Goodbye Jesus

Offended By Xian Radio Program On Haitian Adoption

amateur

I was listening to a xian radio program a couple mornings ago about adoption, and how xians should be adopting children.  Ok so far.  The person being interviewed had adopted a child from Haiti and talked about how it had taken him and his wife two and a half years to get the adoption finalized, lots and lots of paperwork and red tape.  But then, the 2010 Haitian earthquake occurred, and THAT, according to the man, is finally what got through the red tape and finished the paperwork and they were able to bring the child home.  At that point, I was still ok with the story.  But THEN he said, "So that's how god works!  He literally moved the heavens and earth so we could bring our child home!"  He and the hosts did some of that smug laughing and the hosts seemed to agree that the earthquake was sent by god so that this adoption could be finalized.  I listened a couple more minutes to hear if anybody would say, "No, the earthquake was a tragedy but thank god we were able to get our child."  Nope, not a word.  At that point, I turned off the radio and am still close to speechless at the coldness and smugness of those people.

So . . . millions of people affected by the earthquake . . . tens of thousands killed by the earthquake . . . many more injured, families and homes and business destroyed . . . BUT this nice xian family got their child.  Thank you, god, you work in mysterious ways!  Wendytwitch.gif

• Like 5

Yuch. I've noticed many times before the element of HUGE ego in these self-proclaimed "humble" Christians. But that's a particularly clueless and disgusting example. "God not only moved heaven and earth for me, but he killed 100,000 people for my benefit."

• Like 2

I was listening to a xian radio program a couple mornings ago about adoption, and how xians should be adopting children.  Ok so far.  The person being interviewed had adopted a child from Haiti and talked about how it had taken him and his wife two and a half years to get the adoption finalized, lots and lots of paperwork and red tape.  But then, the 2010 Haitian earthquake occurred, and THAT, according to the man, is finally what got through the red tape and finished the paperwork and they were able to bring the child home.  At that point, I was still ok with the story.  But THEN he said, "So that's how god works!  He literally moved the heavens and earth so we could bring our child home!"  He and the hosts did some of that smug laughing and the hosts seemed to agree that the earthquake was sent by god so that this adoption could be finalized.  I listened a couple more minutes to hear if anybody would say, "No, the earthquake was a tragedy but thank god we were able to get our child."  Nope, not a word.  At that point, I turned off the radio and am still close to speechless at the coldness and smugness of those people.

So . . . millions of people affected by the earthquake . . . tens of thousands killed by the earthquake . . . many more injured, families and homes and business destroyed . . . BUT this nice xian family got their child.  Thank you, god, you work in mysterious ways!  Wendytwitch.gif

The earthquake knocked over a bookcase instantly killing Uncle Bob but at the same time revealing my lost car keys that I had absent mindely placed on the highest shelf. God is great!

• Like 3

Many theists use their religion to promote their own ego, to self-medicate their fears and/or to project their own suffering upon others, among many other things.  Here, in your example, you have identified a theist who (i) claims a natural event (an earthquake) was specifically ordered to happen by the theist's imaginary sky fairy and (ii) claims the purpose of the earthquake was to allow the theist to complete the adoption of a child (which was started before the earthquake).  I conclude this particular theist is using his/her religion to promote their own ego. The inherent selfishness of the claim is obvious, and quite pathetic.  The "atta-boy" from the radio announcer is gravy.

The host probably just tunes these idiots out anymore.  You just can't see him checking the internet over the radio.

"Uh-huh.  Earthquake.  Uh-huh. <oh, look at those titties>  Alright.  God *is* good.  Amen.  We'll be right back."

mwc

mwc:  Ha ha!  And probably true!

I just can't stop thinking about what the parent said, and the way it was said you know he had said it many times and it was a part of his story of adopting the child, and as that child grows up, the child will hear his dad tell it.  At some age, this kid is going to realize that that earthquake killed his own biological countrymen, and his dad chuckles smugly over it.  That level of ego is truly revolting.

This post caught my attention because I just finished reading the book The Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption. The first chapter is mostly about Haiti and the Christians who thought they were above the law when trying to take "orphans"* out of the country outside the proper channels.

I recommend the book to be able to see the twisted thinking of some Christians regarding adoption, especially international adoption. It's disgusting.

Well, god does work in mysterious ways - like killing a bunch of people to help one get adopted. Praise the lard.

I wish fundamentalist Christians would  Wendystop.gif adopting babies!   Between myself and the other adoptees I know by acquaintance who were adopted into fundamentalist families (knew these people by acquaintance by attending the same church), all of us had serious, serious problems.  Severe depression, desire for suicide, aching at least to practice our own culture and beliefs but never being able to do so (or for those of us adopted from infancy or toddlers, not knowing how to practice our own beliefs and culture), wanting "to go home".   It's heartbreaking. 

rach:  how truly truly tragic.

dona:  I'll have to find that book.  I remember reading in the newspaper about xians who tried to take I think 21 kids out of Haiti after the earthquake and they all weren't even orphans.

rach:  how truly truly tragic.

dona:  I'll have to find that book.  I remember reading in the newspaper about xians who tried to take I think 21 kids out of Haiti after the earthquake and they all weren't even orphans.

They tend to define "orphan" in very loose terms. Many of these christians may have good intentions but since it is an intrinsic part of their doctrine to increase their numbers (I mean, "save" more people), it is difficul to separate their desire to simply expand their families from the goal of soul-winning and gaining stature in church. Children are the perfect subjects of indoctrination, and some parents have found a way to " rescue" one child after another very cheaply with the help of their church communities. I feel very sorry for those who have come from a bad situation only to be amongst religious nuts.

Here's an interview with the author of the book

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/16/177350912/how-evangelical-christians-are-preaching-the-new-gospel-of-adoption

• Like 1

Read the interview and an excerpt from the book.  How creepy.