Goodbye Jesus

Did God Create Darkness?

hereticzero

I posed this question of FB and wanted a look at the responses I get here vs the christian response. I claimed that if god created everything then he had to have created darkness as well. And if god created all things including darkness, why didn't he declare darkness a good work? If the universe already existed when god created everything, then that means god did not create the universe and everything in it because the elements had to exist prior to god creating light, which means darkness is not really a void of nothingness.

Christians claimed god created light from darkness but god never created darkness. Creation of light exposed darkness.

How do you answer, from any point of view, 'Did god create darkness? Why or why not?

Darkness was the void that light was created in... therefore darkness, or the void, is god!

hehehehehe,,, hey, it follows

• Like 1

I posed this question of FB and wanted a look at the responses I get here vs the christian response. I claimed that if god created everything then he had to have created darkness as well. And if god created all things including darkness, why didn't he declare darkness a good work? If the universe already existed when god created everything, then that means god did not create the universe and everything in it because the elements had to exist prior to god creating light, which means darkness is not really a void of nothingness.

Christians claimed god created light from darkness but god never created darkness. Creation of light exposed darkness.

How do you answer, from any point of view, 'Did god create darkness? Why or why not?

It was fun to ask the ex-wife, "Did God create everything?"

She would say, "Oh yes."

Then I'd ask, "Did God create Satan?"

She'd go into dumbfounded mode, "uhhhhh, well, uhhhhhhhhhh."

--------

From a biblical viewpoint:

Gen 1:1 , "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

I'll go with a yes answer. :-) It would appear that prior to creating anything there was a lack of darkness. :-) Then he created heaven and earth and at that point there was darkness. If we assign a negative connotation to darkness then Christians would need to defend it by spinning the meaning of the scripture to make God look good.

• Like 1

God couldn't see in the dark: so, he created light.

Reminds me of Isaiah 45:7

I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things.

So there we have it, God creates darkness and disaster. And seems proud of it : )

Of course god created darkness.  Darkness is the absence of light which means when "in the beginning" happened it had to put out the light to start this dark biblical journey we're all supposedly on.

mwc

As a Christian, although I never thought about this at the time, I guess I would have answered yes, God created darkness.

Then I would go on to say something like...the darkness he created was no more than a painter creating a painting surface by stretching canvass across a frame. The canvass itself is neither good or bad...it is a blank starting point for what the painter is about to create, so why would the painter declare it good at that point?

Darkness was not a void of nothingness, it was a starting point God made so he could create the universe that we know today.

If there ever was a void of nothingness, God created it, because God also created utter nothingness.

"In the beginning God created..." says everything. Not even nothing exists without God. Before everything, even before nothing, God existed.

I used to debate a Christian on another forum (a small one that doesn't even exist anymore), and although we never got much into this kind of stuff, he would say that the absence of God is darkness, and evil is the absence of God. I explained that God is the creator of evil  (Enlightened points out the chapter and verse above, but in the KJV , 'disaster' is translated 'evil'). My argument was that if God didn't create evil, then he is not the only creator in the universe. The same could be said for darkness.

From a stictly scientific point of view darkness would not need to be created. In the absence of any light source, everything would simply be dark (invisible, black, void, etc). If one were to wipe out everything in existence, all would be dark again.

There's a catch with god creation, in my opinion.  If bible god created everything, the opposite of that created thing (light) would not be darkness, it would non-existent and indescribable.  In order for there to be the opposite of whatever god created, god had to create the other option.