Goodbye Jesus

How To Respond To My Father?

WaitingInfinity

I appreciate all your comments. thanks.gif

As for my major, which seems like a tangential topic, I have been told multiple times to pursue a job in the healthcare or engineering fields as I am talented at math and science. However, I can't stand blood/guts/sick people, so healthcare is out and as for engineering, I always wanted a job that I would enjoy. I may be good at math, but I certainly do not care for it and I would be beside myself if I had to go to work and do math every day. I had no idea what i wanted to do when I entered college! I decided I would try a business class, but I was bored by that. Psychology and Philosophy were the subjects that intrigued me. And I absolutely love them. Sure, I'll have to go to grad school for them to be worth anything, but I like school, so I don't mind too much. 

I thought about going for a career where I could have a job and a lot of money. But, I wanted to be in a job that did not feel like a job.

I would still love to be a marriage/family counselor someday. That is approximately a two year course of study before I can be licensed. So, four years from now, I could be a licensed counselor. RenaissanceWoman did mention that secular marriage counselors are rare, so I might actually be useful. I did look up marriage counselors in my area to see who offers premarital counseling for nonChristian couples, but I did not find any (maybe because I live in the dang Bible Belt!). People don't like to go to counselors who do not have different religions/worldviews because their approaches to therapy are completely different. A premarital session with a Christian counselor would be odd for my boyfriend and I because they would feel almost inclined to tell us about God since God is so "pivotal" to healthy relationships. And, since America is becoming increasingly irreligious, secular counselors are needed. 

I suppose one of my "flaws" is having a lot of hope. 

I'm more worried about my dad finding out that my faith is already dead than the security of my future career. Seems sort of backwards. blink.png But I hope it all works out in the end.

My wife is a psychologist, so I can tell you a little bit about her real-world experience in that job market.  It boils down to this:

If you have a bachelor's degree in psychology, you can get a job with meaningful work (say social worker, case manager, or the like)- but it won't pay much.  We're talkin' 11-14/hour here in the Midwest.  I'm sure it's somewhat higher in places with a higher cost of living- but still barely enough to pay rent.

If you get a master's degree, you can make enough to pay the bills.  Maybe 15-25/hour here in the Midwest.  I know one person with a master's in psychology making $80k/year (roughly $40/hour)... but she's been in that line of work for decades, and her husband has political connections.

If you want to make a good middle-class salary that'll buy you a nice cardboard-castle in the burbs and a new vehicle every couple of years, you'll have to have a phd, psy-D, or the like.

I'm not trying to discourage you- just trying to give you a realistic picture of what to expect.

Social workers in my area of which my wife is one start around 22$ per hour. I am not sure how your wife is getting the shaft or where you got these numbers from but you might want to check again.

I can get a job washing dishes in my city for 10$ an hour for god sake.

What is the source of your data?

My wife isn't on that pay scale seeings how she's a supervisor and has a master's degree. These numbers are based on what her staff makes, what she made at previous jobs, and what her friends make. I know of what I post here.

What part of the country are you in? Our mediocre Midwestern city has a pretty low cost of living (you can buy a pretty nice house here for $120k, for example). I've no doubt pay would be higher elsewhere, but I know of one social worker in Chicago who was making only $13/hour several years ago. This is NOT a high-paying field - particularly for people at entry level and with only a Bachelors.

As for my major, which seems like a tangential topic, I have been told multiple times to pursue a job in the healthcare or engineering fields as I am talented at math and science. However, I can't stand blood/guts/sick people, so healthcare is out and as for engineering, I always wanted a job that I would enjoy. I may be good at math, but I certainly do not care for it and I would be beside myself if I had to go to work and do math every day. I had no idea what i wanted to do when I entered college! I decided I would try a business class, but I was bored by that. Psychology and Philosophy were the subjects that intrigued me. And I absolutely love them. Sure, I'll have to go to grad school for them to be worth anything, but I like school, so I don't mind too much. 

I thought about going for a career where I could have a job and a lot of money. But, I wanted to be in a job that did not feel like a job.

I would still love to be a marriage/family counselor someday. That is approximately a two year course of study before I can be licensed. So, four years from now, I could be a licensed counselor. RenaissanceWoman did mention that secular marriage counselors are rare, so I might actually be useful. I did look up marriage counselors in my area to see who offers premarital counseling for nonChristian couples, but I did not find any (maybe because I live in the dang Bible Belt!). People don't like to go to counselors who do not have different religions/worldviews because their approaches to therapy are completely different. A premarital session with a Christian counselor would be odd for my boyfriend and I because they would feel almost inclined to tell us about God since God is so "pivotal" to healthy relationships. And, since America is becoming increasingly irreligious, secular counselors are needed. 

I'm more worried about my dad finding out that my faith is already dead than the security of my future career. Seems sort of backwards. blink.png But I hope it all works out in the end.

My wife is a psychologist, so I can tell you a little bit about her real-world experience in that job market.  It boils down to this:

If you have a bachelor's degree in psychology, you can get a job with meaningful work (say social worker, case manager, or the like)- but it won't pay much.  We're talkin' 11-14/hour here in the Midwest.  I'm sure it's somewhat higher in places with a higher cost of living- but still barely enough to pay rent.

If you get a master's degree, you can make enough to pay the bills.  Maybe 15-25/hour here in the Midwest.  I know one person with a master's in psychology making $80k/year (roughly $40/hour)... but she's been in that line of work for decades, and her husband has political connections.

If you want to make a good middle-class salary that'll buy you a nice cardboard-castle in the burbs and a new vehicle every couple of years, you'll have to have a phd, psy-D, or the like.

I'm not trying to discourage you- just trying to give you a realistic picture of what to expect.

Social workers in my area of which my wife is one start around 22$ per hour. I am not sure how your wife is getting the shaft or where you got these numbers from but you might want to check again.

My wife isn't on that pay scale seeings how she's a supervisor and has a master's degree. These numbers are based on what her staff makes, what she made at previous jobs, and what her friends make. I know of what I post here.

What part of the country are you in? Our mediocre Midwestern city has a pretty low cost of living (you can buy a pretty nice house Herr for $120k, for example). I've no doubt pay would be higher elsewhere, but I know of one social worker in Chicago who was making only $13/hour several years ago. This is NOT a high-paying field - particularly for people at entry level and with only a Bachelors.

I guess I am glad I don't live there then. Hope it improves for you all in that area.

I appreciate all your comments. :thanks:

I'm more worried about my dad finding out that my faith is already dead than the security of my future career. Seems sort of backwards. :blink: But I hope it all works out in the end.

What part of the country are you in? Our mediocre Midwestern city has a pretty low cost of living (you can buy a pretty nice house Herr for $120k, for example). I've no doubt pay would be higher elsewhere, but I know of one social worker in Chicago who was making only $13/hour several years ago. This is NOT a high-paying field - particularly for people at entry level and with only a Bachelors.

I guess I am glad I don't live there then. Hope it improves for you all in that area.

Thanks. May I ask in what region of the country do social workers start out at 22/hr?

I promise I won't stalk you. Something like "pacific northwest", or "East Coast" would suffice. We're in Kansas... deep within Bush Country where Pakistan's standard of living would be only slightly below the mean.

Start your own practice as a psychologist (5 years of college in my area) then bill that insurance!  I went to one a few times and was charged $175 per hour (Northern Nevada)

Start your own practice as a psychologist (5 years of college in my area) then bill that insurance!  I went to one a few times and was charged $175 per hour (Northern Nevada)

Laws vary by state- but to work in private practice in most states, a master's level psych has to be working under the supervision of a phd level psych.

Good to hear you have a plan in mind.  Since you don't want to be dependent on your Christian parents, it's important to have a decent career outlook!