Goodbye Jesus

Nde's Interesting New Find

JamesG

• Super Moderator

I've been following the work being done on this phenomenon for about four decades now. As the mounds of evidence for natural brain activity and not supernatural experience continue to grow, the True Believers just dig in deeper as believers will do in any religion.

Neuroscience has made great strides over the years. It's a shame that so many people simply ignore scientific evidence that refutes deeply held hopes and dreams. 

That said, I confess I would like a look at Rat Heaven for myself. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Rat Heaven probably involves lots of delicious garbage, it rains raisins, and no poison or traps or terriers or cats.

Don't you guys realize that the surge in electrical activity in the brain after blood stops flowing to it GOES ALONG WITH the soul's migration out of the body?  You'd expect precisely such an effect during the moments when the occult soul is leaving its body.  Again, science points toward what mysticism has known all along.

[sarcasm.  I'm guessing what a NDE believer might say in reply.]

so true Ficino I think I even saw as much in the comments

I've been following the work being done on this phenomenon for about four decades now. As the mounds of evidence for natural brain activity and not supernatural experience continue to grow, the True Believers just dig in deeper as believers will do in any religion.

Neuroscience has made great strides over the years. It's a shame that so many people simply ignore scientific evidence that refutes deeply held hopes and dreams. 

That said, I confess I would like a look at Rat Heaven for myself. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Regarding this article:

Did the rats report having an NDE when asphyxiated? Or did scientists just measure increased electrical brain activity? If the rats had been revived we would still not know if they had an NDE.  Does this same near death increase in brain activity occur in humans and if so does this indicate causation of NDE or just correlation?

Not saying an NDE is God calling you to heaven, just saying that the article didn't really prove anything about NDEs. Only final brain activity. I bet you could refer me to some interesting studies on humans. :-)

The reason they are associating it with NDE's was related to the overstimulation of the brain associated with consciousness which they did not expect. They did stress not to draw conclusions but this does lay the groundwork for more advanced studies.

The reason they are associating it with NDE's was related to the overstimulation of the brain associated with consciousness which they did not expect. They did stress not to draw conclusions but this does lay the groundwork for more advanced studies.

Well, I was hoping to push Florduh's buttons a bit cuz I have no life. But I wonder if a lucid dreamer could simulate an NDE and then cue the researcher in the waking world when it was occurring then see what the instruments record.

• Super Moderator
Well, I was hoping to push Florduh's buttons a bit cuz I have no life. But I wonder if a lucid dreamer could simulate an NDE and then cue the researcher in the waking world when it was occurring then see what the instruments record.

I no longer have any buttons. I've been married too long. It's a survival technique.

Lucid dreams are still dreams, not the brain in distress. I imagine there are studies to be found on the Internet, but I began looking into this way back when people had to obtain and read books. Susan Blackmore was one of the early authors on the subject. She is not a neuroscientist, but a psychologist who became interested in the study of NDEs. 

The often forgotten but most important thing to remember about this topic is that near death is not death. A living brain produces the memories people have of such an experience. In actual death, there is no living brain to do anything. It seem obvious, yet people want to infer that living brain functions somehow indicate those functions continue or are magically emulated after tissue death.

I no longer have any buttons. I've been married too long. It's a survival technique.

Lucid dreams are still dreams, not the brain in distress. I imagine there are studies to be found on the Internet, but I began looking into this way back when people had to obtain and read books. Susan Blackmore was one of the early authors on the subject. She is not a neuroscientist, but a psychologist who became interested in the study of NDEs. 

The often forgotten but most important thing to remember about this topic is that near death is not death. A living brain produces the memories people have of such an experience. In actual death, there is no living brain to do anything. It seem obvious, yet people want to infer that living brain functions somehow indicate those functions continue or are magically emulated after tissue death.

yes buttons must be snipped for happiness in marriage ;)

I agree with florduh here dreams don't have much to do with NDEs

a way to study this would be to provide health care costs to patients in a hospital who are likely to suffer cardiac arrest in return for allowing researchers to monitor brain activity. those that survive form a sample pool from which we could glean data from

• Super Moderator
a way to study this would be to provide health care costs to patients in a hospital who are likely to suffer cardiac arrest in return for allowing researchers to monitor brain activity. those that survive form a sample pool from which we could glean data from

I think it's already been studied to death (see what I did there?)

We know what happens to the distressed brain and we know what that activity can result in, and we can replicate those results in the lab. Unless someone finds a way to get information from those who have actually died and have no viable brain tissue to create images with, it's time to throw the dirt over this one. If we studied a thousand such patients we would find more examples of what we already know. If we induce the same NDE experiences in a thousand other subjects by stimulating healthy brains in the proper manner, it would replicate what's already been demonstrated. There are just some ideas the woo mind can't seem to ever let go of regardless of evidence. Again, it is a living brain that creates the images, feelings and memories during a so-called near death experience. In real death, there is no living brain, hence no such experience.

so many puns I just experienced an NDE.

Again, it is a living brain that creates the images, feelings and memories during a so-called near death experience. In real death, there is no living brain, hence no such experience.

Aren't all brains living until they're dead?  (Or most of them at least...I can think of some people that may be on the fence.)

So if you were to die and have this sort of NDE and just keep on dying until you're good and stone cold dead I think that would still mean you'd have the experience, right?  You just wouldn't be able to report it (being dead and all).

It's like those worms they've killed where they can see the death "wave" go through them over an hour and a half.  They die but it takes awhile for the whole of them to be notified that they're dead (or something like that).  So when are they dead?  At the start or end of the time period?  The died at the beginning but they weren't totally dead until the very end.

mwc

You guys are killing me here!

Oh look! I'm floating...

• Like 1

Again, it is a living brain that creates the images, feelings and memories during a so-called near death experience. In real death, there is no living brain, hence no such experience.

Aren't all brains living until they're dead?  (Or most of them at least...I can think of some people that may be on the fence.)

So if you were to die and have this sort of NDE and just keep on dying until you're good and stone cold dead I think that would still mean you'd have the experience, right?  You just wouldn't be able to report it (being dead and all).

It's like those worms they've killed where they can see the death "wave" go through them over an hour and a half.  They die but it takes awhile for the whole of them to be notified that they're dead (or something like that).  So when are they dead?  At the start or end of the time period?  The died at the beginning but they weren't totally dead until the very end.

mwc

the worms are not "dead" until every last cell is perished what one can say is currently the worm's body is incapable of supporting life.