Goodbye Jesus

Millennials Leaving Church Because Narcissism Lol Ok

greylight

• Super Moderator

Out of curiosity what are the 201x'ers being called?

The last generation.

Why hold anybody to any ideals?  I don't hold to any myself.  I just want to be left the fuck alone. 

That's what I told people in my last job. Just let me do my fucking job and go home. Don't continually fuck with me every day. We know that's not going to happen though. 

That's why I got into business for myself. 

Yup. Same here.

So if I was born in 1980, does that make me a millenial or part of Generation X?

Back to the original topic... it really chaps my ass when churches try to explain why people leave the fold, because they always assume the worst about the folks who leave. They never stop to think they could be a big part of the problem. I mean, religious reasons aside, a lot of churches are full of shitty people. That's one of the reasons I initially quit going to church.

I went to a new church once and a coworker was there. A few months later I was going to school at a town about 30 miles away from the church. I don't drive because I'm legally blind, and this was the middle of Rat's Ass, East Texas. Anyway, I happen to bump into this girl in front of the library one day, and she puts her hands on her hips and says "Why haven't you been coming to church?" as if I were a naughty five-year-old child. I had worked retail with her for a couple of years, I'm not sure if she knew I was legally blind or not, but I'm pretty sure it was common knowledge around the store. Whatever the case, there was no "How are you?" no "Is everything okay?" and when I told her I didn't go because I don't drive she didn't bother to offer me one. And in my experience, church is full of people like that. 

But then, if i'd ever felt welcome at church it would have been a lot more difficult to give it up, if I did at all. So maybe I should thank all those assholes, because I'm much happier as an atheist. 

• Like 1

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

~ Socrates

It's all the same, it doesn't change... 
  • Like 4

They never stop to think they could be a big part of the problem. I mean, religious reasons aside, a lot of churches are full of shitty people.

You got that right.

Out of curiosity what are the 201x'ers being called?

The last generation.

LOL!  

I know it's Generation Z but that IS the last letter.  

Looks like after that it's Alpha. http://www.readersdigest.co.nz/the-next-generation    Damn, that article is insulting, though. My sister missed the cut off of being a creative hard worker by one year. She's flighty and transient, lol

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

~ Socrates

It's all the same, it doesn't change... 

Same ol' shit- different generation.

So if I was born in 1980, does that make me a millenial or part of Generation X?

I dunno.  I've read descriptions before saying that the Millennials started around 1978-1980 depending on who you ask.  But now that I google it, I see lots of articles defining the Millennials as beginning in the mid 80's.  So I'm on the young end of Gen X, and you could probably claim whichever generation you prefer.

I made it to adulthood before the internet became ubiquitous- I was 20 years old when I first logged on.  So I think that'll be the real cultural divide:  Those of us who grew up without internet vs. those of us who grew up with it.

Personally I rather like the Millennials as a generation.  I guess I could complain about them if I wanted- but most any complaints I could make would be typical of any young person- not just millennials.  But the good things I'll say about them is that they're a pretty socially liberal and open-minded bunch compared to my generation.  They're frighteningly good with computers- I mean, I do pretty well for somebody my age (mid 30's)... but I just can't compete with these 20-somethings when it comes to mouse-clicking and button-pushing.  They're twice as fast as I am, and don't even have to think about it.  I don't really know how they'll play out long-term, but IMO they can't do a whole lot worse than we Gen-X'ers did.  

Why hold anybody to any ideals?  I don't hold to any myself.  I just want to be left the fuck alone. 

It seems like a great sentiment until you realize that none of us are self sufficient to 100% degree. I am sure you could attempt to move to the wilderness and live off the land but those people didn't have 80-110 year life spans like we do now either.

Trade offs suck.

I have ideals or rather an idea that I want to be treated how I treat others. To bad I seem to be the only person who will actually live like that every time. It is just an idea though and one that seems to make very little sense to most others at this point in history. Maybe never in history who can say.

I don't expect anything out of people.  I don't want them to expect anything of me.  I have made observations of people and that is what I see. I just don't want anyone, not even government to force me to give that which I am not willing to give and that they did not earn.  

The fact is, nobody either here or elsewhere or in person has really ever given me a good reason why I should give a shit.  

Crotchety old hermit. I'd be staying the fuck off your lawn.

It seems like a great sentiment until you realize that none of us are self sufficient to 100% degree. I am sure you could attempt to move to the wilderness and live off the land but those people didn't have 80-110 year life spans like we do now either.

Trade offs suck.

I have ideals or rather an idea that I want to be treated how I treat others. To bad I seem to be the only person who will actually live like that every time. It is just an idea though and one that seems to make very little sense to most others at this point in history. Maybe never in history who can say.

I don't expect anything out of people.  I don't want them to expect anything of me.  I have made observations of people and that is what I see. I just don't want anyone, not even government to force me to give that which I am not willing to give and that they did not earn.  

The fact is, nobody either here or elsewhere or in person has really ever given me a good reason why I should give a shit.  

Trade offs suck.

Nobody likes living in the world around people who don't give a shit.

Trade offs suck.

Nobody likes living in the world around people who don't give a shit.

I give a shit I just don't give a shit what most people think. That does not mean that I do not give a shit what happens to them. I care abou their freedom not to care about me. I care about their right to speak their mind so that I can speak mine without the fear of recompense. I do not care what gods they believe in or creeds that force me to their way of thinking rather than invite me to it.

And yes people who give a shit about no one and nothing else probably in the end don't give a shit about themselves either regardless of what they say.

• Like 1

Burnout: You would be an ideal poster boy for atheists from the view point of the Xtians.

Trade offs suck.

GOOD!.....smile.png

After taking a dump on it first

• Like 1

Burnout: You would be an ideal poster boy for atheists from the view point of the Xtians.

I'm not trying to impress anyone.  I live for ME.

Yeah we know you are a narcissistic right wing emotional retard. No one cares outside being disgusted.

I like Burnedout's attitude better than the pushy types. He does his thing and I do mine, works for me

• Like 2

I like Burnedout's attitude better than the pushy types. He does his thing and I do mine, works for me

I guess after years of listening to narcissistic right wing emotional retards in the church, they just don't bring out the best in me. If I could rid the world of them without actually killing them, I would be a happy woman.

Them: You guys are the shittiest generation to date.

Us: You raised us.

• Like 3

The fact is, nobody either here or elsewhere or in person has really ever given me a good reason why I should give a shit........

sad.png

• Super Moderator

I agree with you...and with gall who said "I give a shit I just don't give a shit what most people think."   As long as someone doesn't get in my face pushing their agenda on me and/or society in general, I'm fine with them.  

Besides, I bet Burnedout (as well as most people here at Ex-C) is a nice guy in real life.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif  

• Like 2

I guess after years of listening to narcissistic right wing emotional retards in the church, they just don't bring out the best in me. If I could rid the world of them without actually killing them, I would be a happy woman.

As far as I'm concerned both the folks on the left and the right make some really good points. I am going to ignore the corruption of both sides. 

Yes people should take personal responsibility for their actions and government should not spending recklessly. But on the other hand the left makes a good point, sometimes there is a need for the community give a helping for those who find themselves in unfortunate situation that are not their fault. Having people starve on the streets is inhumane.

People have a habit of abusing their underlings or anyone they see as inferior, and this is when the government needs to intervene.  Sometimes it is necessary for governments to step in to level the playing the field so everyone can have a chance to succeed.  On the other hand, the right has a good point in that sometimes it is the government that is causing the problem. Governments can only see from a macro point of view, they can't always see what is going on at the local, micro level.  People do have free will to walk away or re-nogatiate their contract; there is power to the individual.

The conservatives believe the law is the and the constitution must be respected as it is the foundation of this country. The liberals believe the constitution is a living, breathing document that needs to be changed to fit the time. Both viewpoints are not inherently right or wrong.

There is a reason for the saying that "One man's heaven is another man's hell." There is no one grand philosophy that will answer all of life's problems. All we can do is make the best of what we have and try to make sense of the madness around us.  

I don't think the problem is entirely with either philosophies but with authoritarianism. The idea that a way of life or philosophy must be enforced on the people with no room for disagreement. I think the world would be a better place if more people lived and let live, but this is never going to be the case sad.png

Guest ThereIsNoGod

I complain about the younger generation, except all my complaints are VALID unlike those made about my generation WendyDoh.gif

Seriously....the only fair thing to do is say admit that generations of children have moved forward even if they have also moved backward in some ways.

As for church. Well churches have been evolving too to try and keep the membership of the future generations. The sad thing is, most churches look ridiculous in their attempts to be modern.

I complain about the younger generation, except all my complaints are VALID unlike those made about my generation WendyDoh.gif

Seriously....the only fair thing to do is say admit that generations of children have moved forward even if they have also moved backward in some ways.

As for church. Well churches have been evolving too to try and keep the membership of the future generations. The sad thing is, most churches look ridiculous in their attempts to be modern.

Ugh, I hate it when adults try to be hip with the kids and why I don't bother. The results usually look like "Don't Copy That Floppy," it may have all the elements of hip it is lacking the essence and sincerity.

Although, some of the attempts can be funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoeG5n26UE

• Like 1

Ugh, I hate it when adults try to be hip with the kids and why I don't bother. The results usually look like "Don't Copy That Floppy," it may have all the elements of hip it is lacking the essence and sincerity.

Although, some of the attempts can be funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGoeG5n26UE

Love world's dumbest.