Goodbye Jesus

I Just Want To Breathe

Mycroft

After reading your post I'm again depressed for being unable to tell my parents. I take my hat of to you for doing it.

Welvaart om de waarheid te vinden. Hier zijn veel mensen die kunnen helpen als u vragen heeft.

I can't really give you any better advice that you've already received, but I want to say "congratulations!" I wish I would have realized the truth when I was young. I'm 53 now, and only realized that there are no gods about two years ago! I'm sure it's difficult right now, but you have such a great head-start on life, your future looks bright.

the devil was just a “watch out for the dog” sign that was cleverly placed there to keep people from leaving the church.

What a wonderful way to put it!

I never got around to replying to your testimony, so here goes... You made a brave step, and I applause your rational approach and your honesty with your parents. I hope you stay around the forum, you seem like a bright young man with a lot to share.

I wanted to address your meeting. I feel like you do not have to be confrontational from the sounds of things. Like many have said above, it is better to be honest that you do not know and avoid arguing the finer points of your family and peers' biblical knowledge. Do not feel you need to deny your emotional feelings during any talks either. Keeping a stiff upper lip doesn't prove anything. You aren't there to win or lose a discussion, and maybe make that clear when in discussions with folks about your choices. This is not about who is right or wrong. This is about what you personally believe and you simply want respect of that.

Keep up your quest to understand why things are, and even if you are somewhat at the mercy of living at home, it doesn't make you a SLAVE to whatever they want you to think or believe.

Hey Mycroft, I'm new here too. Also very much your senoir, I think. Anyway, I don't know how much comfort this thought might bring but,,, don't let anyone bully you into thinking you owe them an explanation. Good luck man

Thanks man! The fact that you're new here might mean that you just got out out of christianity too. In that case; good luck to you too, my friend. 

rock and roll is cool daddy and you know it

After reading your post I'm again depressed for being unable to tell my parents. I take my hat of to you for doing it.

Welvaart om de waarheid te vinden. Hier zijn veel mensen die kunnen helpen als u vragen heeft.

At first I thought you tanslated the last bit with google. Then I saw you're from South Africa. :) Bedankt voor de Afrikaanse steun mijn vriend, en sterkte met je eigen soektog! 

I never got around to replying to your testimony, so here goes... You made a brave step, and I applause your rational approach and your honesty with your parents. I hope you stay around the forum, you seem like a bright young man with a lot to share.

I'm certainly planning to do so. Thanks again!

Hey Mycroft, I'm new here too. Also very much your senoir, I think. Anyway, I don't know how much comfort this thought might bring but,,, don't let anyone bully you into thinking you owe them an explanation. Good luck man

Thanks man! The fact that you're new here might mean that you just got out out of christianity too. In that case; good luck to you too, my friend. 

How did you get the 'unite' picture after only 5 posts :o I want that too :'( 

Welcome and thanks for sharing - your English is very commendable and your story is very heart breaking and familiar to many of us on this forum. I am from a Dutch community in Canada (Canadian Reformed) and if your Dutch community is anything like mine, you're in for a helluva ride...

Many have given great advice here. Remember that you have rights. You don't have to answer every question. Stay polite and kind and try your hardest to avoid saying things you can't take back. Apologize for hurting people - that's a tough one because they don't realize how much YOUR hurting too. :(

And the best thing about deconverting is that now you can start an incredible journey of discovery involving science, philosophy and any damn religion YOU WANT! You no longer have to be scared about "being wrong" because you've just learned one of the greatest lessons life can throw - most of us are wrong, most of the time. :D

How did you get the 'unite' picture after only 5 posts ohmy.png I want that too :'( 

I'm not sure Mycroft, they just gave me that. Now that you mention it, it is pretty cool, and by the way,,great profile pic, very European, I really like it