Goodbye Jesus

Millennials Leaving Church Because Narcissism Lol Ok

greylight

Warning: Rant in progress

I am SOOOO fucking sick of hearing this, not just from xians but from the culture in general. We are one narssistic horrible generation us millienals are!! I just listened to two minutes of idiotic people on some talk show speculate why young people are leaving the church and I want to punch through my computer screen. I heard oh, millenials are narssistic, they want to live sex drugs and rock and roll, it's that young person phase. Then some lady who used to be a hippy called in talking about how she used to have long hair, and how there is so much peer pressure for those poor lost millenials!! I wanted to call in and be like, oh you know there is such a thing as the internet now. We can read things and be like, OH maybe this belief isn't as true as what I've been told my whole life They obviously do not care about the actual answer. They just don't accept that the church i becoming irrevelent! It's not our fault we don't give a fuck about your outdated views and actually want to live our life! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! GRAGHHHHHlksdjflsd. Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 4

Every generation says the next generation is going to the dogs. We're fat, lazy, no sense of responsibility, and we smell funny. However, back in their days things were sunshine and roses and they were tough enough to walk 15 miles to school in the snow and uphill both ways, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.rolleyes.gif. When I hear a boomer talk about our generation, I just wish I could pull a picture of their hippy days to shut them up.

They don't take into consideration that maybe we do listen, but observe that their way is not the best way to go. Time is on our side, we can take comfort in that. 

• Like 2

I am 52, not a boomer, but not a gen x-er. Of course on the one hand I see millenials as narcisstic, but that is all people in their teens and 20s . Gen y''ers, gen x'ers, boomers etc.  People fail to realize that. Also, the millenials have a hard time finding full time work in many places in the country plus student loans debts out the roof  Cannot blame them for being upset.

Also, I just read something this AM.  The millenials want to spend their money on experiences (travel, good food, good drinks) and I can respect that much more thans someone in my age group buying an expensive car as a status symbol.

Yeah, I've heard that crap, too.  Apparently young people are not staying in the church because they just want sex and drugs. Uhhh, news flash, most of the young people that are okay with church ARE doing sex and drugs outside of church and that's probably why those people don't leave it. 

Also, I do play a lot of board games and go to wine tastings with friends. It's expensive to do much of anything.

• Like 1

Every generation says the next generation is going to the dogs. We're fat, lazy, no sense of responsibility, and we smell funny. However, back in their days things were sunshine and roses and they were tough enough to walk 15 miles to school in the snow and uphill both ways, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.rolleyes.gif. When I hear a boomer talk about our generation, I just wish I could pull a picture of their hippy days to shut them up.

They don't take into consideration that maybe we do listen, but observe that their way is not the best way to go. Time is on our side, we can take comfort in that. 

Rent a copy of Twelve Angry Men.  Get the original one from 1957 staring Henry Fonda.  Not only is it a good movie but the first act has these middle aged men sitting around complaining about the people who were born in the 1940's.  It was very interesting hearing the same timeless complaints made about that generation.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/

"This kid on trial here... his type, well, don't you know about them? There's a, there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild."

and

"It's these kids - the way they are nowadays. When I was a kid I used to call my father, "Sir". That's right. "Sir". You ever hear a kid call his father that anymore?"

Yeah, I've heard that crap, too.  Apparently young people are not staying in the church because they just want sex and drugs. Uhhh, news flash, most of the young people that are okay with church ARE doing sex and drugs outside of church and that's probably why those people don't leave it. 

Also, I do play a lot of board games and go to wine tastings with friends. It's expensive to do much of anything.

What is the board games of the 1930's young people played is now the computer/video games of today.  

Yeah, lot of solitaire and words with friends online going on.  In honesty, I've been to friends' house and we've drank wine and played Sorry.  Cards Against Humanity is a popular game, too, but it's super offensive. Also, Taboo seems to be popular.   And, of course, Shots Halo; take a shot every time you die in Halo. Those seem to be most popular.  Unless you crash a party on the campus in which case beer pong is most popular. 

• Super Moderator

Every young generation finds it incumbent on them to rebel and try to piss off their parents' generation. Every young generation thinks their parents' generation fucked everything up. Every older generation thinks the young generation is out of control and bound to fuck things up.

All of them are correct.

"Time is on our side, we can take comfort in that."

Alas, time is on no one's side. Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. bill

• Like 3

Guest Babylonian Dream

Every generation since forever has said the next was going downhill. It made it into several cultures religious texts as the ages of man its so old. Yet, the world hasn't ended from our continual destruction of the culture. Cultures, languages, and generations evolve. And they don't stop evolving because they can't.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hate those uninformed articles and shows--I mean, they have no business making guesses when they could research the topic and actually interview or survey non-believers. 

I think it's the easy access to information via the internet. I know it played a part in my de-conversion when I was in my 20s. It definitely convinced me evolution happened. It's hard to raise your kids in a safe little bubble these days. And that's a very good thing.

• Like 2

I am SOOOO fucking sick of hearing this, not just from xians but from the culture in general. We are one narssistic horrible generation us millienals are!! I just listened to two minutes of idiotic people on some talk show speculate why young people are leaving the church and I want to punch through my computer screen. I heard oh, millenials are narssistic, they want to live sex drugs and rock and roll, it's that young person phase. Then some lady who used to be a hippy called in talking about how she used to have long hair, and how there is so much peer pressure for those poor lost millenials!! I wanted to call in and be like, oh you know there is such a thing as the internet now. We can read things and be like, OH maybe this belief isn't as true as what I've been told my whole life They obviously do not care about the actual answer. They just don't accept that the church i becoming irrevelent! It's not our fault we don't give a fuck about your outdated views and actually want to live our life! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! GRAGHHHHHlksdjflsd. Wendybanghead.gif

There ya go talking about yourself again. hahah. j/k Millenials aren't any more narcissistic than any other generation. There has always been sex and drugs and at least since the 50s, rock and roll!

You forgot about "entitlement." I hear that one also as related to millenials. When I was a teenager back in the dark ages my parents just called it the fallacy that "the world owes you a living" and that's what ALL teens thought back then according to the older generation. :-)

So every generation says pretty much the same stuff. After you work twenty years you'll be bitching about the generation after you wanting everything for nothing and being self absorbed..haha. It is a fallacious generalization.

Speaking of narcissistic, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” Exodus 20:3

Remember putting on the armor of god in Ephesians 6? I hope all future generations put on the armor of common sense, disbelief, critical thinking, reason, and logic. This light of reality will destroy the darkness of Christianity.

So the Christians think the world is going to shit just like the bible says it will. You think they'd be happy about this.

Boomers are so physically fit themselves..not. :-)

I am 52, not a boomer, but not a gen x-er. Of course on the one hand I see millenials as narcisstic, but that is all people in their teens and 20s . Gen y''ers, gen x'ers, boomers etc.  People fail to realize that. Also, the millenials have a hard time finding full time work in many places in the country plus student loans debts out the roof  Cannot blame them for being upset.

Also, I just read something this AM.  The millenials want to spend their money on experiences (travel, good food, good drinks) and I can respect that much more thans someone in my age group buying an expensive car as a status symbol.

The younger bunch see all the status symbols like boats and rvs growing cobwebs in the garage because their owners don't have time to use them because they are working overtime to make the payments on them. :-) I know several young people who are world travelers. Maybe it's a generational trend.

Parlor games and board games are wonderful! Just not that evil satanic dungeons and dragons...lol

• Like 1

I have heard the same things about us millennials in my dad's sermons. But we as millennials have more access to things that other generations were not able to access. Society has changed and ideas towards women and proper social behavior have changed. And, they will continue to change. The next generations will be complained about by millennials because they will have access to things that we don't even have yet. And so on and so on. 

I certainly do not feel like I am part of a horrible generation. My dad gets upset about the way millennials act and talk, but to me, I hardly notice because that is the norm I have grown up with. 

Our generation is open-minded and diverse. We like to see change and see culture progress. We are accepting of other individuals that are different than us. We are questioning religion, politics, and social stigmas. I think our generation is moving forward and other generations are staying behind.

The younger bunch see all the status symbols like boats and rvs growing cobwebs in the garage because their owners don't have time to use them because they are working overtime to make the payments on them. :-) I know several young people who are world travelers. Maybe it's a generational trend.

The under 30 crowd is huge on travel and trying new foods etc. Good for them, I wish more people were like that

Okay, I'm right at the younger end of the boomer generation and got a bit of a jolt at the complaints at *my* generation. Why? Well, er, um...

I grew up with the distinct impression that we were definitely the worst generation of young people ever to walk the face of the earth. Nobody called us boomers--we were just a bad crop of youngsters. I personally did my best to be good but I heard about boys who smoked and drank and did really BAD stuff. This was in the dark of night on Sundays when all the young people got together.

The condemnation was so bad it really got to me. One day, I found a quote from the 1500s that basically said the exact same things the adults around me were saying about our evil generation.

Fast-forward ten years. I'm sitting at a table with young parents who are five years younger than me. Topic of discussion: The extra-ordinarily bad young people of the day. What are they doing? Smoking in plain sight rather than out behind the barn.

I'm flabbergasted on more than one level.

• As I remembered things, the men who were talking were bad boys. How the decent girls they married ever trusted them was something that baffled me and I could only hope they raised their children right.
  • "Smoking is smoking. If smoking is bad, then it matters little where you do it."

I concluded the same thing everyone here is saying, that each generation thinks the current crop of young people is the worst ever to walk the earth. That they themselves are responsible for this batch of kids seems never to cross their minds. Or maybe it does and this is their cry of helplessness in shaping the kids in their own image.

Let me reword that. They don't like seeing their own image replayed by their kids. The kids are no longer eight years old and malleable. All the parents, grandparents, preachers, teachers, etc. can do is condemn the kids for being kids.

Confession: I never had kids but I've so very often heard the admonishment: Don't make the mistakes I made...

That in itself is an admission of an imperfect earlier generation. In fact, it was so bad that they fear seeing a similar coming up.

For the most part, people want to survive and succeed. This world presents some very stringent parameters for the achievement of those goals. "Going to the dogs" is not one of them and very few people let their behaviour deteriorate to that extreme. Those who do normally, sooner or later, find themselves in a hospital, or in jail, or dead.

Society and its young people is NOT morally corrupt and going to the dogs.

• Like 2

There ya go talking about yourself again. hahah. j/k Millenials aren't any more narcissistic than any other generation. There has always been sex and drugs and at least since the 50s, rock and roll!

You forgot about "entitlement." I hear that one also as related to millenials. When I was a teenager back in the dark ages my parents just called it the fallacy that "the world owes you a living" and that's what ALL teens thought back then according to the older generation. :-)

So every generation says pretty much the same stuff. After you work twenty years you'll be bitching about the generation after you wanting everything for nothing and being self absorbed..haha. It is a fallacious generalization.

Speaking of narcissistic, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” Exodus 20:3

Remember putting on the armor of god in Ephesians 6? I hope all future generations put on the armor of common sense, disbelief, critical thinking, reason, and logic. This light of reality will destroy the darkness of Christianity.

So the Christians think the world is going to shit just like the bible says it will. You think they'd be happy about this.

Okay, I DO think people are entitled to a job. Because this isn't the wild west. You can't just go into the woods, build a cabin, plant vegetables, and live off that. So yeah, I do think people in this modern economy are entitled to participate in it. If you could just fish and hunt and farm and build a cabin, then no. But you can't do that today. There are taxes, and you have to buy the land, etc. None of us asked to be born into this world and this political system, but here we are. 

So yeah. We all deserve a path to some sort of living. I say this as a college grad with a great job who has a husband with a college degree and a good job. That was lucky for us. Sure, we're smart and all, but we had decent parents. Anyone who wants to work, willing and able, should be able to work and make a living. Because this country is super crazy wealthy and it's just wrong if people who want to work and are able-bodied can't because of a lousy job market they graduated into through no fault of their own.

I graduated during a recession, but it worked out for me. (I'm white, smart, attractive---none of those things are within my control. I was born with them.) Why are we condemning our recent college grads to a terrible situation of high college debt and few job prospects? It's just wrong. We could hire them all if we wanted. The govt. could spend money to build and repair bridges and roads, increase spending on education, etc. But there isn't enough political will to do so. I wish we had a WPA program today. They had the right idea. We're screwing our young people, but no one seems to care enough to fix it. I'm kinda befuddled. 

• Like 3

Call me stupid. But what is a millennial?

I'm at work now. So I'm kinda speed reading.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Call me stupid. But what is a millennial?

I'm at work now. So I'm kinda speed reading.

Anyone born at a time when they'd reach adulthood in the 90's to the turn of 2000's CE.

I thought they were leaving the church because it is full of assholes.

I find the generation under me lazy and entitled, and incapable of living life with out some kind of a screen in their face. Their kids are even worse. More self centred than other centred.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I find the generation under me lazy and entitled, and incapable of living life with out some kind of a screen in their face. Their kids are even worse. More self centred than other centred.

The generations you are judging find you to be, well....

• Like 1

Because we are a multi generational society we should really see if we can start working together rather than perpetuating hundreds of years of stupidity :)

I am not a boomer or a millenial. I see issue with both generations and even worse issues with my own. I cannot stand people my own age. They are greedy and self centered. They are just as narccisistic as any generation I have encountered personally. This is just to say that we are all kind of the same bitching about some perceived difference that is  not really there in the first place.

I know good honest and hard working peoples (at least those that are old enough to be or not to old to) in all generations I have contact with which is pretty much all of them due to my work. I teach both children and old people about computers on the side as well so that really shows me at least some small slice of how generational learning is different on a specific topic. It truly is interesting to see that it is individuals in the end who are learning and not a cross section of their generation.

Putting aside some false perception even if it seems that it is correct would go along way I would hope at least in really getting the word out that religion is a lie and god myths are fucking us all. See people for who they are not some group you perceive them as belonging to.

My wife and I went on a tour of India this past December and January.  We're 53 and 50.  Of the 14 other tour members, one was 31, another 36, and the rest were between 19 and 25.  At first we were bummed about being the only ones in our age group...we got over that quickly!  These people were some of the most interesting, intelligent, well-traveled people we've ever met.  They appreciate diversity, different cultures, and interested in people who are different from them.  On the other hand, the people I work with (40's and 50's) seem scared to death of everything outside their small culture/country/religion, etc.  Most of them couldn't understand why I'd want to go to India (or even Europe, for that matter).  So I'm pretty encouraged by the 20-somethings I've met recently.

• Like 2

The generations you are judging find you to be, well....

Actually my partner is 26, and he rather appreciates my lawn :)