Goodbye Jesus

Now I've Done It

LifeCycle

There are many christians I know personally that would be willing to let you die rather than help save you if you didn't believe like they did.

I heard one say not to long ago that he would let an atheist drown rather than save him if he already knew he was an atheist because god would  not want him to live.

That is not an uncommon opinion among christians. Many many do not believe that but those are not the ones to worry about...yet. Most are lost sheep following the strongest leader in their herd. If those leaders turn on reason completely who do you think is going to pay for that?

I will trust christians not to fuck us all when I see them actually accept that others have a right to their beliefs and not just a few here and there but many times many. I could care less what they believe until it tells them they have to care that I don't agree with them.

This is war on logic and reason and I for one will not be sitting on the sidelines waiting to see who wins because if the other side has its way we will all bow to fantasy.

OK well then. This Christianity you describe is foreign to me. Whatever happened to the Good Samaritan?

I understand why authors like Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris single out the USA.

There are literally thousands of comments all over facebook twitter and all social media outlets that look like this assuming you have not seen these before...

Fox%20Fans.jpg

This is not some joke. I could care less what they say in front of me or in public. If they will say it online some part of them believes they are justified at killing me for disagreeing with them.

I see christianity and almost all churches as bigotry and hate. Most ask it of their members to be included.

Not sure what you see when you see churches but I see lies and hypocrisy and people that will say the above hate to others openly. Those people are not hidden on facebook those are their actual names. I have never wished death on anyone for any reason as I am a pacifist. How can I be the man of peace and yet be so godless? Oh noes maybe they might come get me.

Holy shit that's scary.

If you live in USA these are some of our country folk.

Personally most people that have that extreme of a view in anything get laughed at. Sure are a lot of people willing to spread and slew this violent fill about under their actual names online. I would rather consume spice and worship a giant worm than side with these genocidal maniacs.

There are many christians I know personally that would be willing to let you die rather than help save you if you didn't believe like they did.

I heard one say not to long ago that he would let an atheist drown rather than save him if he already knew he was an atheist because god would  not want him to live.

That is not an uncommon opinion among christians. Many many do not believe that but those are not the ones to worry about...yet. Most are lost sheep following the strongest leader in their herd. If those leaders turn on reason completely who do you think is going to pay for that?

I will trust christians not to fuck us all when I see them actually accept that others have a right to their beliefs and not just a few here and there but many times many. I could care less what they believe until it tells them they have to care that I don't agree with them.

This is war on logic and reason and I for one will not be sitting on the sidelines waiting to see who wins because if the other side has its way we will all bow to fantasy.

OK well then. This Christianity you describe is foreign to me. Whatever happened to the Good Samaritan?

There are literally thousands of comments all over facebook twitter and all social media outlets that look like this assuming you have not seen these before...

Fox%20Fans.jpg

This is not some joke. I could care less what they say in front of me or in public. If they will say it online some part of them believes they are justified at killing me for disagreeing with them.

I see christianity and almost all churches as bigotry and hate. Most ask it of their members to be included.

Not sure what you see when you see churches but I see lies and hypocrisy and people that will say the above hate to others openly. Those people are not hidden on facebook those are their actual names. I have never wished death on anyone for any reason as I am a pacifist. How can I be the man of peace and yet be so godless? Oh noes maybe they might come get me.

Holy shit that's scary.

Personally most people that have that extreme of a view in anything get laughed at. Sure are a lot of people willing to spread and slew this violent fill about under their actual names online. I would rather consume spice and worship a giant worm than side with these genocidal maniacs.

Well, they serve a God that's going to torment people forever for their beliefs. He signed off on this treatment of others with punishment like that. They're just being God to people. :)

I like Chris Dunn.  He wants to torture people for not appreciating the torture that was done to a fictional character.  And why is it that nobody appreciates what Superman has to endure every time he is exposed to Kryptonite?

• Like 1

Fox%20Fans.jpg

Holy shit that's scary.

Well, they serve a God that's going to torment people forever for their beliefs. He signed off on this treatment of others with punishment like that. They're just being God to people. smile.png

Thankfully we live in a country that currently has laws against them trying to kill me. So if I ever get a person to say this about me directly believe me I will be calling the police and saying my life was just threatened. Maybe nothing will happen but at the least I hope they take some shit over it.

If I said that stuff about the religious that publicly I would end up in court.

As to whether it'll eventually get better, or get worse before it gets better, I keep flipping between being optimistic and pessimistic. On the minus side, the internet (and especially facebook) really has allowed Christians to band together and say "rah rah for god!", and it really makes you realize how alone you are in this society. But it comes from having been raised in this particular culture, so it isn't everybody, it's just everybody I know! The thing is, 40 years ago these people weren't all that interested in their religion. It's only been since the 80s that it has exploded. So that makes me pessimistic.

On the other hand,  young people seem to be abandoning religion in record numbers, even in the U.S., so I think there is hope. Maybe the "explosion" is simply the last gasp of the religion.

Yesterday, a young woman I've known since she was a kid (about my kids' age) had a "like" of the official Richard Dawkins Center for Reason show up in her feed. I know good and well her parents and siblings would not approve, yet she wasn't afraid for people to see this.

I've been reposting things related to planetary science and from the "Science is Awesome" facebook page (which is the non-offensively named version of "I Fucking Love Science"). So far, nobody has detected my agenda, but the bolder I get, the more likely it is to happen.

• Like 1

Fox%20Fans.jpg

Their role model is the loving God who loves all his children. :-)

• Like 1

Ugh, I feel for you LC. It's true--the fundies can post/broadcast their tripe, but we have to stfu.smileydies.gif

Sometimes I try to challenge thinking without being abrasive, but that's because I'm still largely closeted.

Fight the good fight, friend.  beer.gif

It shows immaturity and a lack of security in their own beliefs if they get offended by you posting thoughts which differ from theirs.  I think many of the ones who get the most offended and defensive are actually the ones who carry the most doubt.  By defending their beliefs they are in a sense trying to convince themselves to remain brainwashed and burry the doubt that your statement brought to the surface.

We are people of reason.  Christians have to continuously ignore reason and turn off that part of their mind.  It makes for an anxiety filled life. 

It shows immaturity and a lack of security in their own beliefs if they get offended by you posting thoughts which differ from theirs.  I think many of the ones who get the most offended and defensive are actually the ones who carry the most doubt.  By defending their beliefs they are in a sense trying to convince themselves to remain brainwashed and burry the doubt that your statement brought to the surface.

We are people of reason.  Christians have to continuously ignore reason and turn off that part of their mind.  It makes for an anxiety filled life. 

yet millions upon millions do so daily at the expense of others and themselves often. People die for it for thousands of years. When is enough enough?

SO SO SO glad i do not have that angst in my life.

• Like 1

I feel for you Lifecycle.   Been there and often am there.   I feel a bit about my Facebook postings the way I used to feel about presenting myself as a "cool" christian in the old days.   And that is very very sad I think.   I am always thinking about what I post, will it present a good image of me as an atheist? (I have "come out" to most christian friends.) Does it move someone reading it to be curious about what I believe and maybe open them to questions?   On and on.   I try to ride a fine line between being myself and not having people unfriend me, although I am sure there must be some who have.   It is a bit like I am my own marketing manager and was like trying to portray my old christian life in a way that would entice people to try my church.   

An interesting thing is that my believing wife has unfriended me from Facebook and yet we sleep in the same bed together!   The marriage seems to be actually surviving this situation.   I think at some point she realized I have a right to post what I want but it was too difficult for her to read.   

So that may be a suggestion for you Lifecycle.   Have her unfriend you for her own sake.   It actually is working out ok for us.   Although sometimes it is odd when someone brings up a Facebook post of my wife's to me.   I have to pretend I know about it.   LOL! 

Haha, that's crazy but may actually be a good alternative here. I may bring that up at dinner tonight.

I've also been considering showing her this thread. One; she might get a better understanding where I'm coming from and two; she could see that there's actually other people in the world who have stopped believing Christianity as well. I'm convinced many Christians think it's not very common and it's more common than they think.

Yes, I think Christians don't realize this, either; that's it's more common than they think (but, then, we were never "True" Christians).  I've been grilled recently (albeit gently and kind of repeatedly by a nice, friendly neighbor whom I like a lot, but it VERY Christian- raised a Jew and converted to Christianity, apparently it's a really sore subject with her family)- but, anyway, she can't seem to grasp that I truly believed it ("What were the exact words you used when you accepted Jesus in prayer? Can you say the prayer to me? Did you do it because other people told you to? Did you understand it? Have you read the Bible? Just because you don't go to church doesn't mean you're not saved"- I don't think she realizes that a "true" believer not going to church is pretty much an unbeliever).  I like her and want to be her friend, but damn! I've thought about showing her this website. 

Sorry, off on a tangent.  Let us know how the facebook thing works out.  I know some couple's aren't friends on facebook because it would drive them crazy, though, I guess that's before marriage. Most married couples I know are, but this might not be a bad idea. Plus facebook kind of sucks your time away, too, anyway.