Weird Unexplainable Stuff Is Happening

Hey guys, I've posted once here before, now I'm back.... :)

So this week has been... interesting. (Background: I deconverted nearly 2 weeks ago, I live in a different city to my parents because I'm at university, haven't told them yet.)

This week some stuff happened that was in the area of freaky spooky supernatural type stuff.

I had an exam at 9.30am on Tuesday, meant to get up at 7.30 for some last minute revision (read: cramming) and my alarm didn't go off. I was woken at 9.10 by my dad calling me because he said he'd gotten a message from me to call him. I hadn't sent anything like that.

After my exam, which I got to in the nick of time, I called him back and found out that it wasn't a text message, it was a voice message sent on 9th November. I did send him a voice message on that date, but he'd only just gotten it this morning. It's the sort of thing I would send 

Also, my parents have been sending me weirdly Biblical text messages on and off this week, and today they sent me Proverbs 3:5,6. I sent back "Thanks, but that was random" and my mum texted back "that's the verse I got for you. So did Dad, separately from me!"

It's a commonly-known verse, I know. And the last time we spoke, a few days ago, mum asked me how I was and the answer was basically that life was going shit, so knowing that might be influencing them. But it's still really weird. And unsettling.

I'm not sure what's going on and I'm freaking out a bit. Have I made the wrong choice? Am I going to have to turn my back on this newfound freedom that I have to find the truth, all over again??

I know that there is no way the Bible is true, that it's too full of contradictions and the Christian religion has too many unanswerable questions in it. But how do I explain these coincidences? I keep having stuff like this happen, that makes me think there is someone out there looking out for me and trying to guide me back to Jesus, for whatever ulterior motive. I've had it all my life, and now that I've stopped being a Christian, they're still coming. I feel like it's not just in my head.

Now I sound paranoid. I don't know. I just know that were this the case, I would still feel I had to believe or follow any being that can orchestrate this sort of thing, even if they're not very trustworthy overall (as evidenced by the Bible contradictions).

I know this is nuts, I just don't know what to replace the nuts ideas with. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences that they found an explanation for?

• Super Moderator

I can't give any definitive answers from what I have to work with, but I can certainly come up with possibilities more likely than magic. The quirks of the phone system are known, and I have sent and received delayed messages. Two religious people discussing their daughter could easily be drawn to the same well known verse in their Bible. You ask, "How do I explain these coincidences?" You just did; they are coincidences. But there's a good reason you think they are relevant.

As you probably know, the human brain seeks patterns and meaning. Having been conditioned to live in an alternate reality of gods, spirits, miracles, etc. your brain is still trying to make things fit that scenario. In a religious environment you are trained to look for and find anything that might confirm the unfounded belief. You're still doing it because brainwashing doesn't disappear overnight. In time you will start to see things as they are, not as the religious wish them to be.

Besides, why is a god bothering with phone messages to you so you can get to class on time rather than healing the sick and feeding the hungry? To this deity, is your getting to class on time more important than starving and diseased children in war torn countries? It would be a silly miracle, wouldn't it?

Now I sound paranoid. 

No, you just sound like somebody who was raised as a Christian.

I use to be attacked by demons all the time.  It caused all kinds of stress and problems.  Then I stopped believing in that sort of thing and the problem went away.  But it wasn't a choice it was a realization.

Now imagine that you have a friend who was raised in Islam and realized it was false.  This friend comes to you and says he or she is freaking out because their parent's quoted the same verse from the Qoran and a phone message was delayed.  How would you explain it to them through science?

Coincidences. :)

I think I am starting to notice a pattern in how  we ex-Cs deconvert.   There seem to be at least two ways to do it when it comes to supernatural stuff.  

1) Hang on to Christianity for years, gradually letting go of beliefs, until you finally have discarded every supernatural/miracle type belief you have, then leave, no strings attached.

2)  Leave Christianity rather abruptly, still uncertain about the state or presence of the supernatural.  Struggle with seemingly supernatural happenings for many years.

3)   Leave Christianity, still believe in supernatural stuff anyway, no struggling involved.

I have no commentary other than that.  Interesting food for thought.  

• Like 1

15 years ago I started doing probability calculations on events such as those you describe. The first thing that came up was that likelihoods of such events being coincidence were astronomical. They proved highly unlikely to be coincidence. So I had to start asking, why then do these things happen?

About three years ago I started writing fictional stories about a culture that didn't take these kinds of things as "weird" or spooky or supernatural, but rather natural workings of the human mind and part of every day experience. I had to call it something, so I called it "entanglement," borrowed from the quantum phenomenon of two linked ions.

Your post isn't the place for me to write an article on entanglement, but if I can put it into a couple of sentences for you it may help.

When 2 people first fall in love, they discover that they are thinking the same things at the same time quite a lot. Entanglement.

When a young child is separated from a dedicated parent who senses what's happening right down to details, entanglement.

When a loved one living far away and out of contact dies and you suddenly sense it, this is entanglement.

These things aren't supernatural, they're natural, normal, and common. We're wired for it (some better than others - I had one subject who was off the charts). Relax and enjoy it. Your parents, though indoctrinated, love you.

• Like 1

My wife and I like to play a word game called Probe. In this game, each player uses letters on a card to spell out a word, places the cards face-down after the word has been created (the other players aren't allowed to see), then the other players have to guess for each letter and eventually guess the word.

We were playing it one day, about five years after we had been married, and in the end it turned out that we both had used the same word - "ubiquitous." Now, I had no idea she ever even heard the word or knew what it meant. In fact, I was banking on her ignorance of the word so I could beat her in the game. It was uncanny and hilarious.

But it was coincidence. A highly improbable one at that.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't read too much into things. Coincidences do happen. 

I once went halfway around the world with my boss. The first person who greeted us there turned out to be the brother of his next-door neighbor.

Another time I went halfway around the world in the opposite direction and stayed at a bed & breakfast right before the start of the high season. A German couple arrived the same day I did. Six months later, I went back to the same b&b in the off season. They were closed, but they let me stay by special arrangement. The very same day I arrived, the very same German couple showed up again and wanted to stay.

Cue Twilight Zone theme.

Yet the fact is that neither of these things meant a damn.

Another time I was lying in bed with a boyfriend and he and I both popped up at the same time with the phrase "Kerr wide-mouth Mason jars." This was completely out of the blue (believe me we were not into anything kinky involving cookware). But again ... meaningless.

And haven't we all sometimes picked up the phone to call a friend just as that friend was doing the same?

Is there some woo at work? I dunno. But was it part of christiangod's plan that all these meaningless but memorable things happen? Was he Sending Vital Messages via Mason jar or wandering Germans? That's one hell of a long shot.

My wife and I like to play a word game called Probe. In this game, each player uses letters on a card to spell out a word, places the cards face-down after the word has been created (the other players aren't allowed to see), then the other players have to guess for each letter and eventually guess the word.

We were playing it one day, about five years after we had been married, and in the end it turned out that we both had used the same word - "ubiquitous." Now, I had no idea she ever even heard the word or knew what it meant. In fact, I was banking on her ignorance of the word so I could beat her in the game. It was uncanny and hilarious.

But it was coincidence. A highly improbable one at that.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't read too much into things. Coincidences do happen.

Entanglement.

I once went halfway around the world with my boss. The first person who greeted us there turned out to be the brother of his next-door neighbot.

Another time I went halfway around the world in the opposite direction and stayed at a bed & breakfast right before the start of the high season. A German couple arrived the same day I did. Six months later, I went back to the same b&b in the off season. They were closed, but they let me stay by special arrangement. The very same day I arrived, the very same German couple showed up again and wanted to stay.

Cue Twilight Zone theme.

Yet the fact is that neither of these things meant a damn.

Another time I was lying in bed with a boyfriend and he and I both popped up at the same time with the phrase "Kerr wide-mouth Mason jars." This was completely out of the blue (believe me we where not into anything kinky involving cookware). But again ... meaningless.

And haven't we all sometimes picked up the phone to call a friend just as that friend was doing the same?

Is there some woo at work? I dunno. But was it part of christiangod's plan that all these meaningless but memorable things happen? Was he Sending Vital Messages via Mason jar or wandering Germans? That's one hell of a long shot.

Entanglement. It's universal to all, despite religious borders.

Hey guys, I've posted once here before, now I'm back.... smile.png

So this week has been... interesting. (Background: I deconverted nearly 2 weeks ago, I live in a different city to my parents because I'm at university, haven't told them yet.)

This week some stuff happened that was in the area of freaky spooky supernatural type stuff.

I had an exam at 9.30am on Tuesday, meant to get up at 7.30 for some last minute revision (read: cramming) and my alarm didn't go off. I was woken at 9.10 by my dad calling me because he said he'd gotten a message from me to call him. I hadn't sent anything like that.

After my exam, which I got to in the nick of time, I called him back and found out that it wasn't a text message, it was a voice message sent on 9th November. I did send him a voice message on that date, but he'd only just gotten it this morning. It's the sort of thing I would send 

Also, my parents have been sending me weirdly Biblical text messages on and off this week, and today they sent me Proverbs 3:5,6. I sent back "Thanks, but that was random" and my mum texted back "that's the verse I got for you. So did Dad, separately from me!"

It's a commonly-known verse, I know. And the last time we spoke, a few days ago, mum asked me how I was and the answer was basically that life was going shit, so knowing that might be influencing them. But it's still really weird. And unsettling.

I'm not sure what's going on and I'm freaking out a bit. Have I made the wrong choice? Am I going to have to turn my back on this newfound freedom that I have to find the truth, all over again??

I know that there is no way the Bible is true, that it's too full of contradictions and the Christian religion has too many unanswerable questions in it. But how do I explain these coincidences? I keep having stuff like this happen, that makes me think there is someone out there looking out for me and trying to guide me back to Jesus, for whatever ulterior motive. I've had it all my life, and now that I've stopped being a Christian, they're still coming. I feel like it's not just in my head.

Now I sound paranoid. I don't know. I just know that were this the case, I would still feel I had to believe or follow any being that can orchestrate this sort of thing, even if they're not very trustworthy overall (as evidenced by the Bible contradictions).

I know this is nuts, I just don't know what to replace the nuts ideas with. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences that they found an explanation for?

You have Sprint? I kid you not when I had Sprint sometimes a text message would simply not make it or it could take hours and even a couple times it took a day or so to finally arrive.

Regarding the supernatural, is this the best 'sign' Jesus can give you? If he's supposed to be all powerful then maybe he could do something a little more spectacular than vague coincidences, especially for someone who has lost faith in him. Does he not care about losing you (or does he not exist)? Why does he never speak with his own voice or appear to people who are so devoted to him? Why is it that he only seems to exist in the imaginations of people?

After 10 years of Christianity the best I ever got from "Jesus" was about the same thing you are experiencing. Not much really, considering the way churchies want us to read the bible and pray all the time.....so we can have the experience of a supposedly all powerful being who supposedly loves us yet is silent and absent. Rather a waste of time. :-)

Yeah, I think the Creator of the Universe - who created BILLIONS of galaxies each so vast that you're less significant than a bacteria by comparison - is taking the time to fuck with you via vague coincidences that might or might not be there... but just might be cute little mini-miracles if you squint and tilt your head just right.

I know that's what I'd do if I were a gawd who'd created unimaginable and vast wonders out of boredom. I'd find some little bacteria who can't even remotely comprehend my creation - let alone me - and gently fuck with them via hints so subtle that they just might be coincidences. Universe-weilding dieties get a kick outta that kind of thing.

• Like 2

Hi austere,

How would you know if this was just a strange coincidence vs. a supernatural event? Christians love to point at coincidences that are pretty remarkable and use them as "proof" that there is a god. However, when you consider the size of the earth (let alone the universe), the number of people on it, the vast numbers of interfering variables, and the amounts of time in an average human life (let alone the age of the earth, universe, etc.), then it really would make less sense if these coincidences DIDN'T happen. 

But let's think through your scenario here for a second. If there were an all-powerful, all-good god, are you suggesting that he would use that power through such indirect means (your father) to get you up so you could take a test while there are literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people, most of whom are Christians, right now in the Philippines without access to clean water, food, shelter, clothes, loved ones, etc.? What would that say about the priorities of such a god? Is that the kind of god that would be worthy of worship? There are thousands of other tragedies going on worldwide, I just picked the one that is getting the most attention in the news right now, but let's not forget people all around the world living in poverty, literally starving to death, being terrorized by warlords, etc.

Also, how would you know if it was the Christian god that orchestrated this event? What if Allah or Mormon Jesus or one of the Indian gods loved you enough to help you out of this jam, but you are not giving them the proper credit. I mean, don't practitioners of other religions look at similar events and ascribe them to their deities? Seems like it would be pretty simple for that god to more directly reveal themselves to you, especially considering their supposed love for you, but they are being curiously silent at the moment. Hmm....

Isn't it more likely that due to the way that you've been raised to interpret any such coincidences through a particular lens that just confirms what you already believed? This is not unique to you or to Christians. All humans have this tendency because it is just not easy to remain skeptical all the time, especially when you are not used to it. It requires a lot of discipline. But you are not alone.

• Like 1

Curious, who said that you can't be a Christian and be free?   Nobody has all the answers (Christians and non-Christians alike).   God really does move.  I went through TONS of doubt when I was young.  Read my book (free at Smashwords.com) called "iDoubt: When Faith Falters."    Why not be a Christian who is free and isn't afraid to raise questions?   Don't give up on the hope that is within you. 

No atheist claims to have all the answers. They simply claim to recognize some of the bad ones. If god really does move, I find it quite interesting that he only seems to do so through improbable-yet-natural, unverifiable means when he could reveal himself in any number of undeniable ways. When a cancer goes into remission suddenly, it must be god, and yet I have never seen god heal an amputee. Hmm...

• Super Moderator
Curious, who said that you can't be a Christian and be free?

I do. The serious, faithful and honest Christian must by definition of his faith believe what he is taught by his religious doctrine and not what he sees and experiences for himself, for all else is a trick or the Evil One. He must reject any evidence or fact that runs counter to what his Bible says, or what he's been told it says. He must abdicate responsibility for himself and attribute all good things to his god and all bad things to his devil. Rather than admit he wants to take a questionable course of action, he must claim he was led by the Lord.

This is free?

Btw, did The Lord not tell you that soul winning is confined to the Lions Den, and not in Ex-C life? E-message must have been late. Another miracle!!

• Like 2

Curious, who said that you can't be a Christian and be free?   Nobody has all the answers (Christians and non-Christians alike).   God really does move.  I went through TONS of doubt when I was young.  Read my book (free at Smashwords.com) called "iDoubt: When Faith Falters."    Why not be a Christian who is free and isn't afraid to raise questions?   Don't give up on the hope that is within you. 

Curious - why are you here? I mean in this forum for ex-christians? You really think we're interested in reading your book when we just had an entire thread with you in which you blatantly displayed your incompetence? If you believe that, then you are a man of faith.

• Like 3

Jesus, for starters.

If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

Sounds like servitude to me.

• Like 1

I do. The serious, faithful and honest Christian must by definition of his faith believe what he is taught by his religious doctrine and not what he sees and experiences for himself, for all else is a trick or the Evil One. He must reject any evidence or fact that runs counter to what his Bible says, or what he's been told it says. He must abdicate responsibility for himself and attribute all good things to his god and all bad things to his devil. Rather than admit he wants to take a questionable course of action, he must claim he was led by the Lord.

This is free?

Well, he must attribute all good things to god and all bad things to himself due to his sinful nature, you know, the nature that god created him with. 

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a free Christian. Religion is slavery.

• Super Moderator

Austere, psychologists have observed that the human brain has the ability to recognize patterns that are not, in reality, patterns.  Our brains can also fail to recognize patterns that are, in fact, patterns.  christian indoctrination, to which you were subjected during the formative years of your life, is masterful at manipulating this faulty pattern recognition mechanism, causing otherwise sincere people to see demons lurking in the bushes and virgins burnt into their morning toast.  It seems to me like you might just be experiencing a light-duty pattern recognition glitch.  Hit the reset button and go on about your business.  god is not speaking to you; he's got better things to do, which I can prove by showing you my jesus shaped potato chip collection.  Besides, the weekend is coming up and unless something has changed since my college days, you need to be planning out a party.

• Super Moderator

You demonstrated what a free thinker you were yesterday with your "questions".

• Like 1

sandTROLL, on 14 Nov 2013 - 12:08, said:

Haven't you promoted your book enough by now?  This place is a refuge for all the people who left your religion and for the most part we found doing so to be very much liberating.  We are now free of the fear, free of the brainwashing, free of the guilt trips, free of being told how to live our lives.

I will tell you why I choose to leave Christianity.  It was because of the way pastors and tele-evangelists used tragic events for their own gain. 

If you are going to assert that God really does move then provide some objective evidence.  If you don't cough up some objective evidence than I call bullshit on you.

• Like 1
  • Super Moderator

Do you guys see what's happening here?  Another honest man is being honest about the difficulties he is having in disentangling himself from his former religion and a "christian" is high-jacking the entire thread to promote his own selfish interests.  Preying upon weakness, zeroing in on fears, manipulating through guilt, all while proclaiming the "freedom" of christ: these are the tactics christians are reduced to using because they know they cannot appeal to intellect, reason, or objectivity.  Sandiego4me, I call you a hypocrite, a manipulator, and a disingenuous, dishonest, disrespectful little child who prattles on endlessly about himself and his imaginary friend, even while people in deep emotional distress are reaching out for sincere and honest support.

• Like 3

I don't get it. Where's the 'weird supernatural' stuff? Those were just coincidences, easily explainable. Even if they weren't easily explainable, why think that God is responsible? 

1. Phone glitches are very common.

2. Your parents both go to church. They both probably heard that verse at their last church service and (independently) thought it would apply to you.