Goodbye Jesus

What's the hell vs. heaven ratio?

Chad3232132

Just trying to figure out a rough estimate here. There are roughly 6.5 billion people on earth, and about 2 billion are allegedly Christian. Since only Christians go to heaven according to Christians, then the number going to heaven cannot possibly be higher that 30% of all people. And I'd assume a lot of that 30% maximum of people "heaven-bound" aren't really Christians in their heart and mind. By my estimates no more than 10% of all people would go the heaven according to what Christians commonly consider to be "heaven credentials."

All things considered, I'd say Satan is doing quite well according to this criteria. Getting 3/4ths minimim of the population is very impressive. Way to go Satan! :fdevil:

Well most Protestants would say that Catholics aren't heaven bound, so that deletes more than 1 billion. Most Protestants also argue that you must have prayed the sinner's prayer, repent, and then not backslide, so that deletes about another billion.

Probably only a few million at best are going to make it through the narrow gates.

Doesn't one sect belive only 144,000 getting in?

Yep! I was just about to say that. The good olde Jehovah's Witnesses (and I think some other group) believe that only 144,000 will be ushered into "heaven". (It's in the book of Revelation.)

If so, then why bother? What are the chances of being on this short list? Slim and none.

I think that's the JW's. I'm not sure what they say now, since their numbers are larger than that.

I like to ask Baptist's this question: "Protestantism has only existed for about 400 years. Before the Reformation, Catholicism was the only form of Christianity in the Western world, so are all those people thoughout history in hell?"

I think that's the JW's. I'm not sure what they say now, since their numbers are larger than that.

I like to ask Baptist's this question: "Protestantism has only existed for about 400 years. Before the Reformation, Catholicism was the only form of Christianity in the Western world, so are all those people thoughout history in hell?"

Years ago a JW told me that the 144K had already been chosen and that the rest, including himself, would be set up in the new city of Jeruselem that will be set up here on earth. I don't know if that's an accurate representation of their beliefs, but it's what he told me. :shrug:

quote]Years ago a JW told me that the 144K had already been chosen and that the rest, including himself, would be set up in the new city of Jeruselem that will be set up here on earth. I don't know if that's an accurate representation of their beliefs, but it's what he told me.

That is my understanding as well. One JW told a friend of mine that it was only his arrogance that made him want to be with Jesus. Earth will be a paradise and the 144000 will be our judges.[

144000? that's like Mega Gross, isn't it?

:funny: MQTA...

I suppose who gets into hell depends a great deal on who you talk to. (Heh heh heh, it ain't what you do, it's who you know...) I mean somebody mentioned the JW's here and the number of 144K. Then there's the OP's estimates too, but then if you're a fundiegelical it's more like only the TrueChristians™ will get in, and of course the only TrueChristians™ on the planet are the ones in your denomination, so that really narrows it down a bit... oh yeah, then of course even the ones in your denom aren't all really TrueChristians™ either, because Mr. X was once a Catholic and Mrs. Y is okay with gays even though Jesus wasn't, and so on and so on and so on and so on...

I have to wonder if deep down inside, maybe a lot of people really think that the only person who's a TrueChristian™ or TrueMuslim™ or TrueGardnerian™ or whatever fundie stripe is their own self. I mean how many arrogant smegheads are there out there that really just don't think anybody else is good enough to pass their religious muster? "They don't do it like me, so they're all going to hell, but I'm not." Or something like that.

Eh, I don't really believe in an afterlife much anyway. :shrug:

I always liked the South Park representation of heaven. A large crowd gathers around the pearly gates, St Peter stands up on a podium and says "The correct answer was Morman, do we have any Mormans in the crowd?"

One guy in a suit jumps up, "yahoo!"

"Sorry everyone else is hell bound"

As Kenny headed towards heaven he passes a sign saying "Heaven, population 1632"

A big red sign flashes saying "Rejected"

Then as he plunges to hell he passes a rapidly scrolling sign saying "Hell, population 999,000,000"

The Baptists claim that there was always a remnant of "true christians" who were hiding out from persecution. LOL!

Yep, I remember that one myself. Hey, you have to admit they have a really good shot at being correct. One of these poor people might have been so languishing over the fact the liberals stole Christmas, they were afraid to come out & SAY they were fully immersed in water when they were baptised... :eek: The baptists are really big on persecution, even if (when) they have to invent thier own!

I think one of my all time favorites of lesser known baptist doctrines is that John the Baptist & his flock were the first, but after the crucifiction they went underground. They then managed to stay underground until I believe somewhere in the vicinity of the early 1700's... this is actually a part of the "True Christian" thing. I may be a little off on this, but I think some might actually think that ONLY Baptists go to heaven; my dad never preached or believed that, but I seem to recall him saying something once upon a time about that.

well, i don't have any math stats on this, but i would think that there are way more suffering earthlings in hell than heaven, all hypothetical i may add. also, the way the xtians bicker about the authenticity of their doctrine, as opposed to other xtians. there won't be a large amount of them in there either,all hypothetical i may add.

this discourse is a very good thread indeed, but the thought of a heaven or hell where people go when they die is to big a fiction for me to continue. what if they are correct, then i could be in a pickle, all hypothetical i may add.