Things Fundies Send In Email

Sybaris

Today I received the viral urban legend containing "proof" that the christian god stopped the sun for a day so Joshua could go on slaughtering people (such a loving god) and that NASA has proven it to be true.

In about 20 seconds I found a half dozen different online sites debunking the claim and cut-n-pasted the Snopes one into the return email.

The sender sent this back:

You are so thorough, ______.  I truly appreciate the gift.  I have found God does not need any defense on my part, though wonder how these things get going in the first place.  Perhaps, these folks do not need to defend God either.  Or, they just don't have enough to do.   Thanks again, _______

If your god doesn't need defending then why do you send such crap to everyone in your address list? WendyDoh.gif

• Like 3

Oh, yeah! This hoax cracks me up every time I read it. I especially love it how the scientists are supposedly calculating how many days have happened since the beginning of time, measuring the movement of the earth around the sun as compared with "the standard." I was like... what standard? And then, the story goes, the computer starts freaking out and blinking all crazy (I picture the hilariously dated computer on the old Starship Enterprise) and having a meltdown because something does not compute.

I'm like... wait, how does anyone buy this for even one second, even if it does confirm their belief system? Has all critical thinking gone out the window?

Many theists are deficient with non-religious subjects, with rational thinking, with the use of logic, among many other things.

You are simply seeing examples of those deficiencies.  You should not be surprised.  This is the way most of them are.

Plus, as soon as authoritarian thinking enters the equation, reality becomes irrelevant. Who cares whether the story is true, its message supports your group's being (morally) right, that's all that counts.

• Like 1

Many theists are deficient with non-religious subjects, with rational thinking, with the use of logic, among many other things.

You are simply seeing examples of those deficiencies.  You should not be surprised.  This is the way most of them are.

If you spent your whole life ignoring these things it seems very reasonable to make the assumption they would know nothing about them or what they are really doing by not employing them in everyday life...I call it asshattery. Ignorance is a choice for anyone in a first world country.

If you spent your whole life ignoring these things it seems very reasonable to make the assumption they would know nothing about them or what they are really doing by not employing them in everyday life...I call it asshattery. Ignorance is a choice for anyone in a first world country.

I am ignorant in many subject areas.  This is because some of them don't interest me and also because I do not have sufficient time to study and absorb material in all subjects - there are too many of them.  However, I have learned, more or less, to realize when I do not know something.  Many theists cannot make this distinction.  They pretend to have knowledge in subjects they have never investigated.  This is easily observed because they frequently merely repeat lies and misrepresentations from their religion's apologetics.  They do this to support their religious beliefs.  Willful ignorance is their friend.

I am ignorant in many subject areas.  This is because some of them don't interest me and also because I do not have sufficient time to study and absorb material in all subjects - there are too many of them.  However, I have learned, more or less, to realize when I do not know something.  Many theists cannot make this distinction.  They pretend to have knowledge in subjects they have never investigated.  This is easily observed because they frequently merely repeat lies and misrepresentations from their religion's apologetics.  They do this to support their religious beliefs.  Willful ignorance is their friend.

being ignorant to a specific topic is one thing. Being ignorant of reason is another all together. Being willingly ignorant is no different than being a waste of space. People like that that choose to ignore reason or at least consider other peoples opinions while they fully expect you to consider theirs do not deserve to be heard.

being ignorant to a specific topic is one thing. Being ignorant of reason is another all together. Being willingly ignorant is no different than being a waste of space. People like that that choose to ignore reason or at least consider other peoples opinions while they fully expect you to consider theirs do not deserve to be heard.

Good point.  I would rather describe theists who avoid using rational thinking (particularly with respect to their own theism) as disingenuous, first, and intellectually lazy (i.e., willingly ignorant), second.  There is an emotional and psychological need for strongly addicted theists to lie and cheat, an example being the conduct noted in the phrase "Lying for Jesus".  Willful ignorance is a consequence of this behavior and not the cause of it.

I was not talking about you being ignorant simply those that actually believe that stuff. I could have phrased it better.

No one is educated in all subject areas and anyone who says they are is a fucking liar and I am calling them out right now.

I deal with that everyday. Working in IT you always have one asshat that thinks they are fully trained and qualified in all areas of IT and computer science. Never actually met one and 100% of those that say they are generally fail hard at almost all of them. Talk is cheap.

Today I received the viral urban legend containing "proof" that the christian god stopped the sun for a day so Joshua could go on slaughtering people (such a loving god) and that NASA has proven it to be true.

In about 20 seconds I found a half dozen different online sites debunking the claim and cut-n-pasted the Snopes one into the return email.

The sender sent this back:

You are so thorough, ______.  I truly appreciate the gift.  I have found God does not need any defense on my part, though wonder how these things get going in the first place.  Perhaps, these folks do not need to defend God either.  Or, they just don't have enough to do.   Thanks again, _______

If your god doesn't need defending then why do you send such crap to everyone in your address list? WendyDoh.gif

That one was around back in the days of mimeograph, before the Xerox! I remember being given a copy of the story in Bible class when I was 9 or 10.

http://justasqpeg.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/is-it-a-sin-to-make-up-stupid-sht-about-gd-and-try-to-pass-it-off-as-the-truth/

"Is it a sin to make up stupid sh*t about g*d and try to pass it off as the truth?"

MerryG: I don't know if is a "sin" but the wide spread use of lies and deception are major reasons I left

Xtianity. Does any non-Xtian think that people like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell truly believe what

they preach? People like them are frauds through and through. bill

At the studio I used to work at (and was preached at regularly) I had the manager tell me this was true.  Being that we are in a semi scientific field that requires an ability to think logically and troubleshoot technical problems, I laughed out loud right in his face.  He got the classic deer in the headlights look as I started explaining how this story is obviously told from a geocentric worldview, for if NASA really did find a missing day (how could they tell this anyway?), it would mean the earth had to stop spinning, not the sun stopping in the sky, and presumably all other bodies in the solar system and/or universe would have had to stop spinning as well.  

I got the feeling that he had never considered the geocentric/heliocentric viewpoints before, and even though he didn't and would never admit it, I am sure this is one time I actually got through to him and he saw how stupid the idea was.  I actually miss those preaching days, cause every single time they tried to talk to me, I was able to show them their understanding of the bible was wrong.  I also loved the time I pointed out to them the 2 genealogies of jesus in the NT were completely different from each other...

... if NASA really did find a missing day (how could they tell this anyway?)... .

That's the weirdest thing about this old story, and it really shows its age. It came from a time when people thought computers could do anything, and were smarter than people. The idea that you could run a program that would "go back through time", well, what does that even mean? We have historical trends of data points, but they only go back to the day the process variable was built on the system. If a new point replaces an old one, we may be able to pre-pend the old history, but you have to have the data to begin with.

But this story is from the 1960s, when computers were new and exciting. Preachers often made up illustrations then (and still do) to make some sort of point, not intending that people take their story as fact. But they told these stories as if they were real, and people believed them. And the preacher who made up the story probably thought it could really happen!

What's really bizarre is that people have no more understanding of computers than they did way back then, even though everybody uses them on a daily basis now.

MerryG:  A pastor accidentally launched a kitten?  What the hell kind of story even begins that way?  Why would any sane adult launch a kitten, accidentally or not?  The trouble with that story (besides the obvious kitten abuse) is that xians would believe it and pass it around on email and FB as a wonderful, true story of how god answers prayers.  So some little girl gets a free kitten (like there aren't thousands of free kittens out there) which her parents may or may not have appreciated (kittens are often free, then the costs begin with vets and food and meds), while hundreds of children that same day are starving and dying and not having food accidentally launched at them by pastors.  Stupid, stupid god.  Stupid story.  Stupid people who would believe it and think that god did a wonderful thing in answering a prayer for a kitten.

It's (wrong, a sin, immoral, unethical -- pick your word) to make up stupid shit about god and pass it off for the truth because you're taking advantage of stupid people.  And if people are too dumb to realize that a story is probably made up or just pointless (why a kitten for one little girl while thousands of other little girls are starving?), then that's also wrong.  If people are too dumb to realize that the sun cannot stop, then that's wrong, too.  Stupid people.

It makes me laugh when it says in the bible that god made people in his image.  The more I know/hear of people who believe those stupid stories and pass them on as gospel truth, I have to think god must be pretty stupid if we're in his image.

Plus, as soon as authoritarian thinking enters the equation, reality becomes irrelevant. Who cares whether the story is true, its message supports your group's being (morally) right, that's all that counts.

Good point.  I would rather describe theists who avoid using rational thinking (particularly with respect to their own theism) as disingenuous, first, and intellectually lazy (i.e., willingly ignorant), second.  There is an emotional and psychological need for strongly addicted theists to lie and cheat, an example being the conduct noted in the phrase "Lying for Jesus".  Willful ignorance is a consequence of this behavior and not the cause of it.

http://justasqpeg.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/is-it-a-sin-to-make-up-stupid-sht-about-gd-and-try-to-pass-it-off-as-the-truth/

"Is it a sin to make up stupid sh*t about g*d and try to pass it off as the truth?"

Not a sin. Dishonestly has been the official policy of Christian religion for quite some time now. So long as it 'glorifies God' and 'encourages belief' it's perfectly 'acceptable'.

"I have repeated whatever may rebound to the glory, and suppressed all that could tend to the disgrace of our religion" - Eusebius

"How far it may be proper to use falsehood as a medium for the benefit of those who require to be deceived" - Eusebius

I now see the disclaimer "I don't care if this is true or not, it's such a heartwarming (or heartwrenching) story" posted along with some BS article. Someone also used this disclaimer in the FB comments section after someone reposted the Bill Cosby "I'm Tired" story again.

I used to post the associated snopes.com debunking article link but it appears snopes has been trumped by idiocy. :-)

Today something incredibly offensive came on my news feed on Facebook.

First of all, it's a few men in an accident...A motorcycle accident...They are all lying dead on the ground and one guy is fucking split at the waist CLEAN in half, Typical Christian scare tactic.

It was saying how people who say they don't believe in God have died in horrible accidents. The thing that pissed me off the most was about Miss Marilyn(Monroe). Apparently she went on a talk show and said "I don't need your Jesus" and died three weeks later. I fucking hate, hate, hate whoever wrote that. Miss Marilyn had so many problems; she suffered so much. Whether it was accidental or not, she committed suicide. It is so sad. She was an intelligent, special lady to. Fuck whoever wrote that, saying she died because of something I doubt she even said.

How gruesome was it? Here.

A man of 32 years, was smoking, while smoking
his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the
air and said:'God, that's for you.'
He died at the age of 32 of LUNG CANCER in a
horrible manner.

My reply was "Is that man seriously split in half? I doubt Marilyn ever said that. She was a honey."

I was nice...

To Melancholy:  Honestly, that is just obscene.  Whether people make up lies about Marilyn Monroe or a stranger in a photo, it is just obscene to use them for your own agenda.  These people have relatives and people who love them and who needs that kind of bullshit written about them?  Obviously, Marilyn Monroe, being a public figure, has (had) no control over what the media or anyone says about her, but to use photos of individual citizens and attach lies to them is really obscene.

Seeing that Marilyn died in 1962, I cannot imagine she said anything negative about Jesus on public tv.  I'm sure back then that it would have been censored, plus she was a professional and wouldn't have said anything that would have hurt her career in that day and age.  I have no idea what, if any, religion she was, but that's the point -- it's not our business and no one's business to put words in her mouth to try to sell a xian agenda.