Goodbye Jesus

Millennials Leaving Church Because Narcissism Lol Ok

greylight

I thought they were leaving the church because it is full of assholes.

I find the generation under me lazy and entitled, and incapable of living life with out some kind of a screen in their face. Their kids are even worse. More self centred than other centred.

Judging millions of people in a single stroke never gets old, huh?

• Like 3

Warning: Rant in progress

I am SOOOO fucking sick of hearing this, not just from xians but from the culture in general. We are one narssistic horrible generation us millienals are!! I just listened to two minutes of idiotic people on some talk show speculate why young people are leaving the church and I want to punch through my computer screen. I heard oh, millenials are narssistic, they want to live sex drugs and rock and roll, it's that young person phase. Then some lady who used to be a hippy called in talking about how she used to have long hair, and how there is so much peer pressure for those poor lost millenials!! I wanted to call in and be like, oh you know there is such a thing as the internet now. We can read things and be like, OH maybe this belief isn't as true as what I've been told my whole life They obviously do not care about the actual answer. They just don't accept that the church i becoming irrevelent! It's not our fault we don't give a fuck about your outdated views and actually want to live our life! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! GRAGHHHHHlksdjflsd. Wendybanghead.gif

Hell fucking yes!!!!!!

Call me stupid. But what is a millennial?

I'm at work now. So I'm kinda speed reading.

Anyone born at a time when they'd reach adulthood in the 90's to the turn of 2000's CE.
Oh! So that makes ME a millennial, my parents are boomers and according to galien, my boys* are pieces of shit. Okay. Thanks.

*just for the record, my boys are intelligent and well-balanced young men. They don't fall under the stroke of an extremely broad bristled

brush*

Guest Babylonian Dream

I find the generation under me lazy and entitled, and incapable of living life with out some kind of a screen in their face. Their kids are even worse. More self centred than other centred.

The generations you are judging find you to be, well....

Actually my partner is 26, and he rather appreciates my lawn smile.png

You missed the point. It was to say that you've become so bitter about us, that I had to jokingly call you a grumpy old person. Rank answers it better than I could:

Judging millions of people in a single stroke never gets old, huh?

Thank you Rank!

I'm not a narcissist. My mother is though, and she's Galien's age. XD

I know you're not a narcissist Galien, at least I don't think ;)

"Time is on our side, we can take comfort in that."

Alas, time is on no one's side. Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. bill

I'm inclined to agree.  with both.  

Time is on our side, as progress generally occurs when the older generation dies out. 

And yes it is later then you think.  I just went to the dentist for the first time in 20 years.   Guess wheat Periodontal disease. However, they were impressed there were no cavities.  That just helps to cap off the fact that I am nearing 40.  So yes.  It is later than you think.

I did that once and I was only like 35. LoL. My wife told me to stop being a moron. :-)

Your lawn? Or your bush? :-)

And that one is also sexual.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I completely missed that sexual joke. Gosh... I thought I had a sinful mind. You guys are corrupting my innocent mind.... XD

Well if I had a bush I'm sure here would enjoy that too. People exist on a bell curve no matter their age. Some are total assholes the vast majority are average and a few are saints. My observation has been that the culture us a lot more self centred than in my grandparents era. In my family we don't really have strong generational boundaries. Everyone is equal. I do see more self centredness though in at least one if my kids who is one of the most selfish and lazy pieces of work I gave ever had the misfortune to encounter.

For me being self centred us like being a member of the SS in NAzi Germany. Assholes come from all generations, they are not specific to millennialist. Perhaps if we had not brought them up in so much family disharmony they would not have had so many reasons to escape into their computers. They have learned to value style over substance, and it is probably our fault for being so emotionally bankrupt.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Well if I had a bush I'm sure here would enjoy that too. People exist on a bell curve no matter their age. Some are total assholes the vast majority are average and a few are saints. My observation has been that the culture us a lot more self centred than in my grandparents era. In my family we don't really have strong generational boundaries. Everyone is equal. I do see more self centredness though in at least one if my kids who is one of the most selfish and lazy pieces of work I gave ever had the misfortune to encounter.

For me being self centred us like being a member of the SS in NAzi Germany. Assholes come from all generations, they are not specific to millennialist. Perhaps if we had not brought them up in so much family disharmony they would not have had so many reasons to escape into their computers. They have learned to value style over substance, and it is probably our fault for being so emotionally bankrupt.

I'll admit though, I'm more oldfashioned about alot of things. I grew up in backwaters rural america. Things haven't changed there culturally much since... well... the german immigrants in the victorian era...

Generation X is anyone born into the early 60s-80s.   Millennials are the 20 years after that.

Each generation has its characteristics, for sure... and the complaining by the older generations is just par for the course.   It doesn't upset me.

I'll admit though, I'm more oldfashioned about alot of things. I grew up in backwaters rural america. Things haven't changed there culturally much since... well... the german immigrants in the victorian era...

Yeah some people are oldfashioned and so am I when it comes to some things. Does depend a lot on the culture surrounding you.

Im pretty pleased when any generation questions religion :)

I am one of the oldest GenXers on here.  I was born the first year of Gen X.  That was in 1965.  I was always perplexed as to why the babyboomers were always going along with the group.  I was very much a guy into my own interests.  I was never into emotional RAH RAH.  I was one who was just give me the facts I ask for and leave it at that.  Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the babyboomers, but rather just noting an observation. 

I'm a Gen-Xer too, and quite happily so. We were always perceived as questioning authority and the system (so annoying to the boomers), but I think we had good reason. Out of college, so many corporations were already full of boomers in nice positions, and no room for us. We also realized that times were changing -- no longer would we get a great corporate job, climb the ladder, and retire from the same place with a comfy pension. We were sort of on our own. As a woman, we also noticed that women boomers worked really hard to have it all -- career, marriage, kids -- but they were quickly overextending and missing out on a certain quality of life. Women were free yes, but it was still new enough that all the kinks had not been worked out as to how to make all that work in reality for working mothers. No thanks! And being stuck in the corporate rat race for long hours? No thanks.

That's why, in my opinion, so many Gen-Xers I know are entrepreneurs. My husband and I are both self-employed, and we both work at home. We have a comfortable income, plenty of free time, plenty of work time, and plenty of face time with each other. We don't worry about that nonsense of carving out "quality time" for our young daughter. She has an amazing life because of it. No daycare, just the occasional nanny to fill in some work gaps (trips to the movies, skating, the zoo), and a few other activities (sewing classes, art camp, etc.). And my child has travelled more in her 7 years than I did my whole life before the age of 25. Man, I wish I were my kid! Yes, being self-employed can be crazy stressful (intermittent money flow, our own health insurance, our own retirement funds, working odd hours and weekends, taking my laptop on vacation just in case of client emergencies, client issues in general), but we feel we have a perfect balance of life and work, filled with love and freedom and joy.

Don't worry about the future generation. They too will find their place.

I effing hate the rules and I'm not fond of the group, yet being born in 1960 places me as a bit of a tail end boomer.

I am one of the oldest GenXers on here.  I was born the first year of Gen X.  That was in 1965.  I was always perplexed as to why the babyboomers were always going along with the group.  I was very much a guy into my own interests.  I was never into emotional RAH RAH.  I was one who was just give me the facts I ask for and leave it at that.  Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the babyboomers, but rather just noting an observation. 

I'm a Gen-Xer too, and quite happily so. We were always perceived as questioning authority and the system (so annoying to the boomers), but I think we had good reason. Out of college, so many corporations were already full of boomers in nice positions, and no room for us. We also realized that times were changing -- no longer would we get a great corporate job, climb the ladder, and retire from the same place with a comfy pension. We were sort of on our own. As a woman, we also noticed that women boomers worked really hard to have it all -- career, marriage, kids -- but they were quickly overextending and missing out on a certain quality of life. Women were free yes, but it was still new enough that all the kinks had not been worked out as to how to make all that work in reality for working mothers. No thanks! And being stuck in the corporate rat race for long hours? No thanks.

That's why, in my opinion, so many Gen-Xers I know are entrepreneurs. My husband and I are both self-employed, and we both work at home. We have a comfortable income, plenty of free time, plenty of work time, and plenty of face time with each other. We don't worry about that nonsense of carving out "quality time" for our young daughter. She has an amazing life because of it. No daycare, just the occasional nanny to fill in some work gaps (trips to the movies, skating, the zoo), and a few other activities (sewing classes, art camp, etc.). And my child has travelled more in her 7 years than I did my whole life before the age of 25. Man, I wish I were my kid! Yes, being self-employed can be crazy stressful (intermittent money flow, our own health insurance, our own retirement funds, working odd hours and weekends, taking my laptop on vacation just in case of client emergencies, client issues in general), but we feel we have a perfect balance of life and work, filled with love and freedom and joy.

Don't worry about the future generation. They too will find their place.

I refuse to subscribe to their ideals.  I refuse to live by ideals. 

That's why you can never understand Obama's deep truths, BO!  wink.png

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I observe all kinds of people in all age groups. Boomers are comprised of preachers, atheists, Hell's Angels, Steve Jobs, homeless veterans, hippies, hunters, vegetarians, Democrats, Republicans/Tea Partiers, and a lot of Libertarians. Boomers developed the space program, Internet, organ transplant technology, and cell phones. How much would you demand of one generation?

Guest Babylonian Dream

I observe all kinds of people in all age groups. Boomers are comprised of preachers, atheists, Hell's Angels, Steve Jobs, homeless veterans, hippies, hunters, vegetarians, Democrats, Republicans/Tea Partiers, and a lot of Libertarians. Boomers developed the space program, Internet, organ transplant technology, and cell phones. How much would you demand of one generation?

They also had longer to accomplish all that ;)

I expect nothing less, I greatly appreciate the feats your generation has accomplished. Just like I appreciate your fathers and grandfathers taking down Adolf Hitler and ending the time when the US was a third world nation paying people pocketchange for their hard labor, including children.

• Super Moderator

Every generation has individuals who make great contributions for their time, and others who make great mistakes that can even affect subsequent generations. I'm not a fan of labels and broad brushes.

I would demand they attempt to live at least to their initial potential and the rest of the time attempt to exceed it just as I ask of myself. No less no more.

Do better than the previous one or in the end we will all go down as a race.

Why hold anybody to any ideals?  I don't hold to any myself.  I just want to be left the fuck alone. 

It seems like a great sentiment until you realize that none of us are self sufficient to 100% degree. I am sure you could attempt to move to the wilderness and live off the land but those people didn't have 80-110 year life spans like we do now either.

Trade offs suck.

I have ideals or rather an idea that I want to be treated how I treat others. To bad I seem to be the only person who will actually live like that every time. It is just an idea though and one that seems to make very little sense to most others at this point in history. Maybe never in history who can say.

I effing hate the rules and I'm not fond of the group, yet being born in 1960 places me as a bit of a tail end boomer.

I don't much like authority, nor groups. Born in 1962. Not sure people can really easily fit into categories like culture would like us to.

They also had longer to accomplish all that wink.png

I expect nothing less, I greatly appreciate the feats your generation has accomplished. Just like I appreciate your fathers and grandfathers taking down Adolf Hitler and ending the time when the US was a third world nation paying people pocketchange for their hard labor, including children.

I enjoyed bringing up the concept of productivity with co-workers. I suppose most of them were Gen X ers  and Millenials but we also had a few Boomers. Both of those groups seemed to still be obsessed with productivity as the major metric of a person's character. I would ask someone why it was important to work 60-75 hours a week to buy lots of toys or whatever. They just glared at me. I'm sure I was viewed as a major slacker just because of my attitude. :-)

I see a couple other people calling me out on my post, fair enough. I know that all generations have there good points and bad points. It is just grating on the nerves to hear people making broad assumptions about "young" people these. One of the things about history repeating itself is that the young people just don't have the experience of their elders.  There is a difference between knowing something and comprehending it, and there are some things that can't be comprehended until we experience life.

It is unreasonable to expect any generation to be born and just know it all, and yet from an older perspective one can't help but be like, "Oh good freaking cthulu, these people are dumb-asses. Can't they see how foolish [insert whatever] is."  And while there may be some truth to that, but they don't and they can't. 

The younger generation are like, "These people are dumb-asses, can't they see what they are doing. When we are in charge we are going to make a world the better place."  And then the younger generation gets set in their ways and becomes the oldsters. They start becoming critical of the younger generation and the younger generation in term starts criticizing the older generation and the cycle repeats.

I'm aiming this statement at all generations: It is easy to judge from and outsider's perspective, but when one is inside the group there is some level of blindness to the faults of your own.  There is always some who will see this, and no generation is perfect. We don't have the experience and the lessons that are learned by our ancestors, so it is up to us as individuals to find our own way. This is why history repeats itself because knowledge and comprehension are two completely different things.

I'm a millennial born in the early 1990's. For the record, I think groups are overrated and I don't need the shiniest new piece of shit.

Out of curiosity what are the 201x'ers being called?

Why hold anybody to any ideals?  I don't hold to any myself.  I just want to be left the fuck alone. 

That's what I told people in my last job. Just let me do my fucking job and go home. Don't continually fuck with me every day. We know that's not going to happen though.