Goodbye Jesus

I Am Very Worried Now Again. Fear Of Hell. (Rant)

AzariaC7

The bible is a collection of writings by delusional schizophrenic men, who thought "God" talked to them, and it has been edited and re-edited for centuries, only to to be handed down in churches as "THE INFALLIBLE WORD OF GAWWWD!"  Thats one of my main contentions with the whole religion.  A bunch of kooky primitive goat-herders from the Bronze age passed dwon stories to their children and grandchildren.... by oral tradition (a lot of embellishing going on over the generations) EVENTUALLY, it gets written down by zealous religious fanatics, and we are supposed to take it ON FAITH, that it is "THE INFALLIBLE WORD OF GAWWD!"

As a student of many other religions, its very sketchy.  What about the Koran?  The Bahagavad Gita?  All the other ancient holy books?  Oh yeah, they are the product of delusional primitives who had very little understadning of how the real world works.  And your grandma doesn;t know jack shit either, she is just re-hashing the doctrine of fear that she has brainwashed with hersefl, her whole life.  Its not her fault, she is just deluded too.  Next time she or anyone tries to scare you with "HELL", just realize they are deluded, and simply telling you what someone lese told them... even the Muslims beleive in hell, and yet they have very little else in common with Christian theology.  All religion is just a bunch of Myths, passed down for generations of brainwashing.

Let it go, the bible and the entire christian religion is a bunch of man-made gobbly goook.

pawn @ Thank you! And yeah, I've heard the Muslims believe in a Hell, too. And that kind of Hell, sheeesh... O_o 

bornagainatheist @ Thank you again! :] All of you are such a delight. 

I'm just still a bit scared. Whenever I hear the word "eternity", it just creeps me out and I sweat really fast. I know that sounds gross but yeah... It just creeps me out. I'm such a scaredy cat.

pawn @ Thank you! And yeah, I've heard the Muslims believe in a Hell, too. And that kind of Hell, sheeesh... O_o 

bornagainatheist @ Thank you again! :] All of you are such a delight. 

I'm just still a bit scared. Whenever I hear the word "eternity", it just creeps me out and I sweat really fast. I know that sounds gross but yeah... It just creeps me out. I'm such a scaredy cat.

The atoms that make up your body have already experienced thirteen billion years without you existing.  It did not harm you at all.  You didn't mind.  You didn't even notice.  

I was thinking of my own death the other day.  It's natural.  It will be a release from all the stress and worry.  I'm going to enjoy the time I have here but death isn't something to be feared.

Sorry if my post was a bit belligerent. I am new here, and a very fresh deconvert. So I guess I am still a bit in the "anger" phase. It's my way of distancing myself from my former belief system.

I feel like an idiot for ever believing the bible in the first place. Now that I have accepted the truth of its fictional origins... I feel a need to rail against it. I'll try to be more PC in my posts, maybe.... :P

pawn @ What are you apologizing for? You didn't need to apologize. + The sheesh part? Lol, I was saying that about the Muslim hell. I heard it's a LOT worse than the Christian hell. 

Yeah, pawn, not a thing in the world to apologize about.  Just let it all hang out! That is what this site is for. Really.

Christianity is a disaster, but it you are an idiot, so am I and many others here.  We all believed it once. But it does get better, I promise.

Yeah, pawn, not a thing in the world to apologize about.  Just let it all hang out! That is what this site is for. Really.

Christianity is a disaster, but it you are an idiot, so am I and many others here.  We all believed it once. But it does get better, I promise.

Ok, cool, I wasn't sure yet what was acceptable or not on this forum.  I really like it so far. zDuivel7.gif

pawn @ What are you apologizing for? You didn't need to apologize. + The sheesh part? Lol, I was saying that about the Muslim hell. I heard it's a LOT worse than the Christian hell. 

Actually, since I suspected (given that it's taken from the same cultural source of the Bible, but written after cultural ideas of hellfire and whatnot had entered the belief system) that Hell in Islam is basically the same, I did a little research, and... it looks like it IS basically the same, with one, very important difference from Christian Hell, that arguably makes Islamic Hell a lot nicer. Finite duration in Hell. That's right, Islamic Hell works fundamentally like purgatory. No eternal suffering, just various durations. That makes their version of God an awful lot nicer, actually, if you think about it: ultimately nobody has to stay forever in Hell, in Islam.

Ok, cool, I wasn't sure yet what was acceptable or not on this forum.  I really like it so far. zDuivel7.gif

Well you could have been a bit more tactful about a certain grandmother but essentially you are right about Christianity and what it does to people.  Christianity is voluntary slavery.  Con artists use emotional hooks like the fear of hell to trick people into becoming his (or occasionally her) slave and "tithe" a portion of income for years or even life.  We are former slaves who are trying to help new people struggling to get out of the slavery.  Anger is to be expected but it passes when you get it out of your system.  These days I only feel angry when a pastor/priest molested children or when Christians are doing real harm such as persecuting gays.

Well you could have been a bit more tactful about a certain grandmother but essentially you are right about Christianity and what it does to people.  Christianity is voluntary slavery.  Con artists use emotional hooks like the fear of hell to trick people into becoming his (or occasionally her) slave and "tithe" a portion of income for years or even life.  We are former slaves who are trying to help new people struggling to get out of the slavery.  Anger is to be expected but it passes when you get it out of your system.  These days I only feel angry when a pastor/priest molested children or when Christians are doing real harm such as persecuting gays.

I just don't like it when some Christians use the threat of an eternal, everlasting Hell to people they don't like such as unbelievers, gays, and people from other religions. Why do they need to scare the crap out of others? I don't want to serve a God who would burn people forever and I don't want to be around those who do harm and use threats of eternal hells. 

I just don't like it when some Christians use the threat of an eternal, everlasting Hell to people they don't like such as unbelievers, gays, and people from other religions. Why do they need to scare the crap out of others? I don't want to serve a God who would burn people forever and I don't want to be around those who do harm and use threats of eternal hells. 

One would actually need to believe these things for it to scare them.

None of my gay friends are in fear of their sexual orientation and most are atheist. In fact I doubt most of the groups you list here give a crap what christians think about them when they are NOT trying to oppress them in reverse. To bad they mostly are trying to oppress them all the time.

you can just skip the idea of serving a god like this since there is no one there to serve and it is all fantasy.

Please I would suggest you do as you say here and do not be around people like that at least until you are more secure in your deconversion. It might be a less stressful time for you if you can pull that off.

I don't like people threatening others in this way and preying on them either but I am happy they cannot do it to me and will try and talk with those that are reverse persecuted by christians and let them know they are totally ok and it is those people stuck on ancient throwback that are in error.

You have probably heard a scary story when you where a kid. Ya know simple scary story telling. Or talking about ghosts and such.

Ya know its just a fairytale however you do feel scared.

And maybe even have problems sleeping that night.

However after a while you doubt about it not being an absolute fairytale go away and so does the fear.

Im sure you can think about an experiance in your life like this.. if not there's probably a scary movie you saw ones and had trouble sleeping.

In this sense the bible can be compared to a horror movie. It is fiction, however it scares the crap out of you.

Why? because there is doubt that says it might be real.

Did you ever fear Santa? I did. "if your bad he will take you away to the north-pole". (btw i consider telling your kids this child-abuse!)

Now when you grow up and realize Santa is not real this fear just disappears.

Now if i would still believe in Santa, i would tell you to be good or Santa will take you away to the north-pole because i dont want him to take you away. (i might scare the crap out of you by telling you that but im really just trying to help).

The way I got over fear of hell was realizing that I could be wrong about its nonexistence, and coming to terms with that.  Maybe there IS a hell, and maybe I AM going there.  But there's not a damn thing I can do about it.  If god's really sovereign, then he'll decide who ends up there and who doesn't.

I compare it to how Yahweh hardened the Pharaoh's heart in the Old Testament.  The Pharaoh had nothing to do with it!  Same with the snake in the garden of Eden.  God sent the snake.  He knew Eve would obey the snake but he sent the snake anyway.  Same with Satan when he was testing Job.  God knew Job was going to suffer, but he still essentially sent Satan down there to do all these horrible things to Job.

God sounds kind of like an asshole, doesn't he.  Like a kid with a sandbox full of ants.  Ants he created and then commands to worship him, of all things!  And then he picks off the ants who don't worship him, one by one.  A jealous god, indeed.  Thankfully, this "god" doesn't exist.  It's a fabrication, and a very very powerful one.

Or maybe he does, and we're all going to hell.  And maybe Santa does too.  But we just have to accept that we can only be 99.9999% sure of something.  Not 100%.

Besides, even if you ARE a Christian, you will still have the fear of going to Hell for a variety of reasons:

- You sin too much.

- You doubt your faith too much.

- You, somehow, just aren't one of the "Chosen ones" (Calvinists only)

- You're going to "lose your salvation" somehow by accidentally committing the "unpardonable sin" (a term which really scared the "hell" out of me growing up, yet no one ever really explained to me)

So get over your fear of Hell.  Remember that this "fear" only exists because you were raised from "within" the fear.  You had no perspective, you didn't even know what it was like to live a life without the fear of Hell.  It wasn't in your vocabulary.

Give it time, brother.  I went through the same phase.  I had nightmares and all that good stuff for a few years.  But eventually your brain and your consciousness will rewire itself, as it was designed to do!

Excuse, me.  Sister.

I have anxiety as well. I know what's like.

I hope you get better. And as for that Pokemon/DBZ/etc thing, I've felt terror like that before when my anxiety got really bad back in May.