Goodbye Jesus

Undecided

unsaved

Some books that helped me find my way through questioning Christianity were:

"A Heretic's Guide to Eternity" by Spencer Burke (he's not an atheist, he's more of a universalist)

"Why I Am Not A Christian" by Bertrand Russell

***"The Myth of the Resurrection and Other Essays"by Joseph McCabe*** (you'll like this one. it's short too!)

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

This journey to knowledge will not be peaceful, but it will be awesome! We've all been there. Keep coming back for support.

Look at evilbible.com and http://godisimaginary.com   for some bible refutation.

"he would do everything in his power to break us up" - what power does he have? Maybe control of whether or not you live at home, but you could live with a friend as a roommate provided you have some income. Your Dad's power is diminishing, especially now that you are an adult.

"they would say shes a terrible sinner." - everyone's a sinner according to church doctrine. You could mention Matthew 7:1-3 and Matthew 7:3 if you feel like arguing the bible against them.

Power he has?  You're right, not much, but I do seriously wonder if he would give the option, break up with her, or leave.  At this moment, I could not financially afford to leave, (though this may change in 2 weeks [job opportunity] ). I would never break up with her either, so it would be a bad situation at this moment if he found out about us.

Her a sinner?  Dad, pastor, and the entire church, would say that she doesn't have the evidence of a "born again" christian (you're not supposed to date someone that's a sinner) and on top of this, they have to agree with basically every doctrine of our church.  They would think of her as not being a good person for me, they would disapprove of her in a heartbeat.  

This is one, of many, many, reasons that I have come to question Christianity.  They are extremely judgmental.

• Super Moderator

Welcome!

Why do you believe that there is no god?

Funny, that's a recurring semantic argument around here. Do you not believe there is a god or do you believe there is no god? Some think the former is more agnostic while the latter is a positive statement of belief as if you have proof. Anyway......

It is the people who assert that a god, a fairy, a bigfoot or a ghost exist who have the burden of proof. Without evidence, there is no reason to believe in someone's extraordinary assertion. IOW, atheism is the default position we are born with, people must manage to convince you that their idea of a god actually exists. There is no way anyone can prove beyond doubt that the aforementioned examples don't exist, but there is no need to do that. If you want to tell me that the planet Saturn is made of Greek yogurt, I can't prove it's not, but you better bring some proof!

If you want to tell me that the planet Saturn is made of Greek yogurt, I can't prove it's not, but you better bring some proof!

They say the proof is in the pudding, but maybe its in the yogurt...hmmm. Food for thought. :)

• Like 1

Look at evilbible.com and http://godisimaginary.com   for some bible refutation.

"he would do everything in his power to break us up" - what power does he have? Maybe control of whether or not you live at home, but you could live with a friend as a roommate provided you have some income. Your Dad's power is diminishing, especially now that you are an adult.

"they would say shes a terrible sinner." - everyone's a sinner according to church doctrine. You could mention Matthew 7:1-3 and Matthew 7:3 if you feel like arguing the bible against them.

Power he has?  You're right, not much, but I do seriously wonder if he would give the option, break up with her, or leave.  At this moment, I could not financially afford to leave, (though this may change in 2 weeks [job opportunity] ). I would never break up with her either, so it would be a bad situation at this moment if he found out about us.

Her a sinner?  Dad, pastor, and the entire church, would say that she doesn't have the evidence of a "born again" christian (you're not supposed to date someone that's a sinner) and on top of this, they have to agree with basically every doctrine of our church.  They would think of her as not being a good person for me, they would disapprove of her in a heartbeat.  

This is one, of many, many, reasons that I have come to question Christianity.  They are extremely judgmental.

What they don't know won't hurt You. :-)

Welcome! It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, lol! But best of luck in your research and relationship. 

One of the videos that started planting the seeds of doubt in my mind was a 1 hour-long interview between Richard Dawkins and Derren Brown. Derren Brown is a world-class British illusionist who sometimes calls out "psychics" and people who "practice magic". I don't think they even mentioned religion explicitly, but I drew way too many uncomfortable similarities between how the cold-readers, psychics, or "sorcerers" manipulated people with how people are manipulated in church. It's more of an oblique line of research, but what Darren has to say about how he creates illusions and manipulates people may appear familiar to what you sometimes see in church. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8-UTM