Goodbye Jesus

Facebook Disappointment

Margee

I like Facebook.  It has helped me find old friends and keep up with extended family.  I'm sorry your experience has been so negative, Margee, and I hope it gets better.

Thanks Ro-bear. It has definitely improved!! I am quite enjoying the whole experience now. And I have all my Ex-c friends there now! yellow.gif

It's quite fun to send a little message to my boy and girl who I do not talk to everyday.They are sending me funny little messages too!! Besides all the Gawd stuff that comes in (that you guys have always complained about).....it's not so bad!! I get to say hi to my favorite people and send them a hug every couple of days. Makes me feel pretty good!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me know what to do, and not to do on Facebook!! *hugs* to you all today!! biggrin.png

Never join Linkedin, that is a real piece of crap.

Not sure if I filled in the form or not but if I did, I backed out as soon as I was in. I distrust public things that make me fill in my street address and telephone number. I even hate linkedin when I'm researching someone. If I find a name on the internet, I think I might at least find a profile with a brief bio. On linkin, all I find is a first and last name and street address. Maybe telephone number. So I know this or that name exists in the flesh in such and such a town. Much good that does me.

Tell me more! My professional friends said to be on there instead of FB just to have a presence online (professional reasons) so I joined. It has not helped me professionally, lol. I have not heard the negatives, so please fill me in. Thanks.

All I got was black Nigerian women wanting to be my friend, nuff said.

Not sure if I filled in the form or not but if I did, I backed out as soon as I was in. I distrust public things that make me fill in my street address and telephone number. I even hate linkedin when I'm researching someone. If I find a name on the internet, I think I might at least find a profile with a brief bio. On linkin, all I find is a first and last name and street address. Maybe telephone number. So I know this or that name exists in the flesh in such and such a town. Much good that does me.

I really can't agree its a piece of crap, since I once got a job interview through linkedin.  I do think that professional networking is the only use for it, though.

LinkedIn is a decent service for professional networking.

Basis for your statement?

I have had account on this site for years many years. Gotten jobs made money with it and met good business contacts.

IF you use it like facebook that is the issue.

IT IS NOT a social networking site. Period. It is for business and connections for business. Use it any other way and you go wrong I promise.

Making baseless statements is a loss for everyone.

If you have a specific reason to say this please let us know the story so we can gain from it as well. If not expect people to challenge you BASELESS STATEMENT.

Did the whole business profile and back here had nothing more than friend requests from black Nigerian women. The same shit you get in spam emails. My dear.... and so on.

I do not think folk in SA use social networking as any form of gauge of what you may be like.

I have my own website for my business and get hits on that for legitimate business reasons. The LI profile linked to the website so I was not using it as a social networking platform.

The Nigerian scamsters seem to be very active and usually resident in SA.

Did the whole business profile and back here had nothing more than friend requests from black Nigerian women. The same shit you get in spam emails. My dear.... and so on.

I do not think folk in SA use social networking as any form of gauge of what you may be like.

I have my own website for my business and get hits on that for legitimate business reasons. The LI profile linked to the website so I was not using it as a social networking platform.

The Nigerian scamsters seem to be very active and usually resident in SA.

Never seen this on Link

ever.

Maybe if people see you are in a certain part of the world that changes but IN the US I have never had a problem.

Many people I know use it for business and it works as intended. I only use it for that and would not respond to anyone for any other purpose.

I left FB when it was revealed they track you all around the internet, even after you log out.  With everybody tracking and monitoring us without our permission, why would you want to give yourself to these corporations of your own free will?  When some service like FB is free, that means you are the currency, and your info is being sold to the highest bidder in order to keep the lights on.

I will say that my life is much better without FB, and I am truly surprised at how many people act shocked I left and tell me what Im missing.  TBH, some people have behaved in a similar manner than when I left church.  I had FB for 5 years; I know that I am missing nothing. 

**ADDED**

Margee, I noticed you said your daughter set up your privacy settings?  I STRONGLY recommend you either learn to edit them yourself or have her check them on a monthly basis.  FB is notorious for "defaulting" all of your privacy setting to the default "share everything with everybody" every time they make a update or change the layout, and on at least one occasion, for no reason whatsoever, my privacy settings just changed to the default...