Goodbye Jesus

Yes, No, And Wait

DrNo

One of the logical fallacies that bothers me the most is the idea that god answers every prayer with a yes, no, or wait a while. These outcomes would happen for ANY situation where you wanted something to happen. Either what you want will happen, it won't, or it might happen later.

My kids still get exposed to this faulty logic regularly because their mom is still a believer. Just the other day I heard Max Lucado teaching kids about Yes, No, or Wait in one of the Hermie DVDs my kids watch. I thought about telling them that this was not true, but I want to teach critical thinking skills, not indoctrinate them. I was inspired by Dale McGowan's story about how he taught his kids to think critically about Santa without directly confronting them. So with this in mind I think I will try to get in the habit of telling the kids to make a wish at night and then follow up with them later. They will begin to see that sometimes their wishes come true, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they happen later. Just like prayer.

I've heard that one from Max Lucado. He's a total moron, but his voice makes him sound very wise, so people fall for his crap teachings.

Yes, no, or wait 2000+ years.  Keep waiting.  Have faith.  Keep waiting.  It's god's time, not our time.  Keep waiting.  A thousand years is like a day to god, so keep waiting.  You have to get right with god.  Keep waiting.

Good for you for injecting some reality in your kids' lives!

• Like 1

I used to pray obsessively for healing from autism.  I believed it was going to happen 'any day now', any day now became any month now, then any year now, then any decade now, and so on.  I am told by Christians that I just have to wait, until I'm dead, then I'll be cured "in the new earth"

Say that yes, no and wait was true, you have 1(yes) out of 3 chances to get a positive answer and 2 (no and wait) out of 3 to get a negative answer. Wait is still a negative because it's not a yes and because it resets the all the odds.