. Would you say that if I would ask Jesus for forgiveness that he would refuse me?

Please don't read my words as coming from a xtian as they don't, I'm not one. I think you're the courageous one; if people here weren't still terrified of that passage, you would have seen far more contemptuous comments on this thread.

I have suffered the same fear -- and it comes back to me sometimes, as it did today; usually after I have had too much to drink the night before, as that is when my brain physiology is a bit messed up and I'm in a negative frame of mind.

Think of the siege of Haarlem. The protestant Dutch were holed up there and the Spanish moving in for the kill. The Dutch began appearing on the parapets and walls dressed in bishop robes and making obscene gestures. They also took icons and religious statues from the Catholic churches and put them up along the walls so they'd get blown up by the incoming Spanish cannon fire. They also hung priests.

And what about the Reformation, when almost every church in England had all its Catholic iconography defaced and/or smashed up. What about Martin Luther, who would surely have felt, were it not that he was enlightened, that he could have been committing the same blasphemy, in view of the fact that church doctrine was (and is) considered to be divinely inspired.

Religion evolves by popular contempt for enshrined ideas - a getting back to basics.

SciWalker, see this is my problem. I don't know where to place you.

I've read some of your other posts and I'm comfortable saying that you're smarter than I am. Much smarter.

On the one hand you're saying that you're not a christian, but on the other I see "Authentic Christian Believer" next to your name.

I'm not sure where I stand. Do you believe Jesus christ died on the cross for your sins? 

I've read some of your other posts and I'm comfortable saying that you're smarter than I am. Much smarter.

On the one hand you're saying that you're not a christian, but on the other I see "Authentic Christian Believer" next to your name.

I'm not sure where I stand. Do you believe Jesus christ died on the cross for your sins? 

I didn't put that crap there, and I don't know what it's doing against my name. I think it's one of these things that changes according to some criterion, like how many posts you've posted, or perhaps someone in the site administration is just having fun and trying to get people going.

I don't believe Jesus lived, let alone died, let alone on the cross, let alone for my sins.

PS I was committed what I expect the vast majority of fundies consider abominable blasphemy, with a microphone, in front of a 50-strong audience in the local fundy-church, for a period of some five or ten minutes. I worked in some jokes, but there was no  laughter. You could hear a pin drop. This was a response to having had far too many years of knowing such people.

I won't be discussing this any further, BTW - although it was a delight at the time, a lot of pain comes my way if I talk about it.

Many Christians in former times would say that "speaking" against the Holy Spirit is not principally about the use of language, but rather acting in a way that insults the Spirit.  This would take the form of repeated sin "against the light", eventually resulting in mental and moral breakdown, after which the soul is irrecoverable.

Yeah, threatening an athiest with hell is like threatening someone with monopoly jail.

I hope you don't mind, but I am soooooo going to use this! What a hoot!

I'd love to take credit for it, but sadly I'm not that original. Plus I think I screwed it up. Should have said:

Threatening an atheist with Hell is like sending them to Monopoly Jail as a punishment for not being willing to play 

I would like to place your quote on Facebook.

Yeah, threatening an athiest with hell is like threatening someone with monopoly jail.

I'd love to take credit for it, but sadly I'm not that original. Plus I think I screwed it up. Should have said:

Threatening an atheist with Hell is like sending them to Monopoly Jail as a punishment for not being willing to play 

That's funny.  Very funny.

Put in the first/second person, it could read as follows:

"Threatening me with Hell is like sending me to Monopoly Jail when I wasn't even playing Monopoly in the first place."

I didn't put that crap there, and I don't know what it's doing against my name. I think it's one of these things that changes according to some criterion, like how many posts you've posted, or perhaps someone in the site administration is just having fun and trying to get people going.

I don't believe Jesus lived, let alone died, let alone on the cross, let alone for my sins.

Ok. That makes more sense. I suggest you have it sorted out though. Or add a signature saying it's wrong.

I've reread your posts now that I know you're not trying to convert me.

I like what you're saying here. I've been thinking about that for a while but haven't been able to summarize it in one sentence.

Religion evolves by popular contempt for enshrined ideas - a getting back to basics.

That's funny.  Very funny.

Put in the first/second person, it could read as follows:

"Threatening me with Hell is like sending me to Monopoly Jail when I wasn't even playing Monopoly in the first place."

SInce everyone is enjoying this so much I went and got some more.

1) Threatening an atheist with hell is like threatening to force feed a vegetarian unicorn meat..

2) Threatening an atheist with hell is like a hippie threatening to punch you in your aura.

3) Threatening an atheist with hell is like threatening someone who don't believe in Harry Potter with being sent to Azkaban.

4) Threatening an atheist with hell is like a Hindu person telling you not believing in hinduism will cause you to be reincarnated as a dung beetle.

5) Threatening an atheist with hell is like telling an Adult they aren't going to get any presents of Santa this year.

Please note that I did try and quote the original names of people who said these but it just started becoming too much of a mission of tracking them down so I just stole them. Sorry.

• Like 1