Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Funeral -- What Kind Of Funeral Do You Want?

R. S. Martin

Body will be given for organ transplant first than for research or medical training. Any "service" is up to the living.

• Like 2

I think I just fell in love with Roger Bucklesby!!!

This thread is making me wish I could die a dozen times and try each of these memorials!  Taxidermied and having my killer-bra skeleton in a bar are great ideas!  I'm still sticking with no viewing, no service.  It's in my Will and in my Five Wishes:  "DIRECT CREMATION" which is I die, they can harvest any organs they want to re-use, then I get cremated and returned to my kids.  You can also choose "Direct Burial," which also foregoes any type of funeral/service.

Honestly, my kids can do whatever they want with my ashes, including flushing them down the toilet.  None of that will mean anything to me after I'm dead.  'Cause I'll be D-E-A-D.

• Like 1

No service of any kind. I doubt there would be anyone alive at the time who would care, either.

Yeah, that's the way I was talking to the president of the local humanist group. He was helping me set up my papers. And you know what he said? He said they might like to knew when I go or if I'm in the hospital or something happens to me. So I'm listing the group as someone to be notified. Maybe there's someone like that who cares about you and is more interested in you than you realize. I think those of us here might like to know. Okay, who knows if exC will still be around but let's say it is and us old-timers are still on it. Just an idea. There would be the complication of getting translating real names into screen names for publication on here but I think that could be managed.

Thanks R.S.  I know there are people who care now. If I choked on a piece of food and died, my boss would investigate if I didn't show up the next work day.  My parents care.  I was thinking 30 or 40 years into the future. Of course no one knows, but I have every reason to believe I could live a long time.  Perhaps things would be so different then with the computer technology there would be a way to notify everyone here, assuming there is an ExC. Anyway, if anyone asks to be notified, like they did with you, I would give them my information - but I don't know who would be around to notify them.

I honestly don't really care what my funeral would be since I have no reason to believe I'll even exist when I die. My corpse could be eaten by vultures or something and it wouldn't make any difference to me. Of course, if I could exist as a ghost or something after death, I would be curious to find out what other people planned for me.

I like the natural cemetery idea where you are NOT buried in a coffin. I do NOT want to be buried in a coffin. :shudders:  The fireworks idea sounds fun, too!! 

I guess, ultimately, though, it is left up to the survivors since I'd be dead. But, ugh, coffins. 

I honestly don't really care what my funeral would be since I have no reason to believe I'll even exist when I die. My corpse could be eaten by vultures or something and it wouldn't make any difference to me. Of course, if I could exist as a ghost or something after death, I would be curious to find out what other people planned for me.

Hah crazyguy you would love Tibetan sky burial. In Tibet your flesh is cut off and fed to vultures! Yep, there are expert dismemberers who do this job. It amazes me to think of people in a culture who do this routinely. 

Hah crazyguy you would love Tibetan sky burial. In Tibet your flesh is cut off and fed to vultures! Yep, there are expert dismemberers who do this job. It amazes me to think of people in a culture who do this routinely. 

Not to be disrespectful, but when I was young and living with my parents, we used to slaughter pork and beef each winter for the year's supply of meat. What you describe for the Tibetan sky burial is exactly how we cut meat from the bones to grind up for sausages. So I can visualize the cutting the meat from the bones very well. I've done it. But not from human bodies...Not sure what my point is...Maybe I'm having a hard time accepting that humans really do see this as an appropriate way to care for their dead. Yet when I really think about it, I don't know how that is so different from donating one's organs or letting medical science use one's body for whatever purpose. When we're dead we won't know.

Here is an amazing article.

As for me? Either cremate my big ass and toss those remains into winds that were so lived riding and sailing with, or if carcass is acceptable cut me up to train healers.

The Ultimate End-of-Life Plan How one woman fought the medical establishment and avoided what most Americans fear: prolonged, plugged-in suffering

My mother died shortly before her 85th birthday, in a quiet hospital room in Connecticut. One of my brothers was down the hall, calling me in California to say, too late, that it was time to jump on a plane. We were not a perfect family. She did not die a perfect death. But she died a "good-enough" death, thanks to choices she made earlier that seemed brutal at the time.

She slept in her own bed until the night before she died. She was lucid and conscious to the end. She avoided what most fear and many ultimately suffer: dying mute, unconscious and "plugged into machines" in intensive care; or feeling the electric jolt of a cardiac defibrillator during a futile cardiopulmonary resuscitation; or dying demented in a nursing home. She died well because she was willing to die too soon rather than too late.

..snipped

Not to be disrespectful, but when I was young and living with my parents, we used to slaughter pork and beef each winter for the year's supply of meat. What you describe for the Tibetan sky burial is exactly how we cut meat from the bones to grind up for sausages. So I can visualize the cutting the meat from the bones very well. I've done it. But not from human bodies...Not sure what my point is...Maybe I'm having a hard time accepting that humans really do see this as an appropriate way to care for their dead. Yet when I really think about it, I don't know how that is so different from donating one's organs or letting medical science use one's body for whatever purpose. When we're dead we won't know.

Its mostly due to the fact that there is not any way a person could be buried in the rocky, frozen mountains of Tibet, no wood available for cremation either. If there were forests around, they would probably do cremation. Also, of course Buddhists in Tibet have a different idea of death than our western culture.