Goodbye Jesus

Another Group Of People Who Get Heavily Criticized

dB-Paradox

I think I've found another group of people who get heavily criticized for a change in their life. 

Hi, my name is Dan and it's been a really long time since I've posted anything here.  In the past, we've seen adults afraid to tell their parents, spouses, or other family and friends about their deconversion.  It seems to be a common theme.  Fear of telling loved ones that you're no longer a Christian.  It's also been pointed out that this is bullshit.  We shouldn't have to feel like children afraid of wrath from our parents when we did something wrong, simply because we no longer believe.  And when we do say something, we often get people trying to talk us out of our "brainwashed" thinking, or ask us why we are so angry with the god they believe is going to send us to hell simply because we're not convinced he exists.  Lately, I've been a part of a forum that puts a group of people in the heavily criticized category for making what I feel is a mild change...growing a beard.

The men on that forum hear it from their spouses, parents, and other family and friends how much they don't like the new beard.  They'll get questions like, "Is this your mid-life crisis?" or comments like, "You look like a terrorist!".  Generally, clean shaven men who decide to grow a beard get somewhat terrible treatment from the people they love for making a personal choice, and a rather mundane one, at that!  My wife has never liked my beard.  Many others have said the same thing, telling how upset their wives were when they told them they were going to keep the beard, even after the wife asked them to shave it off.  I get jokes from my mom that she will shave it off one day.  My wife chimes in and says she'll do it while I'm asleep!  Of course, they're joking but it does tell how much they hate it, aside from them actually verbalizing how much they hate it!  Why should a man have to constantly get hounded simply because he wants to grow a beard? 

Why should an apostate get hounded simply because the evidence of a deity is seriously lacking?  It seems to me that people will complain about anything and everything, especially when change is involved.  Perhaps apostates to the Christian faith are a small group of a much larger sample of groups of people who get harassed for not living up to someone else's expectations.  No matter...when we make waves, we challenge others.  So keep making waves and don't be afraid to tell loved ones you no longer believe.  Because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter!

Strange that women get so worked up about a guy's facial hair when they compliment each other on their new hairdos all the time. I think, though I'm not sure, that a new hairdo is one of those things that you're supposed to lie to people about and always say how wonderful it is even when it's not, unless they're a really close friend and ask for an honest answer.

I do have one friend who hates it when women change their hair style or color, but that's because there's something wrong with his brain and he has trouble recognising faces, so a hair change means he honestly can't figure out who you are. I'd always assumed that something like that was behind people's weirdness about beards; that faces are part of how we recognise each other and it's disconcerting. However, the reaction you describe sounds much more extreeme, like it's just bigotry (and not an innocent expression of feeling temporarily confused and disoriented). I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I think I've found another group of people who get heavily criticized for a change in their life. 

Hi, my name is Dan and it's been a really long time since I've posted anything here.  In the past, we've seen adults afraid to tell their parents, spouses, or other family and friends about their deconversion.  It seems to be a common theme.  Fear of telling loved ones that you're no longer a Christian.  It's also been pointed out that this is bullshit.  We shouldn't have to feel like children afraid of wrath from our parents when we did something wrong, simply because we no longer believe.  And when we do say something, we often get people trying to talk us out of our "brainwashed" thinking, or ask us why we are so angry with the god they believe is going to send us to hell simply because we're not convinced he exists.  Lately, I've been a part of a forum that puts a group of people in the heavily criticized category for making what I feel is a mild change...growing a beard.

The men on that forum hear it from their spouses, parents, and other family and friends how much they don't like the new beard.  They'll get questions like, "Is this your mid-life crisis?" or comments like, "You look like a terrorist!".  Generally, clean shaven men who decide to grow a beard get somewhat terrible treatment from the people they love for making a personal choice, and a rather mundane one, at that!  My wife has never liked my beard.  Many others have said the same thing, telling how upset their wives were when they told them they were going to keep the beard, even after the wife asked them to shave it off.  I get jokes from my mom that she will shave it off one day.  My wife chimes in and says she'll do it while I'm asleep!  Of course, they're joking but it does tell how much they hate it, aside from them actually verbalizing how much they hate it!  Why should a man have to constantly get hounded simply because he wants to grow a beard? 

Why should an apostate get hounded simply because the evidence of a deity is seriously lacking?  It seems to me that people will complain about anything and everything, especially when change is involved.  Perhaps apostates to the Christian faith are a small group of a much larger sample of groups of people who get harassed for not living up to someone else's expectations.  No matter...when we make waves, we challenge others.  So keep making waves and don't be afraid to tell loved ones you no longer believe.  Because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter!

Good seeing you again, it's been a while.

Congratz on your beard.  I like the look of a well trimmed beard but I can't grow one myself because I can't stand the itchiness that sets in around day 8.

I have to agree with the parallels you make regarding Christianity.  Today's sermon was about proudly representing the faith even if it offends others.  I was sitting there thinking I'm the one who has to keep silent or else the Christians will hate me for my thoughts.  What hypocrisy.

I can see excellent reasons for growing a beard - much less trouble to look after a beard.

• Super Moderator

Lighthouse 2013 2013-08-18 001 (1013x1024).jpg

The Jesus of their mythology had a beard. End of story. STFU, beard haters.

attachicon.gifLighthouse 2013 2013-08-18 001 (1013x1024).jpg

Second third and fourth... oh and he was a white guy to in a place in world and history there were probably few..."white jews"

and in my geographical region in the last 5 years it seems beard has made a strong come back. I estimate 65% or more men 25-45 in this area currently have a beard. Almost all smelly IT people I work with have them. It is the new "hipster" evolution. Wish I could find the link on YOUTUBE for a great puppeterring explanation of this, wait here it is:

Evolution of the Hipster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTI7eWaQbk

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

The opposite of Jumping the SharkGrowing the Beard is the definitive moment when a television series begins to become noticeably better in quality. This often involves a new writer or other creative person coming on board, the happy discovery of a popular character, or the exit of a meddling executive. In general, this is where the franchise starts to find its voice. Getting someone new into a series with an abysmal beginning can be difficult, as they only have one's word that "it gets a lot better, really." Can occasionally accompany a downplay or removal of less popular characters.

William_Riker_Growing_The_Beard_4.jpg

The one on the right is much better.

EDIT: and  he got more alien space babes after.  

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

The opposite of Jumping the SharkGrowing the Beard is the definitive moment when a television series begins to become noticeably better in quality. This often involves a new writer or other creative person coming on board, the happy discovery of a popular character, or the exit of a meddling executive. In general, this is where the franchise starts to find its voice. Getting someone new into a series with an abysmal beginning can be difficult, as they only have one's word that "it gets a lot better, really." Can occasionally accompany a downplay or removal of less popular characters.

William_Riker_Growing_The_Beard_4.jpg

The one on the right is much better.

EDIT: and  he got more alien space babes after.  

Smooth as an androids bottom.

Lighthouse 2013 2013-08-18 001 (1013x1024).jpg

of course their Jesus didn't have as epic a beard as the one I had and am going for again. So maybe they're just jealous! ha!

An American with a beard is a distinct sign of someone who goes against the establishment and balks against authority. A mustache is the gateway drug to wanting to do just whatever the hell you want regardless of society telling you otherwise. :-)

• Like 1

I can see excellent reasons for growing a beard - much less trouble to look after a beard.

I rarely shave, my beard is a disaster. After 10 years my wife mentioned one time that she doesn't like beards but would not want me to remove it unless it was my idea. I surprise her with a clean shave now and then. :-) Bleeding is a good reason to avoid shaving.

Weird, my girlfriend likes when I have facial hair. Plus I hate having to shave every day so much of it is out of laziness. 

beard1.pngbeard2.png

• Like 1

so you got that going for ya.

See my beard?

Ain't it weird?

Don't be skeered;

It's just a beard.

-George Carlin

I like the 5o clock shadow 

The woman in the red dress is for sure real.  I don't find it attractive, but I'm sure someone does.  And even if no one else in the world does, as long as she's happy and true to herself.

I don't like it when my boything's in full beard mode because it obscures his beautiful chin and jawline and that is a travesty.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I like facial hair (well kept of course)... some modern men are just too pretty... and what's with men waxing their chests? If you aren't a dancer, or body builder.. umm... no.

viva le beard!

I like facial hair (well kept of course)... some modern men are just too pretty... and what's with men waxing their chests? If you aren't a dancer, or body builder.. umm... no.

viva le beard!

so you like the carpet of virility 

Babe Didrickson was an outstanding twentieth century athlete.  She was often criticized for being "mannish".  When a female heckler asked her tauntingly where her beard was, she responded "I'm sitting on it, sister, same as you.

• Like 1

If you don't wanna be razzed for having a beard, don't bitch when a woman doesn't shave her legs.  ;)

If you don't wanna be razzed for having a beard, don't bitch when a woman doesn't shave her legs.  wink.png

Can't argue with that! 

I changed my profile picture to reflect the beard I once had, and am going for again....