Campus Christian Proselytizers

NyxPeregrine

Being civil goes a long way in getting your message across, I think...it's the difference between coming away with "omg all atheists are so meeeannn" and "wow, atheists can be nice and have some decent points." Image, yo.

VERY nice. Thank you for posting this.

I like to engage in the debate or questions too. My answers are very well thought out, and they can't say anything to blindside me either.

I'm glad you participated, and I'm glad you shared the conversation with us. Thanks!

Q: "If you could ask god one question, what would it be?"

A: "Why he lets 17 children under the age of 5 die every minute."

Q: (She's writing down all my answers): "Every...?"

A: "Minute. Yeah."

Every. Minute.

It's exchanges exactly like this that convince me that the average pushy-type Christian doesn't really have that much information about how the world actually functions. This force-field of strange naivete shelters them from basic facts of science and history or just plain statistics that would otherwise make their God a self-refuting proposition. It just brings up all sorts of questions for me: do they have the facts, but choose not to see how they are relevant? Do they know the facts exist out there somewhere, and avoid them because they're afraid it is planted by the devil? Or is it simple ignorance? I just don't know, but I wish I understood it better...

• Like 4

Once when I was in a class at church we were told to go out and give these surveys.  It was plainly stated that the object here wasn't to collect data, but to get people talking about Jesus and ultimately convert people.

It sounds like the people doing the survey here felt awkward about proselytizing, and simply wanted to treat the survey as data collection instead.

Good job, NyxPeregrine.  I like especially your answer to the question, what do you think of the Bible?

Like Bhim, I remember being asked to go out and use this sort of questionnaire as a tool to opening up a conversation about the gospel.  For me it was during an InterVarsity retreat or leadership conference or whatever it was billed as.  I remember one student, in answer perhaps to the question about purpose of life, said that God gives us our bodies so we can experience sexual pleasure.  Maybe she was trying to pick me up... I just went with the script, though.  

Fantastic!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I loathe to admit that I have campus "missionaries" in my extended family. I find the idea abhorrent, that they go and prey on the questioning, vulnerable, forming minds of young people that are away from their parents, friends and social supports for the first time in their lives. It makes me cringe.

• Like 2

Every. Minute.

It's exchanges exactly like this that convince me that the average pushy-type Christian doesn't really have that much information about how the world actually functions. This force-field of strange naivete shelters them from basic facts of science and history or just plain statistics that would otherwise make their God a self-refuting proposition. It just brings up all sorts of questions for me: do they have the facts, but choose not to see how they are relevant? Do they know the facts exist out there somewhere, and avoid them because they're afraid it is planted by the devil? Or is it simple ignorance? I just don't know, but I wish I understood it better...

They start with the idea that the Bible is true and build their world view around that.  Everything else must be bent and warped to fit the core principle.  Then faith is used as a mortar to plug all the holes by ignoring them.

• Like 7

I really wish they'd tried to argue with me or something...I don't get to do this type of thing nearly often enough!

BTW NyxPeregrine - does your handle mean Night Pilgrim or something close to that?  cheers, F

Ooh, Latin scholar eh? It does indeed. "Night traveller" or "night wanderer" is how I translate it.

ExGBooster said:"It just brings up all sorts of questions for me: do they have the facts, but choose not to see how they are relevant? Do they know the facts exist out there somewhere, and avoid them because

they're afraid it is planted by the devil? Or is it simple ignorance?"

YES.

I was totally on fire for God during my college years. I wasn't a big evangelizer, but my discipler would take me our evanglizing. If we saw a lone student minding his own business reading on a bench, we'd hone right in on him. We learned all kinds of techniques so as not to startle him and get him to open up. Usually we'd have a table set up with tracts and we'd pass out literature to anyone who gave us the slightest glance. The only people who ever came to our group were socially awkward types with a religious background.

• Like 1

I was totally on fire for God during my college years. I wasn't a big evangelizer, but my discipler would take me our evanglizing. If we saw a lone student minding his own business reading on a bench, we'd hone right in on him. We learned all kinds of techniques so as not to startle him and get him to open up. Usually we'd have a table set up with tracts and we'd pass out literature to anyone who gave us the slightest glance. The only people who ever came to our group were socially awkward types with a religious background.

Oh gawd, Chik--you had me howling!! Oh the memories!!!! We were insane.

Every. Minute.

They start with the idea that the Bible is true and build their world view around that.  Everything else must be bent and warped to fit the core principle.  Then faith is used as a mortar to plug all the holes by ignoring them.

ExGBooster said:"It just brings up all sorts of questions for me: do they have the facts, but choose not to see how they are relevant? Do they know the facts exist out there somewhere, and avoid them because

they're afraid it is planted by the devil? Or is it simple ignorance?"

YES.

... Yet, it answers so many questions... Wendybanghead.gif  That kind of cognitive dissonance has got to be a lot of strain on the system...

I wish some would come to my college. Though it's small and private, so probably not.

Edit: Oh. They're students. But it still might be fun.

You were nicer than I would have been...I would have been completely smart-ass MUCH worse than I am on here...LOL. 

I don't believe that is even possible.

• Like 1

I really wish they'd tried to argue with me or something...I don't get to do this type of thing nearly often enough!

BTW NyxPeregrine - does your handle mean Night Pilgrim or something close to that?  cheers, F

Ooh, Latin scholar eh? It does indeed. "Night traveller" or "night wanderer" is how I translate it.

See.  I saw Nyx and thought this. 

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Nyx

Then when I actually looked it up.  I got something more like Night Falcon or Night Hawk.  Which triggered this thought.

http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Nighthawk

Stupid EVEonline. 

Nighthawk? Whoa, I don't think there's ANY translation of this name that isn't incredibly cool.

I wouldn't exactly call it a translation.  Peregrine is also the name of a falcon.   So I....created a meaning from it that worked for me.  Glad you like it ;)