Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Still Listen To Christian Songs

GoodIndianBoy

I said this in another thread too I think, I still listen to certain xian bands because they were a big part of my life... but most of them are less worshipy bands. I was into xian rock and stuff. What I do now is if i am listening to a song that i know is about being found jebus I apply it to myself and my own life, and how the lyrics of that song might describe something i'm going through or went through. It's pretty easy with the xian songs that are vague enough to be about anything.

I'd rather listen to the sound of people vomiting over and over, than listen to Christian songs praising Jebus or "God".

Oh, and trust me many white folks also  find 'The Drummer Boy' plain nauseating. Damn, it is stuck in my head now...thanks tongue.png

It seems to me like white people really, really love Christmas carols.  Every time we were at church during December we sang Christmas carols and I wanted to kill myself. 

I have CDs from almost every Genre - The Gaither Homecomings, DC Talk/TobyMac, Hymns, Third Day, Sandy Patti, Carmen, The Winans, The Katinas, Out of Eden, Point of Grace, Mary Mary, The Martins, The Crabb Family, Jaci Velasquez, Delirious, Matt Redman, Worship Together, Passion, Women of Faith - you get the point. What a waste of money!!

I don't listen to any of it anymore but find myself sometimes enjoying a tune in my head, hard to remove this stuff from the jukebox in my head.

Slightly different topic, I used to frequent the website oneplace.com A LOT. It's a directory of sermons. So glad those days are over :)

Oh, and trust me many white folks also  find 'The Drummer Boy' plain nauseating. Damn, it is stuck in my head now...thanks tongue.png

It seems to me like white people really, really love Christmas carols.  Every time we were at church during December we sang Christmas carols and I wanted to kill myself. 

Some of us, yes. But my sister worked in retail, stuck for hours with the same tiny selection of christmas songs repeating all day all christmas season, and the idea of christmas music just makes her want to scream. Personally, I'm ok with a small dose of christmas music but it had better not start before Thanksgiving. Christmas isn't warm happy comfort to me - it's a more manic time of high stress that might be exciting, but certainly not comforting. I'd rather not have that last for months on end.

I used to live on christian songs when i was evangelical. Jars of clay, michael w smith and hillsong. Even though I have shed my christian beliefs these songs still are comforting in a certain way because they talk about a loving god who hold you up when you are without hope.

I know I should be cautious cuz these are like drugs and probably heroin addicts feel the same way if they have been recovering for a while and then get back on heroin

There is so much better music out there. I encourage you to open up your repertoire to it. You'll never go back to that shallow, emotionally-manipulative knock off of real music that is most xian songs.

• Super Moderator

I never could stand to listen to "Christian" music, old or new. The one exception is "Amazing Grace." I fucking love that song for some reason, especially on the bagpipes.

This is some pretty amazing gospel

Nope I can't listen to it. I totally switched off of it. What CDs I did have went in the trash or donated.

It's the lyrics and subject matter.

Lots of praising god and loving Jeebus. Contemporary Christian music, gospel, Christian rock, hymns. I just can't listen to it. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I no longer subscribe to the subject matter and so why would I listen to it.

some Christmas carols as instrumental is ok but I haven't played any in the past few Christmases.

There's plenty of alternative music to listen to that has great beats. Whatever christian contemporary or rock sound there is I am sure there's a secular equivalent.

I have always liked jazz, classical, metal, ( @Rach, I like Disturbed too). I like Rock, progressive rock. I love Rush. And when I became born again and got really into The religion. I stopped listening to them and rock and metal.

But now I am back to listening to all my fave music again without guilt or worry. Yey!

Now Rush have amazing music and lyrics I can enjoy and I can relate to far more.

"Faithless". Is a great song for the deconverted.

• Like 1

I used to live on christian songs when i was evangelical. Jars of clay, michael w smith and hillsong. Even though I have shed my christian beliefs these songs still are comforting in a certain way because they talk about a loving god who hold you up when you are without hope.

I know I should be cautious cuz these are like drugs and probably heroin addicts feel the same way if they have been recovering for a while and then get back on heroin

I kept my entire CD collection, and occasionally listen to the music.  Sometimes the lyrics get in the way of enjoying the music, but for the most part I just think of them as general love songs.  At least for the lighter stuff.  The heavier stuff is simply ear candy, and half the time I don't even hear the lyrics.  Bands like Mortification, Living Sacrifice, As I Lay Dying (which is only "technically" Christian), and Demon Hunter.  I personally find it rather petty to worry about a song's message.  If I like the music, that's all that matters.

I was thinking more about this topic and it's a bit like this for me.

Many of us have equated being a Christian as having a "relationship" with God. And when we left, deconverted, It's because we realized the deception, the manipulation, the abusiveness of Within that "relationship"

And more than once here at EX C I have seen people used that metaphor that it's like being in an abusive relationship with a guy or gal. god being the abuser.

And I know many of us found the deconversion a sad and painful experience. We lost someone, something we always believed in.

We got sad, angry, confused. all kinds of emotions.

Now I'm a sensitive person when it comes to music, it makes me cry, laugh, think. music is powerful to me. It can emotionally move me. I listen to various genres of music that can effect me in different ways. It can elevate me, make me happy, or calm me, excite me. Makes me cry. All different responses according to the style, tone, key, lyrics. Etc. it's all a package to me.

I am a musical person too. I took music and play piano. It's in me.

I am now exploring healing sound therapy.

I have chronic pain.

Didgeridoo, Tibetan singing bowls, Tanpura are healing sounds to me and effect me physically and mentally.

When I use to listen to Christian music it would move me, make me cry especially in church. I was "in love" with Jesus. Loved God. So the music meant much to me.

Just as when we are in love with a real person. There are songs we no doubt affiliate with that person. You have your special love songs. It comes on the radio and you think of that person.

Now when you break up with that person and you hear that song again. Your feelings maybe totally different about it depending on the circumstances of the break up. It may have been a painful and hurtful experience and so listening to that song can bring up emotions you really don't want to be feeling. It could be sadness, anger and so on.

There are songs I can't listen to because I associate them with ex boyfriends or bad memories from childhood and it effects me in a negative way and so I avoid listening to them. I will Switch the radio station if it comes on. I will Tune it out if it's playing in a store over the speakers, I just can't get past what the song represents.

And that's how I feel about Christian music.

I associate the songs, music with a bad break up. A sad time. It brings up negative feelings within me.

It does not bring me Pleasure, joy anymore like it once did.

I hope this explains a bit more from where I am coming from.

Thanks for reading my post.

• Like 1