Goodbye Jesus

Set Aside At Least An Hour For This

TheRedneckProfessor

Paragraphs much?

I really want to read your testimony but reading text without small paragraphs with spaces in between gives me a headache. It is also very long, which is fine but most people won't have the time or patience to read that much in one go (two separate posts maybe). It is totally up to you what you do, i just wanted you to know that you will get a better response with a different format. Still, welcome!

Wow ! Thank you for posting your story. I  must say that your journey has left me with a much better understanding of  the depth of bondage one can be in without knowing it. It helps me to possibly see why my sibling is in so deep along with the struggles that they ( sibling) are experiencing. Your story gives me hope that someday they will see what you have seen.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Wow ! Thank you for posting your story. I  must say that your journey has left me with a much better understanding of  the depth of bondage one can be in without knowing it. It helps me to possibly see why my sibling is in so deep along with the struggles that they ( sibling) are experiencing. Your story gives me hope that someday they will see what you have seen.

You are more than welcome, Rain, and I am glad I could be of help to you.

TRP, thank you so much for taking the time to write out this whole story which helps me in more ways than you'll ever know! Very well worth the read for me!! Welcome to Ex-c!!

I hope you will stay here at EX-c and share more with us. You're story should be made into a book. You are a brilliant writer. If you reprinted this with paragraphs that do make it easier to read, I think you would have a best seller on your hands. Many doubters of religion would love this information. That was a fascinating story. The testimonies of others is what helps keep me going!! I thank you again.

Sincerely,

Margee

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

TRP, thank you so much for taking the time to write out this whole story which helps me in more ways than you'll ever know! Very well worth the read for me!! Welcome to Ex-c!!

I hope you will stay here at EX-c and share more with us. You're story should be made into a book. You are a brilliant writer. If you reprinted this with paragraphs that do make it easier to read, I think you would have a best seller on your hands. Many doubters of religion would love this information. That was a fascinating story. The testimonies of others is what helps keep me going!! I thank you again.

Sincerely,

Margee

Margee, you are most sincerely welcome. I spent the better part of a month committing this narrative to paper and I will admit that I wrote it more for the purging of my own demons than anything else, though I am also grateful that my words may help others. I do plan to spend more time on this forum, and based on some of your posts and replies I've read, I think we will get on smashingly.

For the record, I originally composed this story using Word and it had paragraphs and proper formatting. Somehow during the copy and paste process, the paragraphs disappeared, for which I am frustrated. 

• Like 2

Wow, very nice writing!

So, they actually straight-up teach classes in fleecing the flock? *facepalm* It's worse than I thought...

• Super Moderator

Welcome, RP!

Thank you for taking the time to share your story here. I read the whole thing and really enjoyed it. 

Your prayer to be a good writer was granted-by your own will and work. A very interesting and well

written story. I hope you stay with us. Your insight will be appreciated. bill

Didn't have time to read the whole thing, but i skimmed and enjoyed what I did read. Especially the last part. Welcome!

• Super Moderator

Didn't have time to read the whole thing, but i skimmed and enjoyed what I did read. Especially the last part. Welcome!

Take your time with it, BendyLine.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome to Ex-C.  I enjoyed reading your story and could relate to much of it -- even in somewhat humorous ways (your plaid shirts = my itchy, poufy, crinoline-lined church dresses.  Oh how I hated them!).   Wendytwitch.gif   Thanks for joining us and sharing your story.

ETA:  

P.S.  I've had the same thing happen when composing docs in Word then pasting them here and to other places too.  Weird.   Your story is well worth the read - despite the formatting problems!

• Like 1

Wow.  I just read the whole thing in one sitting.  That surprised me - I normally have trouble reading from the screen for such a length of time.  But you tell your story so beautifully that I was compelled to keep reading.  We have had quite different experiences, but, as with all deconversion testimonies, I relate very much to what you say.  I am glad that you have managed to break free from the mindtrap of Christianity, and I am glad that you have found our little community here.  Welcome.  You're among friends.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Wow.  I just read the whole thing in one sitting.  That surprised me - I normally have trouble reading from the screen for such a length of time.  But you tell your story so beautifully that I was compelled to keep reading.  We have had quite different experiences, but, as with all deconversion testimonies, I relate very much to what you say.  I am glad that you have managed to break free from the mindtrap of Christianity, and I am glad that you have found our little community here.  Welcome.  You're among friends.

Perhaps I threw in just enough of the UK slang I learned in Northern Ireland to keep you interested? Thank you very much for your kind response and your welcoming me into this community of fine upstanding citizens.

Welcome aboard. From here on out, you get to decide what to place your stock in, and what you don't as far as values are concerned. You get to define spirituality for yourself, if you feel that's something you wish to continue with. 

For what it's worth, i'm glad you're out of religion and the toxic and highly manipulative environment it creates. And i'm sorry to see that it's essentially destroyed what would have been some damn good relationships you had. I've had some relationships from my church hopping days of yore that probably would have been decent ones, but they succumbed to their demise along with what little faith i had left by the time i called it quits. Leave it to religion to ruin everything.

• Super Moderator

Welcome aboard. From here on out, you get to decide what to place your stock in, and what you don't as far as values are concerned. You get to define spirituality for yourself, if you feel that's something you wish to continue with. 

For what it's worth, i'm glad you're out of religion and the toxic and highly manipulative environment it creates. And i'm sorry to see that it's essentially destroyed what would have been some damn good relationships you had. I've had some relationships from my church hopping days of yore that probably would have been decent ones, but they succumbed to their demise along with what little faith i had left by the time i called it quits. Leave it to religion to ruin everything.

Thanks, milesaway; I am very glad to be in this forum. As to the relationships destroyed by religion: 1) two destructive personality types can very rarely have a constructive relationship, and 2) the relationships I've had in the 10 years since I left religion have been far more beneficial that any of the ones I had previous. Therefore, I wouldn't be too sorry if I were you. "Leave it to religion to ruin everything." I like that.

Thanks, milesaway; I am very glad to be in this forum. As to the relationships destroyed by religion: 1) two destructive personality types can very rarely have a constructive relationship, and 2) the relationships I've had in the 10 years since I left religion have been far more beneficial that any of the ones I had previous. Therefore, I wouldn't be too sorry if I were you. "Leave it to religion to ruin everything." I like that.

Then i'd say it was a good thing those relationships didn't survive. I'm glad to see you've now got healthy relationships in your life since leaving the insanity of religion behind. I'd say i've got some good relationships in my own life, and now that religion isn't a part of the picture, it saves more room for the good ones.

I guess it's easier to have imaginary frenemies from ancient folklore than it is to have real ones. Maybe that's why our post-religious relationships are more meaningful, since we don't have to put some fictional entity above everyone and everything else.

• Super Moderator

Then i'd say it was a good thing those relationships didn't survive. I'm glad to see you've now got healthy relationships in your life since leaving the insanity of religion behind. I'd say i've got some good relationships in my own life, and now that religion isn't a part of the picture, it saves more room for the good ones.

I guess it's easier to have imaginary frenemies from ancient folklore than it is to have real ones. Maybe that's why our post-religious relationships are more meaningful, since we don't have to put some fictional entity above everyone and everything else.

That said, though, I do regret my first marriage having failed due to religion, and for having put my first wife through what I put her through. We've made our peace with each other, but it was still an unnecessarily destroyed relationship.  I really should have given her a name, as I did with the other characters in my narrative. I should have called her "Tenacious" or something more spiritual, like "long-suffering". No, I should have named her "Proverbs 31" or "I Corinthians 13". Anyway, enough rambling for now.

I read every word and enjoyed it immensely. There is just something about southern writers that are like no others. Maybe it is the extremes in southern culture. There is extreme patriotism, yet contrasted by the very region who had the audacity to attempt to break away from the union. There is extreme religiosity, yet those who dare to break away even from that. There is more racial diversity than any other region, yet even in that there is tension. It just seems to be the place where writers have so much to say. You seem to be one of those southern writers. I consider that to be a great compliment.

If I may do so, I would like to comment on the main characters of your narrative. There was Polite, Fearful, and Wisdom. I am sure that they represent real people who had important impacts on your life. However, I cannot help but think they also represent your various transitions. Polite helped you to realize that maybe God really did not need you in Northern Ireland, thus causing you to begin doubting your "god-given" mission. Fearful helped you to come to terms with the fear of missing out on that mission. Finally, Wisdom helped you to see that maybe there was no connection between the Christian religion and true understanding of what is important in this life. That seems like a good transition to me, at least I hope it was for you.

Congratulations on breaking free from the trap that is Christianity.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I read every word and enjoyed it immensely. There is just something about southern writers that are like no others. Maybe it is the extremes in southern culture. There is extreme patriotism, yet contrasted by the very region who had the audacity to attempt to break away from the union. There is extreme religiosity, yet those who dare to break away even from that. There is more racial diversity than any other region, yet even in that there is tension. It just seems to be the place where writers have so much to say. You seem to be one of those southern writers. I consider that to be a great compliment.

If I may do so, I would like to comment on the main characters of your narrative. There was Polite, Fearful, and Wisdom. I am sure that they represent real people who had important impacts on your life. However, I cannot help but think they also represent your various transitions. Polite helped you to realize that maybe God really did not need you in Northern Ireland, thus causing you to begin doubting your "god-given" mission. Fearful helped you to come to terms with the fear of missing out on that mission. Finally, Wisdom helped you to see that maybe there was no connection between the Christian religion and true understanding of what is important in this life. That seems like a good transition to me, at least I hope it was for you.

Congratulations on breaking free from the trap that is Christianity.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

I ain't jest a Suth'ner, ma'am; I's also a fahm beau. The truth in your description of my beloved homeland almost brings a tear to my eye, but we Southern Gentlemen are not partial to crying. It is our extremes that make us Southerners who we are--we strongly meek, piously proud, honest liars.

I like your interpretation of the names of the characters in my narrative; and, though I had never thought of them in that way, you are actually dead right, at least about Polite and Wise. Fearful, I think, just made me realize that if there is a hell, then my personal hell would be spending eternity with her and since she was bound for heaven, then it was only logical to conclude that heaven and hell were the same place. There's a nice Southern paradox for you!

• 1 month later...
  • Super Moderator

Sorry everyone, I only just now realized I could edit this document.  Now it has the paragraphs with which I had originally written it.  Hopefully, it will be clearer and more readable.

Wow. Just... WOW!

Your struggle to find God's plan for you totally resonated with me. That also caused me so much angst, second-guessing, sleepless prayer nights, self-doubt, guilt, wasted time and energy, feelings of abandonment by my god who loves me so much, wondering if maybe I'm not as special and anointed as I thought, emotional torment, depression ... the works.

You also gave me a few nuggets that I just have to highlight, and thank you for saying it so beautifully:

"With godlings, mere rejection is never enough; it has to be enhanced and flavored with a bouquet of judgment, a heavy note of condemnation, and a nice finish of self-righteousness, like any fine wine distilled from water by the miraculous hand of our Lord and Savior."

So... I shouldn't feel so bad and singled-out, since this is obviously a universal treatment. I'm sickly glad that I'm not the only one.

"An all-loving, all-knowing, all-powerful God is challenged to prove Himself to a weary, broken soul in the hour of darkest need, and He doesn’t even show up.  How awe-inspiring!"

Thank you for sharing this painful insight. Wrestling with this realization was definitely my darkest hour. Once I hit the rock bottom with this, I finally snapped out of it and realized god is simply not real. Oh the relief! Oh what joy and freedom!

A thousand "welcomes" and "thank yous" to you. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your story. I could relate personally to quite a bit of it... the personal relationships and influence, the gradual blossoming of the skeptical, scientific mind.

Thank you, hope to hear more from you.