Goodbye Jesus

Christians Fit A Mold For Some Reason

antix

Started a new part time job at a really cool place. One older guy (late 60s), nice enough and very helpful mentioned his weekly bible study. I did respond towards that and we kept discussing work and some local medical doctors vs chiropractors.  A little later he comes back to my area to show me this supplement he sells and would like to know if I would like to get on the bandwagon and start selling it.  What is it with christians and multi level marketing, I have seen this before big time.

I think Christianity itself is sort of like multi-level marketing.  The more people you convert (sales), the bigger your payoff in heaven.  Cha ching.

• Like 6

I've run in to Christians who are also involved with Amway.

In somes cases it's a cult within a cult.

A church setting invites this kind of activity because of its appeal to be a "member" of a special club.

• Like 1

I think Christianity itself is sort of like multi-level marketing.  The more people you convert (sales), the bigger your payoff in heaven.  Cha ching.

Yes, this. Then I'd always feel guilty because you should be doing it out of the goodness of your heart and not for any rewards. But then you're promised heavenly rewards. So confusing. 

I was tricked into going to an AMWAY meeting one time. What amazed me was that it was in every respect like a fundamentalist church revival. The exact same sales tactics were used. It was uncanny. Until I began to gain more understanding about how things work in the real world I thought that the evangelists' had a spiritual gift which enabled them to touch my emotions for christ. Indeed, I thought that god would give any christian that same gift of preaching if she asked for it and was otherwise in good graces with god. When I heard these "evangelists" salesmen selling AMWAY distributorships just like preaching the gospel, one more piece of the Xtian puzzle fell into place.    bill

I agree completely. There is a gullibility among Christians that make them easier prey for these scams. It's heartbreaking really. 

I have a friend who is a Christian, and she's a total sweetheart, but she's trying hard to sell Avon products, even though they haven't treated her great. When she orders something and doesn't get the promised money to the person she delivers the products to (and she trusts them when they say, "Oh, great. I'll bring you the money next Sunday at church." and then they don't) she ends up having to pay for those products out of her own pocket. I've tried to get her to stop, but she's just one of those super trusting people who doesn't know a scam when it's biting her in the butt.

I also have an uncle who jumps on every Hallelujah diet or whatever and pimps their products. Last I knew, he was on this raw food and juicing kick and trying to sell this barley green concoction. I feel this pang of weirdness every time he talks about it, because he can go on for HOURS about it. And changing the subject doesn't work, he just keeps coming back to it like it's the second coming of Jesus. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

There is a special kind of gullibility that scam artists know Christians have. I've seen programs of scam artists who specifically target churches for that reason. It's just awful. 

• Like 3

I was tricked into going to an AMWAY meeting one time. What amazed me was that it was in every respect like a fundamentalist church revival. The exact same sales tactics were used. It was uncanny. Until I began to gain more understanding about how things work in the real world I thought that the evangelists' had a spiritual gift which enabled them to touch my emotions for christ. Indeed, I thought that god would give any christian that same gift of preaching if she asked for it and was otherwise in good graces with god. When I heard these "evangelists" salesmen selling AMWAY distributorships just like preaching the gospel, one more piece of the Xtian puzzle fell into place.    bill

I friend (non Christian) back in the 90s invited me to her home and she was just a newbie in AMWAY. I wanted to puke at the meeting. I would never feel comfortable pushing anything to friends or family.

I tried the Amway thing years ago. I never had any meetings. I just sold some cleaning products and a filling cabinet.

Looking back I feel like a douche for doing that.

There's this guy in his 60's that lives a cube away from me at work. He's into one of those multi-level schemes that sells "youth generating oils" and of course always blabbering about his bible. It's bad enough that he's got that old guy cedar and mothball smell but then he slathers on that obnoxious shit he's selling and you can hardly stand to go to work.

• Super Moderator

I was tricked into an Amway meeting by my own fundie father. No, he never made a dime from Amway, and lost a lot of dimes to his other cult.

Assholes.

Some of my family got into the whole Amway craze when I was about 12 or so. My parents would play their tapes around the house. They were like praise and worship albums put out by some po-dunk church. There seems to be a lot of overlap between Amway and Christian fundamentalism. 

Also, their products were terrible. We always had their snack foods and soup around. I'm just glad my parents gave it up. 

Started a new part time job at a really cool place. One older guy (late 60s), nice enough and very helpful mentioned his weekly bible study. I did respond towards that and we kept discussing work and some local medical doctors vs chiropractors.  A little later he comes back to my area to show me this supplement he sells and would like to know if I would like to get on the bandwagon and start selling it.  What is it with christians and multi level marketing, I have seen this before big time.

If you are already weakened by one form of propoganda it is far easier to fall into others like multi level marketing schemes that only work for those willing to prey on anyone they know or see.

Tell this "nice" guy to eat shit. He is lying to you and playing a game with you. Tell him you are not buying anything and then go ask your new coworkers softly what they think of this guy.

Multi levels are perfect for preachers.  They fleece the flock every Sunday, this opens up ever other day too. Actually, kind of smart in a devious way...LOL.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

see, L Ron Hubbard for what to do if you want to get rich...start your own religion base it on profit and money...sucker rich people.

That was exactly why I eventually left Amway.   I realised it was like a religion with only a few pastors making all the money.