Goodbye Jesus

Enough with the death cult already

Guest spaceman_spiff

Guest spaceman_spiff

There are many events over the years that resulted in my leaving Christianity behind for good, and maybe I'll post a more thorough story/testimony at some time in the future. For now, I just wanted to share what I would call the final straw. I was on a jet from Philadelphia to Seattle, and I ended up sitting next to a newly retired Assembly of God minister. He insisted on striking up a conversation with me, and that conversation quickly turned to religion. He got to talking about heaven, eternity, blah blah blah, and I said that I thought many people were probably "turned off" by Christianity's emphasis on death and what happens afterwards, instead of focusing on the here and now. His response: "Only through the blood of the lamb may one enter the kingdom of god." Yuck. Not only did this nitwit not have a clue what I was talking about, he had to go and put THAT lovely visual in my head. We talked more, but that was the "meat" of it. I boarded the plane a borderline Christian, and disembarked as a non-xian. Let's hear it for the Assembly of God!

Anyway, that's been about 12 years. Over the last few years, I've realized that I just don't believe in any gods, messiahs, afterlife, ghosts, Santa Claus, etc. For whatever reason, it took me a while to admit to myself that I'm an atheist. But here I am! Christians and other theists will just have to excuse me if I go on with my life and not obsess about death.

I feel your pain Spaceman. Flying coach cross-country could already serve as perfect depiction of hell, even without the added torture of sitting next to retired christcult leader.

The “Blood of the Lamb;” I can still remember hearing those kinds of statements in Sunday school. When you are five years old you naturally envision exactly what they are saying, and it takes a lot of happy felt-board imagery to make the statement palatable. I can remember being bombarded by the message that Jesus suffered horribly and died for “me.” The message that I am a terrible person and this man saved me was drilled into me over and over again. They do it so many times that one forgets to ask why a loving and omnipotent being would require such a grizzly ritual in the first place. Try explaining that on a felt-board. :eek:

I was on a jet from Philadelphia to Seattle, and I ended up sitting next to a newly retired Assembly of God minister. He insisted on striking up a conversation with me, and that conversation quickly turned to religion. He got to talking about heaven, eternity, blah blah blah, and I said that I thought many people were probably "turned off" by Christianity's emphasis on death and what happens afterwards, instead of focusing on the here and now. His response: "Only through the blood of the lamb may one enter the kingdom of god." Yuck.........

Don't you just hate that? Christians insisting that you MUST listen to their religious drivel? And if you're adamant enough, then they accuse you of being "hard-hearted", or "deceived", or in league with "Satan". It can't POSSIBLY be that they are simply crazy.

Religious people can never comprehend that they sound NO different than the whack-job who is certain that the evil Zenons are trying to probe our brains, and that we must wear Special Tin Foil Hats for protection. In other words, how are Christians any more believable than the Hale-Bopp Comet clan? Crazy is, as crazy does!

Anyway, that's been about 12 years. Over the last few years, I've realized that I just don't believe in any gods, messiahs, afterlife, ghosts, Santa Claus, etc. For whatever reason, it took me a while to admit to myself that I'm an atheist. But here I am! Christians and other theists will just have to excuse me if I go on with my life and not obsess about death.

Almond, to that! And welcome to the forum, Spaceman Spiff!

Bumper Stickers, that's what I call 'em. I'm amazed how well it's instilled in people. The Truth isn't why it's lastest this long, it's the grip it has on people so well they don't see the fear and darksidedness.

It's all dark-sided. Gargoyles, Psychics!

LOL

Welcome to Ex-C

On a positive note, I was once spotted reading "The Bible Unearthed" on a flight, and the guy next to me started talking about it. He asked me what it was about, and we started a religious conversation. He told me he wasn't very religious, and I told him I was an atheist and gave him some highlights from the book. You could see the weight lift off his shoulders as he realized, I think possibly for the first time, that others out there had totally abandoned their delusions, and perhaps he could do the same.

It was weird on one hand, and at the same time, I was glad to see the light bulb light up for a fellow human. -hope he's doing well

Welcome to the forums. Have fun and enjoy!

I hear you Spaceman. I was embarassed to admit I was a christian. Now I find myself even more embarassed to call myself an atheist. It's not quite so embarassing as listening to christian jargon like that airbourne pastor you spoke to. I am constantly interupting my wife during a conversation, asking her to explain what certain christian jargon (henceforth known as CJ) like "slain in the spirit" actually means. Of course she knows that I *know what it means*, but as christians we never really questioned these strange phrases. Anyway, welcome and I look forward to hearing more stuff from you.

Kevin

Don't you just hate that? Christians insisting that you MUST listen to their religious drivel? And if you're adamant enough, then they accuse you of being "hard-hearted", or "deceived", or in league with "Satan".

San Francisco to Atlanta. Coach.

Them, fundy minister and his wife.

Me, tired and pissed my vacation was over.

Them, "Have you heard the Good News™?"

Me, "They're bringing back disco?"

Them, "I'm talking about Jesus Christ!"

Me, "I know what you're talking about and no, I don't want to hear about your little cult."

Them, "You're being deceived-ah by Satan!"

Me, "I don't believe in him either."

Them, "You need to get right with God-ah!!!"

Me, "I need to sleep on this flight. Can you please be quiet?"

Them, "BLAH, BLAH, JESUS BLAH, BLAH."

Me, "Excuse me, uh... Melanie? These people are crazy and harassing me. Can I move to a different seat?"

Stewardess, "I'm sorry sir, of course I'll move them."

So the stewardess moved them instead of me, and when I told her how much I appreciated it, she told me she just deconverted about a month ago and sat with me the rest of the flight just talking about what a clusterfuck Christianity is... all this within earshot of the fundies.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's so very, very sweet.

I agree, that was cool! :woohoo:

Welcome to the forum, Spaceman Spiff!

Don't you just hate that? Christians insisting that you MUST listen to their religious drivel? And if you're adamant enough, then they accuse you of being "hard-hearted", or "deceived", or in league with "Satan".

San Francisco to Atlanta. Coach.

Them, fundy minister and his wife.

Me, tired and pissed my vacation was over.

Them, "Have you heard the Good News?"

Me, "They're bringing back disco?"

Them, "I'm talking about Jesus Christ!"

Me, "I know what you're talking about and no, I don't want to hear about your little cult."

Them, "You're being deceived-ah by Satan!"

Me, "I don't believe in him either."

Them, "You need to get right with God-ah!!!"

Me, "I need to sleep on this flight. Can you please be quiet?"

Them, "BLAH, BLAH, JESUS BLAH, BLAH."

Me, "Excuse me, uh... Melanie? These people are crazy and harassing me. Can I move to a different seat?"

Stewardess, "I'm sorry sir, of course I'll move them."

So the stewardess moved them instead of me, and when I told her how much I appreciated it, she told me she just deconverted about a month ago and sat with me the rest of the flight just talking about what a clusterfuck Christianity is... all this within earshot of the fundies.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's so very, very sweet.

I love to hear stories like this; it makes me feel less alone, and that it is possible to run into others that have dumped the death cult. Of course, this forum is proof of that, but I'd love to find some others in my town.