Goodbye Jesus

Stop Hating Christians Who Hate People They Don't Like!

ISISBrett

I am a frequent regular of Right Wing Watch's facebook page and yeah, I call batshit crazy Religious right people who are reported in the page's updates "retards" along with insulting their plans. From Pat Robertson, Sandy Rios, David Barton, Linda Harvey, Gordon Klingenschmitt and more, Right Wing Watch displays many, many insane things they say. Today, one of my FB friends called me out being a regular in that page and we had an hour-long talk on why "hating those 'Christians' is a sin."

Said friend told me that hate is like murder. Said friend vented out that I'm a hypocrite for hating people who hate. Said friend wants me to ignore these people and said friend told me to quit hating these "Christians." 

Firstly, I'm not crazy enough to murder those 5 people in my example.

2nd- while there are nice religious people, they are swept under the rug and are replaced by a majority of hateful asshats who believe that their religious POV IS the correct POV to live one's life. 

3rd- if I truly hated these people, I'd be making shirts of their quotes and my response to those quotes on those shirts. I'd also use Photoshop. 

4th- There are many Christians today who are hateful and are not into loving those they disagree with. Recent example: gay soldier Eric Alva, a loving Christian man was booed by a prayer group for being an advocate for impending LGBTQ protection upgrades on San Antonio's anti-discrimination laws. Said group touted that these upgrades would call their bigotry out, punish them for it and lied that "oh the gays can now be in office without scrutiny!!"  

I blocked the guy after I said "we're done." 

I have anger issues. I'm an angry guy and I do pop out occasionally but whenever the Religious Rightards feel a group of people must change or die because their holy book says so: I can't help it. Those religitards ARE full retards and are not going to stop until they get what they want. If calling these people retards on facebook pisses off Christians and they see it as me hating them, so be it. Like Bill Maher, I point out how wrong these religitards are.

I'd do love though to be able to calm myself and let myself move on from the ridiculousness of the Christian Reich. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking about this a lot too right now. 

"Tolerance!" everyone says. But tolerating oppression isn't okay. 

THEY are the ones hating and oppressing. We're speaking up and saying it's not okay. Sure, it's okay for them to believe how they want, worship how they want, live how they want. That's fine. We draw the line when they tell OTHER people how to live, how to believe, how to act, how to worship. That's not okay. 

It's a very clear line. We don't oppress people for living and believing any way they want. Knock yourself out, it's fine.

We draw the line when their beliefs are imposed on others. When you boo a soldier, that's not okay. When you try to prevent a gay couple from getting married, but it's okay for you to have get married to the person (of the opposite sex) that you love, it's not okay. When you try to prevent a women from getting the right, recommended care from her doctor by imposing weird political impositions that have nothing to do with her health, that's not okay. When you try to prevent other people from voting by imposing restrictions (voter ID and such) that's not okay. 

I'm all for live and let live, total tolerance of an individual's beliefs and life style. But I will NOT tolerate oppression of others. Ever. 

• Like 7

"The Only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". -  Edmund Burke

I would love nothing more than to let these wackos have their cooky beliefs and never think twice about them.  But they are actively trying to destroy my life and my friends lives through their hate.  I do not hate them; you do not need to hate someone to fight them, or mock them...

"The Only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". -  Edmund Burke

I would love nothing more than to let these wackos have their cooky beliefs and never think twice about them.  But they are activily trying to destroy my life and my friends lives through their hate.  I do not hate them; you do not need to hate someone to fight them, or mock them...

While I agree with you I am seeing a method to this thread.

You are all saying you have been what I guess is perscuted by christians? I am not saying otherwise, I am questioning how has this happened to you?

I am actually very curious in what various ways you feel that these "cooky" people are destroying your life? I do not debate that they are in fact trying to destroy it while actually belieiving they are helping you. I just want to know what cooky things they have done.

I do really agree. I have never met more hateful people and racist, sexists, classist, ist ist ist. Christians man wow. Why is it the people that cry hardest for moral character (something by the way I do not think exists as there morals are always subjective and therefore not applicable as a real guideline. It is all about the ethics) are generally the ones with the worst moral character????? wtf.

Christians are just trying to do damage control and trying to silence criticism under the guise of tying to get people not to hate.

If they tell you to stop doing something, it probably means you are doing the right thing.

Maybe point out to them that Jesus and Paul and Peter spent a lot of time calling out and disparaging false teachers, they didn't simply ignore them.

• Like 2

The fundies have always been ignorant, arrogant and condescending. It is not until they got into the media that the rest of you had to deal with it

On both sides of this issue there are a thousand  to one  decent silent  human beings for every one loud venom spewing idiot.  That is not excusing the manner in which the Christian  Evangelicals and Fundie act publicly. The interesting thing is that the bible warns against nearly every aspect of what they are doing.. 

And almost every single one of us could care less what a fantasy novel said about how you should act.

I know exactly how I should act. I don't need a lie and fantasy to do it for me.

The point you are trying to make here is pretty specific but still just your opinion. I know plenty of silent people who are still venomous idiots they are just to lazy to speak up thankfully.

you are making a claim you cannot defend here at least state it as your opinion.

I would love nothing more than to let these wackos have their cooky beliefs and never think twice about them.  But they are activily trying to destroy my life and my friends lives through their hate.  I do not hate them; you do not need to hate someone to fight them, or mock them...

You are all saying you have been what I guess is perscuted by christians? I am not saying otherwise, I am questioning how has this happened to you?

I am actually very curious in what various ways you feel that these "cooky" people are destroying your life? I do not debate that they are in fact trying to destroy it while actually belieiving they are helping you. I just want to know what cooky things they have done.

I do really agree. I have never met more hateful people and racist, sexists, classist, ist ist ist. Christians man wow. Why is it the people that cry hardest for moral character (something by the way I do not think exists as there morals are always subjective and therefore not applicable as a real guideline. It is all about the ethics) are generally the ones with the worst moral character????? wtf.

I wouldn't say I have been persecuted by christians, I would call it abuse.  I consider it abuse because I was a child and they lied and they invented stories and they instilled terror and fear into a child's mind.  But that is not really why I speak up as an adult.  That was the past, and as fucked up as I think it all was, there is nothing I can do about it now.

However, christians are not isolated to private schools and churches.  They are trying to legislate their view of the bible into American life and I will not sit by and watch them attempt this.  They want the 10 commandments in courthouses and schools.  They want prayer in school.  They want creationism taught and evolution thrown out.  They want to deny people the right to marry whom they choose.  In the recent past they were not only largely behind the opposition to the Civil Rights movement, but also the driving force behind the prohibition of alcohol.  

Because of my childhood, I know first hand the dangers of this type of thinking, and what it does to creativity and inquisitiveness.  I do not want this life back in any way whatsoever, and I will do what I can to prevent these religious wackos from forcing their beliefs down my throat or anyone else who does not freely wish to live that way.

I also feel that, because this is the 21st century, we non believers have a sort of obligation to point out the ridiculousness of carrying bronze age beliefs around and basing a modern society on it in any way.

"2nd- while there are nice religious people, they are swept under the rug and are replaced by a majority of hateful asshats who believe that their religious POV IS the correct POV to live one's life. "

I actually see this as a good sign. Maybe it won't die in my lifetime, but this is the sign of a movement gasping for air but destined to suffocate.

There were always bat-shit-crazy Christians, but that element has become more the norm in conservative Protestant groups. Even the nice people believe the noisy crazy ones and follow their politics. They have to make noise to stay alive, to keep people from leaving, yet people leave. Meanwhile, the liberal denominations are trying ever harder to remain "relevant", but they continue to decline in number. Christianity may never go away, just as even paganism never fully died out, but maybe 100 years from now there really won't be enough of them left to worry about.

"2nd- while there are nice religious people, they are swept under the rug and are replaced by a majority of hateful asshats who believe that their religious POV IS the correct POV to live one's life. "

I actually see this as a good sign. Maybe it won't die in my lifetime, but this is the sign of a movement gasping for air but destined to suffocate.

There were always bat-shit-crazy Christians, but that element has become more the norm in conservative Protestant groups. Even the nice people believe the noisy crazy ones and follow their politics. They have to make noise to stay alive, to keep people from leaving, yet people leave. Meanwhile, the liberal denominations are trying ever harder to remain "relevant", but they continue to decline in number. Christianity may never go away, just as even paganism never fully died out, but maybe 100 years from now there really won't be enough of them left to worry about.

I agree. But the fact remains that for now in the US were it is "majority rule" they are still in the majority. You guys are the dissidents. The ones trying distroy a way of life they have enjoyed for over 230 years They may be crazy ,but they are not stupid. You want it you will have to fight for it 

I wouldn't say I have been persecuted by christians, I would call it abuse.  I consider it abuse because I was a child and they lied and they invented stories and they instilled terror and fear into a child's mind.  But that is not really why I speak up as an adult.  That was the past, and as fucked up as I think it all was, there is nothing I can do about it now.

However, christians are not isolated to private schools and churches.  They are trying to legislate their view of the bible into American life and I will not sit by and watch them attempt this.  They want the 10 commandments in courthouses and schools.  They want prayer in school.  They want creationism taught and evolution thrown out.  They want to deny people the right to marry whom they choose.  In the recent past they were not only largely behind the opposition to the Civil Rights movement, but also the driving force behind the prohibition of alcohol.  

Because of my childhood, I know first hand the dangers of this type of thinking, and what it does to creativity and inquisitiveness.  I do not want this life back in any way whatsoever, and I will do what I can to prevent these religious wackos from forcing their beliefs down my throat or anyone else who does not freely wish to live that way.

I also feel that, because this is the 21st century, we non believers have a sort of obligation to point out the ridiculousness of carrying bronze age beliefs around and basing a modern society on it in any way.

I agree. We have to start someplace moving past the adolescence of religion and step into a more modern time finally as a race. It won't happen over night but I would bet money any amount that our world is either destroyed or saved in the next 100 years and in that time religion will disappear except to a few crazy assholes living off alone and totally shunned by the rest of the world.

If this happens we have a chance at a future. There is not future with religion of any kind. Does make you wonder why 21st century people would still buy into stuff that was started 6000 years and more before we were here. It is on its way it just isn gonna be a tough road to finish the race.

I agree. But the fact remains that for now in the US were it is "majority rule" they are still in the majority. You guys are the dissidents. The ones trying distroy a way of life they have enjoyed for over 230 years They may be crazy ,but they are not stupid. You want it you will have to fight for it 

Majority rule? The consitution and seperation of church and state are suppose to protect us from the majority when they all are indeed batshit crazy. you can make any claim you want and others may back you. I won't. I say that Americans are slowly but surely losing the religious delugion. Just becuase they minority claim otherwise and cry loud as hell means nothing. In the end reason will prevail or we will end our race.

I actually wonder if in 1000 years they will still say the earth is 6000 years old.

• Like 2

I actually wonder if in 1000 years they will still say the earth is 6000 years old.

If they do then reason has failed and chances are the "church" won out and has forced people to do their bidding. I really hope that my future relatives do not have to live in a world like that.

Thought this exchange was relevant and massively  face palm worthy

when pointed out that shaming,bullying,disowning LGBT kids caused depression and suicide to increase among this group and ex-gay therapy contributed to these problems here was the Christian response

So what do you propose to do, make it illegal for the world's 2 billion Christians to think homosexual behavior is sinful and immoral? It is ridiculous to think a difference of opinion is 'shaming and abusing' someone. Is a liberal Democrat 'shaming and abusing' a conservative Republican because he disagrees with him?

• Like 1

Thought this exchange was relevant and massively  face palm worthy

Caitlin Ryan's Family Acceptance Project

Quote:

research shows that LGBT youths "who experience high levels of rejection from their families during adolescence (when compared with those young people who experienced little or no rejection from parents and caregivers) were more than eight times likely to have attempted suicide,

it seems treating the source of their depression would be far more effective than giving them a placebo

i'll agree to ex-gay therapy being offered as a choice when it has proven to be effective at treating depression and suicide of LGBT kids which so far has only increased these problems.

its like giving a cancer patient faith healing instead of chemotherapy .

The problem with this therapy is it convinces the patient they are sick when they are not. Patients then as a result suffer depression because they feel hopeless.

lets just say ill agree to it when you agree that shaming and abusing someone who has autism will "cure" them

So what do you propose to do, make it illegal for the world's 2 billion Christians to think homosexual behavior is sinful and immoral? It is ridiculous to think a difference of opinion is 'shaming and abusing' someone. Is a liberal Democrat 'shaming and abusing' a conservative Republican because he disagrees with him?

You know if they have done something shameful then why should they expect different? I could care less what creed, religion, or politics you follow if you deserve to get called out you deserve it.

Make it illegal? I won't even respond to that level of retard. where is this from?

I post a lot of crap to Facebook and encounter many advocates of conservative religious bigotry. EVery now and then I get someone who is playing their 'opinon' card--that is, "everyone is entitled to their opinon," when what they mean is that THEIR opinon is the only one that matters. I grew up in the last century, 1960s. (gawd I feel old!) and those who advocated for segregations and discrimination of minorities were from many churches, even demeaning women to be a slave to their husbands and not to express their opinons unless it also was that of their husband. Religion plays its part in teaching hatred from the pulpit. This also goes waaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the 1600s in North America teaching slaves to obey their masters so that as slavery grew generation after generation would become accustomed to being a slave, fewer revolts would result, and good christian people (whites) could live in safety in the Promised Land™ god gave them. The Christian church continues to preach this crap today but instead calls it our patriotic duty to obey those in Congress (Republican of course, our masters) because they know what is best for us because god let them win an election. We are taught over generations to be good slaves for the system, work our nowhere jobs for poverty wages so that we can be closer to god with our suffering. Amen. Well, bullshit. Christianity is the religion of stupid. And the top of the Christian food-chain is just as stupid but with more money to influence elections not just in our country but foreign countries as well. Opinons of hatred and bigotry should be countered by those of acceptance and tolerance. Even if you are not a writer or public speaker, speak out and write and post against those who are bigots and racists. It may help others understand that their bigotry has no place in our society and religion is best kept at home.

• Like 2

that is a very candid and frank piece of work Heretic.    Well said. 

It is one thing to go after the Christians with words; however, the line is crossed when disagreement turns to violence and enters the realm of personal attacks. That is when we are entering the realm the hate, but as with everything in life the line is not always clear. Arguing that you feel somebody is wrong or making a flawed argument is not an expression of hate. Yes everybody has a right to their opinion, but one better be able to back it up; especially, if the opinion presented as the "Truth" with a capital t.

It is one thing to go after the Christians with words; however, the line is crossed when disagreement turns to violence and enters the realm of personal attacks. That is when we are entering the realm the hate, but as with everything in life the line is not always clear. Arguing that you feel somebody is wrong or making a flawed argument is not an expression of hate. Yes everybody has a right to their opinion, but one better be able to back it up; especially, if the opinion presented as the "Truth" with a capital t.

The line you are talking about is clearly defined in my mind. If you commit violent acts you went wrong period. It is only when we change our culture to a culture of reason and logic first tempered with emotion that we will truly excel. We very much live in a culture of strong violence and aggresion. I am not talking about Americans or anyone specifically I am referrering to humans.

Now one can say oh it is just "nature" but I don't buy it as we no longer have public out in the street execution in most countries, slavery is no longer really an issue in the world (it is but that is another conversation) and we have changed compared to our 10000 year old ancestors. We can keep changing and should. We should never just accept that the time we live in should dicate anything. We as a race must take control over ourselves and learn to use the thing that has evolved the most in the last 10000's of years, OUR BRAIN. The key is to find ways to teach people to seek knowledge and teach themselves out of joy and not obligation.

Something I learned the hard way growing up: bullies don't go away if you ignore them, they just get worse.  The only thing that cures them is fighting back, and to do so effectively.  

Oh, and bullies don't like it when you do that.  They tend to resort to name-calling...