Goodbye Jesus

Pug’s "Toronto Holy Laughter Church"

scotter

I found some information pertaining to Pug’s church that people would submerge in laughter

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/tbless.html

Reading from the URL: "...The "Toronto Blessing" is a movement that finds its roots in the Charismatic Movement which, in turn, emerges from Pentecostalism", once you mentioned "charismatic Pentecostal", that should be it.

Pug since I am not even involved with Christian churches, who am I to tell you which is a decent church and which is a cult?

However your experience and path of converting from Chinese folk belief to an emotional evangelical Christian sect may not be a commendable one. Even as ex-Christians, some of us would prefer that you go to mainstream classical ones like Anglican, Baptist, Presbyterian...

It is your path to walk.

I thought that whole Toronto holy laughter thing had died off by now. :shrug:

I found some information pertaining to Pug’s church that people would submerge in laughter

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/tbless.html

Reading from the URL: "...The "Toronto Blessing" is a movement that finds its roots in the Charismatic Movement which, in turn, emerges from Pentecostalism", once you mentioned "charismatic Pentecostal", that should be it.

Pug since I am not even involved with Christian churches, who am I to tell you which is a decent church and which is a cult?

However your experience and path of converting from Chinese folk belief to an emotional evangelical Christian sect may not be a commendable one. Even as ex-Christians, some of us would prefer that you go to mainstream classical ones like Anglican, Baptist, Presbyterian...

It is your path to walk.

Hey Scotter,

Thanks for the advice. I do understand your concern. My church do not make any fuss about the slaying in spirit or screaming-crying or laughter episodes. If somebody falls, we catch them, cover them with a blanket until they get up on their own. No dramas.

I've witnessed exorcism of spirits too ~ they get all stiff ~ then relax once the spirit leaves. Again no dramas.

Sometimes i also attend a Calvary Church as well ~ no fainting here ~ but they speak in tongues tho. The main denominations in Malaysia: Roman Catholic and Protestent (Baptist, Methodist, Assemblies of God, Lutheran) - i have not seen any Orthodox (very few Anglican or Presbyterian) churches but Jehovah's Witness is alive and kicking here too!!!

Yeah i know about the Toronto thang. And i know there are many denominations with differing beliefs ~ and i'll just stop here...

Scotter, you should find out about the Korean Christians too!!! When they pray they scream, bang tables and shout ... for hours! Very, very dramatic.

They are really all cults, but some do more harm than others.

They are really all cults, but some do more harm than others.

So TRUE!

What irritates me more than anything with that movement is that it is totally unbiblical and I say it like that to show to Christians. Paul says not to act like that IN THE CHURCH, yet they do it anyway, just more picking and choosing. Not surprising, they ignore jesus, jewish god and paul but somehow claim biblegod is "the" god anyway.

I was going to say that, Serenity so I'm glad you said it for me. It is completely unbiblical and I'd like to know how they justify it.

I was going to say that, Serenity so I'm glad you said it for me. It is completely unbiblical and I'd like to know how they justify it.

Me too. I'm sure though that they have their "excuses" but Cornithians does not leave wiggle room.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something really "big". I've never spoken in tongues, nor been slain in the spirit or any other charismatic stuff.

My faith has always been personal and quiet and I think the most I've ever done is raise one hand while singing..............and only for a moment.

According to them I am probably not saved.

You aren't missing out on anything Sophia, except making a big ass of yourself!

The thing is....I know that in my heart but you can't convince them of that.

Thanks, SN.

Madame M, while what you say may be true, I think this "Charismania" has more to do with physical "proof" for these people. Since they can't perform miracles of healing or anything else, they cling to speaking in tongues and other strange behaviors.

In my church, you weren't considered a Fully Submitted, filled with the Holy Ghooost Christian UNLESS you spake in tongues. The "evidence" of speaking in tongues, they called it. Never mind Fruit of the Spirit, or swallowing poison and surviving, just babble like a fool and take a nap on the carpet. Surely THAT will "prove" to any nay-sayers that you are "saved"!

Retarded.

I wonder how many people just completly fake babling like an idiot because of peer pressure? Hell, maybe ALL of it is brought about by peer pressure and wanting to belong even if to outsiders you look like an idiot. Peer pressure and the need to belong can be powerful motivators to a persons actions and behaviors.