Goodbye Jesus

Where's The Meaning, Where's The Beef?

Guest end3

Can't seem to find meaning these days.  Stupid shit on TV.  Marking time at home, Marking time at work.  Theoretically many years before death.  What the hell, what's the meaning? 

Where's the beef? damn it.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Super Moderator

• Super Moderator

I thought so.

Then stop asking.

Wouldn't it suck if the universe randomly created beings that wanted to believe in more other than life and death and the physical world they could observe but tragically, the desire to believe in it did not trump the reality that none of it were real?

Wouldn't that suck?

cant stress this enough. TV is a brain drain get outside and enjoy life go for a hike build something enjoy the beauty and splendor of planet earth. Fuck TV

• Like 3

cant stress this enough. TV is a brain drain get outside and enjoy life go for a hike build something enjoy the beauty and splendor of planet earth. Fuck TV

Yes, but.

I've done outside, I've done inside, I have worked for others, I have worked for myself, I have served others, and have served myself, I have been more healthy, and have been less healthy.  I have been married, and now have been divorced.  I have children and have been without.  I have lived and seemingly await death.

I don't know that some other selfish woman, nor some new interest, nor some service oriented crap, or some selfish endeavor, i.e. healthnut, will suffice.  Heck, I don't even like the ending in Ecclesiastes. 

I thought so.

Then stop asking.

Seriously you are old(er) and House-like wise.  Save the me added burden of suffering. 

I know, right...it's wierd, but I read all is posts in House-voice, whether I want to or not.

Wendyshrug.gif

It's like this.

I thought so.

Then stop asking.

Seriously you are old(er) and House-like wise.  Save the me added burden of suffering. 

I know, right...it's wierd, but I read all is posts in House-voice, whether I want to or not.

Wendyshrug.gif

It's like this.

Lol, that is funny.

The meaning of life is happiness.  Be happy.

• Super Moderator

According to typical Christian indoctrination, you will find that it doesn't matter if you happen to be a slave, have no legs, lost a child, live in agony - your real and eternal life hasn't even started!!! The fun begins after you die!!!

Well, those of us who live for the only life we know we actually have seem to find contentment, fulfillment, and even happiness in the oddest places. The entire natural world is a wonder, from the smallest bacterium to the enormous celestial bodies that populate the universe. There are genuine thrills to be had by simply petting a dog or feeding a squirrel. And that's nothing compared to improving the life of another person in need, or even an animal.

Or you could take up bowling.

End ... I have found what has worked for me has been the appreciation of life's simplist things ... when one gets to a real low point ... the only way up is through that logic.

Do watch this short video. I have always found it real helpful! Hang in there End!

http://play.simpletruths.com/movie/finding-joy/

• Like 1

According to typical Christian indoctrination, you will find that it doesn't matter if you happen to be a slave, have no legs, lost a child, live in agony - your real and eternal life hasn't even started!!! The fun begins after you die!!!

Well, those of us who live for the only life we know we actually have seem to find contentment, fulfillment, and even happiness in the oddest places. The entire natural world is a wonder, from the smallest bacterium to the enormous celestial bodies that populate the universe. There are genuine thrills to be had by simply petting a dog or feeding a squirrel. And that's nothing compared to improving the life of another person in need, or even an animal.

Or you could take up bowling.

Don't forget to masturbate! :-)

• Like 3

Heck, I don't even like the ending in Ecclesiastes. 

I assume you mean everything after 12:9? That's so obviously edited in later that I still can't believe I couldn't see it before. Anyway, the rest of the book is awesome. Sure, there is no meaning, so the best we can do is to find things that are enjoyable. Or, you can take the view of Arthur Schopenhauer in "Studies in Pessimism" and spend life trying to find the path which has the least pain - which also seems to be the best we can do sometimes. 

• Like 1

help others

seriously, when all else fails find people to help and get outside of yourself... do something that makes other's lives a little more bearable. Or animals... 

Get involved in something bigger than yourself.. there's a thousand and one ways to do this. Find one that means something to you.

• Like 2

help others

seriously, when all else fails find people to help and get outside of yourself... do something that makes other's lives a little more bearable. Or animals... 

Get involved in something bigger than yourself.. there's a thousand and one ways to do this. Find one that means something to you.

I've served for years, helped elderly women, mowed grass,  It doesn't get you much other than the occasional thank you and a little personal satisfaction.  Currently I am working, i.e. "serving" to pay the portion of my eldest daughter's tuition that my wife is about to default on to the tune of 4K.while she simultaneously bitches about me not moving far enough away.  Pay your portion sweetheart and there will be plenty of money for me to move. 

But my mother suggested the same thing R. 

I guess the problem is I feel trapped in this disgusting little town with no social outlets waiting for my son to grow up so he doesn't feel like I abandoned him.  He is seven currently.

So yeah, he told me he has been waiting "all year" to go bird hunting.  He doesn't hunt, he runs around with a friend's little boys throwing rocks in the water, shooting cactus with their BB guns.  I asked her if I could take him on a non-visitation day as the other little boys couldn't go on his scheduled visitation day.  After a year of "divorce", do you think she could side on what would be fun for my son?  No, she said no, we could go on a scheduled visitation day. 

So she can't support her children's education, won't support their fun, and wanted me to build her a house instead of sending our daughter to college.  And because I DO do all of those things, I am stuck in this town subjected to her hate-filled dagger throwing self.  Meanwhile she sponges off her parents through the dysfunction of her mother who has money and gladly wants to be the mother of my children because she couldn't let her own go nor teach them responsibility.

Send me a bill for the therapy session...

Looks like it's time for you to start dating again. The meaning of life is happiness.  I hope you find a nice atheist gal who is two thirds your age.  If you do then don't give her any trouble regarding religion.  :)

The whole "what's the meaning of life" question actually makes less sense from a religious perspective than from an atheistic one when you stop and think about it for a second. Why would god even have the countless people throughout human history living in this sinful, corrupt planet when his whole plan is to bring in a new heaven/earth for the righteous later on (who knows exactly when that will be) where everything will be perfect. Unfortunately, the vast majority of us are SOL for being born in the wrong time/place to have the opportunity to accept his son yadda yadda yadda. Those of us who don't make the cut are destined for an eternity in the middle of a lake of fire (so it's not even a dry heat!). So it seems pretty fucked up that god would make us go through all of this reality and ultimately eternal torture when he could have started Plan B the second after Eve bit into the apple.

What's the meaning of life indeed.

• Like 1

help others

I've served for years, helped elderly women, mowed grass,  It doesn't get you much other than the occasional thank you and a little personal satisfaction.  Currently I am working, i.e. "serving" to pay the portion of my eldest daughter's tuition that my wife is about to default on to the tune of 4K.while she simultaneously bitches about me not moving far enough away.  Pay your portion sweetheart and there will be plenty of money for me to move. 

But my mother suggested the same thing R. 

I guess the problem is I feel trapped in this disgusting little town with no social outlets waiting for my son to grow up so he doesn't feel like I abandoned him.  He is seven currently.

So yeah, he told me he has been waiting "all year" to go bird hunting.  He doesn't hunt, he runs around with a friend's little boys throwing rocks in the water, shooting cactus with their BB guns.  I asked her if I could take him on a non-visitation day as the other little boys couldn't go on his scheduled visitation day.  After a year of "divorce", do you think she could side on what would be fun for my son?  No, she said no, we could go on a scheduled visitation day. 

So she can't support her children's education, won't support their fun, and wanted me to build her a house instead of sending our daughter to college.  And because I DO do all of those things, I am stuck in this town subjected to her hate-filled dagger throwing self.  Meanwhile she sponges off her parents through the dysfunction of her mother who has money and gladly wants to be the mother of my children because she couldn't let her own go nor teach them responsibility.

Send me a bill for the therapy session...

Is there a nearby city with more opportunity for socializing and personal enjoyment? Maybe a short commute on visitation day would be worth some personal happiness. Maybe Grandma could pay for some college while you get established in a new city. Maybe exwife could get a (better) job and help more with college if your funding was reduced.

I agree with mymistake. Time to start dating. When you have a girlfriend you have an ally. And your ally is another head to bounce ideas off and brainstorm solutions to life problems. Good luck, sir.