Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Loves The Little Children Of The World

Margee

Once again the lord jesus shows us how much he loves the little children of the world. Not.

In the province next door, two little brothers, 5 and 7 years old, who slept in the same bed  (like my sister and I did) for a 'sleepover', were strangled to death by a 15 foot huge python snake that got loose from the exotic pet store below the upstairs apartment.  It wasn't the best place to have a sleepover (I wouldn't let my grandchildren who are around the same age!!) but wouldln't you think that jesus of the bible would protect those two little brothers?

Once again we sing the song that innocent children sing all through their childhoods' that means nothing -  'diddly squat' ....''Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so''.

I wonder if these two innocent children knelt beside their little beds and said the lords prayer before they fell asleep and were taken to heaven by a huge snake wrapped around their little necks as they suffocated to death?? What were their dear little last thoughts? What will the church say about this one??? How will they justify this one? That it was just a bad place to have a sleepover?

This stuff makes me sooooo sick to my stomach......   Here, I am, getting ready to have a nice day and I hear this on the radio.....Ridigwoopsie.gif

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/python-kills-two-young-new-brunswick-boys-in-their-sleep-1.1398733

I just had to rant this morning and get this off my chest......thanks guys....Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 5

Such a horrid thing to have happened.  Those poor little boys.  Here's the story:

New Brunswick RCMP have launched a criminal investigation into the deaths of two young boys killed by a python that reportedly slithered through ventilation shafts after it escaped from a reptile store, though police say it's too early to determine whether charges will be laid.

Police confirmed that the store owner also resides in the upstairs apartment in Campbellton, N.B. where the two boys, aged five and seven, were found dead Monday morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/08/05/nb-two-die-boa-attack.html

• Like 1

Such a horrid thing to have happened.  Those poor little boys.  Here's the story:

New Brunswick RCMP have launched a criminal investigation into the deaths of two young boys killed by a python that reportedly slithered through ventilation shafts after it escaped from a reptile store, though police say it's too early to determine whether charges will be laid.

Police confirmed that the store owner also resides in the upstairs apartment in Campbellton, N.B. where the two boys, aged five and seven, were found dead Monday morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/08/05/nb-two-die-boa-attack.html

I know this would make you as sick as me Overcame......Thanks for acknowledging this

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I was sick and horrified by the story too.  Those poor kids and their parents.   It sounds like the pet store belonged to the parent/s of the kids' friends.  The guilt they must be feeling also.   Tragic.   And yes, it's further evidence of  the non-existence of any kind of a god who gives a fuck.

I keep telling myself to stop watching the news, but even the tiniest blurb on the web snares me in.  I guess I shouldn't be a totally uninformed idiot, but sometimes that's exactly what I want to be.  Damn, the news sucks.      

• Like 1

Bad news sells.  And, unfortunately, it's easier to come by than good news.  This is so sad.

• Like 1

It reminds me of the Old Testament story when God sent two bears to kill dozens of children because they made fun of some prophet's baldness.  Yeah, God's infinite mercy and steadfast love!

Regarding pythons I personally hate the big snake business.  The Florida Everglades is being ruined because some people wanted to try having a big snake before realizing they didn't really want to have a big snake.  If people want to have a little, harmless snake that is fine.  But big snakes are generally bad.  It's a reptile.  It doesn't empathize with humans.  Warm blooded creatures are food to them.  So when it looks at you with those unblinking eyes remember the only thing it is thinking are it's own instincts.

• Like 3

I still can't get this out of my mind. Maybe it's because the little guy on the right looks exactly like my little grandson........Gawd, I find life disturbing sometimes..........

1297451128497_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

• Like 1

Urgh.... that's horrible. 

• Like 1

:(

• Like 1

There are so many things that go on all the time that are so horrible that any one of them ought to cause religious people to stop and think. But if one stops and thinks she wouldn't be religious to begin with. Oops! What does say about us in our former lives?

Honestly, i don't understand how we humans have managed to be as happy as we are in view of reality. Evolution, has somehow managed to at least partially protect us from being conscious of reality most of the time. This is certainly a mixed blessing because it causes some people.... no, a lot of people, to have no compassion. Those kind of people frustratre me beyond description.  bill

• Like 2

OK...so I've been thinking about this non-stop since I heard about it.

If we are really evolving as a conscious (smart) species wink.png  and we have the means to destroy the whole world by pushing a button, (as they say) why can't we start getting rid of these ancient reptiles? What purpose do they serve? Does anyone know? Why do we need the alligators, the snakes, the bugs that kill, etc... Can't we start to get them off the planet  and clean house a little? Why aren't we beginning to lower the earth's unsafe, non conscious animals and mammals who go through a lifetime just running on instinct? Do we just accept that this is the way it is? Evolution taking place? Just  call everything a 'terrible' accident when someone gets eaten alive by a lion or alligator or suffocate a slow death as a 15 foot snake is sucking the life out of you? First time in my life I'd like to own a gun. I'd shoot them. Isn't it time to get rid of the dinosaurs as well as the stupid ancient religions?

Doesn't evolving mean getting smarter?

Someone help me here......Please..

• Like 1

Evolving (of the natural selection type) doesn't have anything to do with any particular level of intelligence.

• Like 1

Evolving (of the natural selection type) doesn't have anything to do with any particular level of intelligence.

Freethawt, I wish you would go further with this comment for me? I really thought that every second, every minute, every month and year in human evolution ....we were supposed to be getting smarter??

Personally, as much as I hate to admit it - I think were getting dumber and dumber in many, many ways.....wouldn't even surprise me if we all eventually evolved back into the stupid, 'non conscious' animals that we once were again!! Wendyshrug.gif

Freethawt, I wish you would go further with this comment for me? I really thought that every second, every minute, every month and year in human evolution ....we were supposed to be getting smarter??

Nope.  In evolution there is no destination.  Some people survive.  Whatever gives them the advantage will be passed down with them.  It could be anything depending on the situation.  If a group of "dumb" people happen to be immune to a new kind of super virus that kills everyone else then future humans will take a hit in the "smart" department.  The reason we became smart in the first place was long ago humans faced extinction and a tiny "smart" tribe figured out how to beat whatever disaster faced them.  Everybody else dying is what started the rise of humans.

If you look at us as a species we are driven to tinker with things.  We can't foresee what the real results will be but as we keep tinkering with stuff through trial and error (and sometimes a few deaths) we eventually come up with a slightly better technology.  Can you see how our technology evolves along side us?  Nobody intends to invent a car that will kill 5,000 people.  But when our engineers do we look at that and say "hmmm . . . that was a bad idea" and then we come up with a new safety feature we couldn't imagine before.  As our devises kill off random people in accidents we keep the technology that works and tinker around with the ideas that were bad and we evolve our technology into something better.  Really that is natural selection as well but the difference is that humans provide the random input in place of the mutations found in biological evolution.  "Useful to humans" is what gives a technology an advantage in it's natural selection.

We like to think we are very smart but as a species we are not when compared to the problems we face.  We are driven to tinker with our environment and we learn from our mistakes.  Imagine if we were smart enough to not make "design flaws" in the first place?  A truly smart species would built a transportation system that doesn't kill 30,000 people per year.  Imagine if we could anticipate our mistakes before we make them.  That would be smart.  But evolution can't get us there because there is no particular destination.

• Like 1

Personally, as much as I hate to admit it - I think were getting dumber and dumber in many, many ways.....wouldn't even surprise me if we all eventually evolved back into the stupid, 'non conscious' animals that we once were again!! :shrug:

The post by 'my mistake' covers it pretty well. And I'm sure there are others that can explain even better.

Evolution doesn't have a preset destination in a direction that increases intelligence. It never did. I would say that intelligence is more of a byproduct of evolutionary "benefits". In humans anyway...

• Like 1

"Jesus loves the little children

All the children of the world

That's why he lets so many of em' starve

Let's em' die of disease

And let's em' get killed by snakes

Jesus loves the children of the world"

That's a strange way of showing love to children. I thought they were "precious in his sight".

• Like 1

Personally, as much as I hate to admit it - I think were getting dumber and dumber in many, many ways.....wouldn't even surprise me if we all eventually evolved back into the stupid, 'non conscious' animals that we once were again!! Wendyshrug.gif

The post by 'my mistake' covers it pretty well. And I'm sure there are others that can explain even better.

Evolution doesn't have a preset destination in a direction that increases intelligence. It never did. I would say that intelligence is more of a byproduct of evolutionary "benefits". In humans anyway...

You know something FW and MM.....you guys could be right!!! I did not think about it this way. I just saw an album full of pictures of Russian churches and monuments a few minutes ago, that were built in 1500 and they were bigger and better than what we have today in our cities. Powerful, big awesome buildings!! And they did this with none of the equipment that we have today. Then again....look at the pyramids?? You are right....man was quite intelligent a long, long time ago.

They might have even been smart enough to keep big 15 foot snakes out of the way of children!! This incident has affected me so much, I can't believe it. I was so depressed over this incident yesterday, that I cried all afternoon. What I think I was crying about was the tremendous amount of suffering that humans have to go through surviving life.

This incident has affected me so much, I can't believe it. I was so depressed over this incident yesterday, that I cried all afternoon. What I think I was crying about was the tremendous amount of suffering that humans have to go through surviving life.

Margee, knowing that you are suffering makes me suffer.  So stop it, it's contagious!   kiss.gif

How can we stop this suffering cycle?

I like what Bill said above (post #10):  "Honestly, i don't understand how we humans have managed to be as happy as we are in view of reality. Evolution, has somehow managed to at least partially protect us from being conscious of reality most of the time."

It's no surprise that we suffer, the weird thing is that we are able to be happy despite of it.  Death is enough to make anyone cry 24/7 for the rest of one's life.  We're all heading there.  We're all doomed physically, and we know it.  So why do we pretend to be happy?  When someone asked: "How are you?"  We reply: "Fine, thank you."  WTF?  No one is FINE!  We're doomed, people!

So what do we do?  We reinterprete the meaning of things and events to make us smile.  That's what religions do.  And without religion, each one of us has to do it individually to find happiness.  Reinterprete the meaning of whatever makes you suffer.  Use your imagination.  Convince yourself.  Believe in your fantasies.  It works.  That's how I was cured from depression.

• Like 1

You know something FW and MM.....you guys could be right!!! I did not think about it this way. I just saw an album full of pictures of Russian churches and monuments a few minutes ago, that were built in 1500 and they were bigger and better than what we have today in our cities. Powerful, big awesome buildings!! And they did this with none of the equipment that we have today. Then again....look at the pyramids?? You are right....man was quite intelligent a long, long time ago.

They might have even been smart enough to keep big 15 foot snakes out of the way of children!! This incident has affected me so much, I can't believe it. I was so depressed over this incident yesterday, that I cried all afternoon. What I think I was crying about was the tremendous amount of suffering that humans have to go through surviving life.

Wow that is so self defeating. You didn't do this. I understand you feel bad but 10's of thousands of people die a day and many in far worse ways than that. Many of them children starve to death but I don't see anyone crying over that here or really anywhere.

It is a terrible thing but if I let every terrible thing that happens affect me I would have killed myself a long time ago.

Step back and take breath. Try and distance youreslf from this before it causes you harm.

• Like 3

OK...so I've been thinking about this non-stop since I heard about it.

If we are really evolving as a conscious (smart) species wink.png  and we have the means to destroy the whole world by pushing a button, (as they say) why can't we start getting rid of these ancient reptiles? What purpose do they serve? Does anyone know? Why do we need the alligators, the snakes, the bugs that kill, etc... Can't we start to get them off the planet  and clean house a little? Why aren't we beginning to lower the earth's unsafe, non conscious animals and mammals who go through a lifetime just running on instinct? Do we just accept that this is the way it is? Evolution taking place? Just  call everything a 'terrible' accident when someone gets eaten alive by a lion or alligator or suffocate a slow death as a 15 foot snake is sucking the life out of you? First time in my life I'd like to own a gun. I'd shoot them. Isn't it time to get rid of the dinosaurs as well as the stupid ancient religions?

We've tried that before, and sometimes our meddling has pretty bad unintended consequences. Now, I'd say that introducing large, dangerous, human-eating predators into a non-native habitat is a pretty stupid thing to do (we should have been WAY more careful about bringing snakes here in the first place, or what we've done to so many other ecosystems when we've introduced predators that have no natural checks on their populations). But, on the other hand, a lot of native predators are part of the ecosystem's balance. We killed off most of the wolves because we didn't like them eating our cattle, so now the deer are overpopulated and we die by running our cars into them (and cause suffering to the deer we hit, and damage the plants by the stress on them from supporting way more deer than they should be feeding).

I think there are some plans to try to kill off the big snakes, but first you have to find them all, and then they're pretty dangerous. So there's a system in place where spotters call in sightings, and trained people go out to take care of 'em. http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/florida/howwework/stopping-a-burmese-python-invasion.xml

I'm also a little nervous about asserting that mamilian predators (like the big cats) are just running on instinct. Reptiles, maybe. But I think we've seen enough evidence of the large mamals shows empathy (at least for their own kind) and social behavior that I'd have a hard time ethically justifying killing them off.

As for the bugs.... we're working on that with mosquitos. They're hard to kill, the pesticides can harm other things in the environment that will negatively impact humans, and they do provide food for birds and frogs and all sorts of things. And with bugs, they breed fast - we kill off one thing that hurts us, and another will likely evolve. Kinda like how our misuse of antibiotics means we're only temporarily lowering the levels of human disease while breeding super-bacteria that we have no treatments for.

We're part of the planet, part of the ecosystem, not something separate and above it. I think it's a mistake to think of it as us "owning" the place, because unlike rearranging the furniture in our house, everything in the ecosystem is interconnected and we often end up breaking something we didn't even know was related when we make changes. We're more of... caretakers, I guess? It's ok to tweak things, to landscape and all that, as long as we're careful and thoughtful about it. We've been doing that for longer than written history, to the point that the vast majority of our food crops are species we bred to be the most tasty, easy to farm, and nutritious for us. So I'm not against adjusting nature to suit our needs, just vary wary of making large changes because of how many times our fixes have been worse than the original problem.

• Like 2

We have done a lot to rid ourselves of the dangers present in the wild! In this case, it is people's insistence that snakes make good pets that is responsible for these children's deaths. We could pass laws against owning them!

• Like 1

We have done a lot to rid ourselves of the dangers present in the wild! In this case, it is people's insistence that snakes make good pets that is responsible for these children's deaths. We could pass laws against owning them!

Just what we need more laws the replace common sense. I love the accountability of the humans...I really fucking utterly love it how can I to be as ridiculous as all this?

• Like 1

Just what we need more laws the replace common sense. I love the accountability of the humans...I really fucking utterly love it how can I to be as ridiculous as all this?

So people should be allowed to keep predators in residential areas? Maybe laws need to make more sense at times, but that doesn't mean we don't need laws. Laws don't necessarily prevent stupidity, but, well, sometimes they do. Sometimes laws make it hard to do stupid things. For instance, I expect that it's illegal to keep a pet mountain lion in a residential area. Laws against that kind of thing don't necessarily prevent it, but they make it more difficult to accomplish. And you can bet that somebody somewhere in the world has a mountain lion in their house, and claims that because it was raised from a cub, it wouldn't hurt anybody. And they would be wrong -- it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

We may need fewer laws, but that doesn't mean there aren't some laws that need to be written. Every couple of years somebody's pet python kills a child.

• Like 1

Common sense? For one, some of this stuff isn't common sense, and two, some people are so selfish that they'll do it even if they know the risks. Not to mention, some of the deadly pets discussed here aren't local to the continent they're living on. With the level of international trade going on in the world right now, we already have serious import restrictions in place, even (especially?) on things like produce and lumber. Transporting biological material across continents is often risky to the local flora and fauna. And even when it's local... there's laws in place about transporting firewood within a single state because we've got emerald ash borer quarntine areas (if you're not familiar with that, it's a non-native bug that kills ash trees and has has been decimating the trees in some areas of north america). That's not something that common sense would tell you to look for, particularly when the bug is new to your area and no one local knows how much of a problem it's going to become. So we have organizations in place to keep an eye on this stuff, inform the public of the risks, and, when it's proven to be a dangerous enough problem, then they pass laws to protect the trees (and the homeowners with those trees on their property, and the trees grown for lumber, etc). Kinda like how countries limited beef imports when mad cow started happening.

• Like 1