Goodbye Jesus

Is It Easier For A Woman To Love Jesus?

chrisstavrous

When it comes to loving jesus I have always wondered if women find it easier to love jesus.

Was never easy for me. God the father was a meany, but God the son always seemed like a colorless, ineffectual wimp who never did anything but walk around saying prissy shit. (Okay, routing the moneylenders from the temple was okay. But that isn't anything that would appeal to women more than men.) Even when I was a kid, those sappy pix of Jesus holding baby lambs or knocking on doors holding a lantern never meant anything to me.

I suppose there are women who have sentimental fixations on the baby Jesus or even romantic fixations on the adult Jesus. But ... ugh. That doesn't even bear thinking about.

• Super Moderator

Damn, this would have been a good thread for JordanRiver.

• Like 1

I loved him pretty heavy when I was a believer.  I think the Jesus character is fairly asexual, so he is just as easily a religious love object for anyone regardless of sex.  He's just a really well done symbol of divinity.  Like Buddha for example.

I heard that the old timey Christians thought women were more spiritual because they had an additional orifice for the spirit to get in ...>.> also made them more susceptible to the devil's influence! Sorry this is not on topic. :P

I heard that the old timey Christians thought women were more spiritual because they had an additional orifice for the spirit to get in ...>.> also made them more susceptible to the devil's influence! Sorry this is not on topic. tongue.png

I actually think you're on to something. Many of us, by today's standards, would see this as misogynistic and yes, old-timey. You cannot talk about the influence of Jesus on women and how susceptible or "weaker" they are to the devil and the "sins of the flesh" without addressing misconstrued ideas of womanhood. 

I just think that, because women are viewed as more sentimentally involved than men are, it makes the "God is a father to the fatherless, He'll never leave you, never forsake you..." narrative more impressionable amongst women as well as other notable groups.  

When it comes to loving jesus I have always wondered if women find it easier to love jesus.

Well we all have the brain we were born with so we can only guess about what it's like to live in somebody else's body.  But yes as a Christian it was weird whenever somebody mentioned that we become the bride of Christ and Jesus was our husband.  I would always tell myself that it was a metaphor.  But reading C.S. Lewis was kind of creepy because he would sometimes take the idea farther.  Like God is so male that we are all female in comparison.  Just weird.

I just tossed on that huge pile of cognitive dissonance that I carried around.

• Like 1

Gonna put a bumper sticker on my TRUCK that says "Real Men love Jesus" and ask  MerryG if I can take her for a spin

• Like 1

Was never easy for me. God the father was a meany, but God the son always seemed like a colorless, ineffectual wimp who never did anything but walk around saying prissy shit. (Okay, routing the moneylenders from the temple was okay. But that isn't anything that would appeal to women more than men.) Even when I was a kid, those sappy pix of Jesus holding baby lambs or knocking on doors holding a lantern never meant anything to me.

I suppose there are women who have sentimental fixations on the baby Jesus or even romantic fixations on the adult Jesus. But ... ugh. That doesn't even bear thinking about.

Hi Merry, I think part of what you notice is the way Jesus is presented in evangelical Protestantism.  In Catholicism and Orthodoxy, he tends to occupy a more revered, even dread position, while Mary and the saints hold more the "friend" part of piety.  I like the mosaic of Christ Pantocrator (= Ruler of everything) in Cefalu in Sicily (the photo is mislabelled):

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=676&q=christ+pantocrator+cefalu&oq=christ+pantocrator+cefalu&gs_l=img.12..0.2928.8024.0.9472.25.10.0.15.15.0.127.1007.2j8.10.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..1.24.987.JhOUTUIqQDA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=qwSlJKg_685M0M%3A%3BuDKGJtiikiB1lM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.davidscottwritings.com%252Fchrist-pantocrator-palermo528x395.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.davidscottwritings.com%252FGenesistoJesusIndex.html%3B429%3B331

The disciples seemed to dig him.

We were just discussing this in the post "Jesus Calms a Storm -- WTF?."

The modern church does seem to be pretty feminine and geared towards women.  The imagery in lots of modern xian songs would seemingly turn off lots of men:  "let me fall on my knees before you."  If I were a straight male, I'd be backing off from that shit.  Even as a woman, it's weirdly erotic in a way it can't be meant to be.

Maybe women have more imaginary friends than men?

Maybe men enjoy blowing things up, rather than making imaginary friends?

Maybe men would rather go and DO SOMETHING on Sunday morning, as opposed to standing in a church pew and waving their arms in the air?

I think pawn made a good point:  the actual supposed character of Jesus was portrayed as very asexual and above such things.  I think admiring the Jesus character would be similar to admiring the Superman character or any other superhero.

I always wondered how guys felt about loving Jesus.

It's such a gay thing to do if you look at it objectively. Not that I had a problem with gay people, but the men in my life certainly did, which definitely felt a bit dissonant to me.

I mean, come on. You would follow this man to the ends of the earth, give up your life for him and he for you, have great deep and intimate emotional and spiritual experiences that were between only he and you, you spend time together every day, and nobody knows you like he does. He makes you want to be a better person, to be like HIM.

Whew. That is very homoerotically charged. Don't even tell me it's not. Even as a Christian, I found it unusual that straight guys would be so deeply committed to God in a way that I had always been taught to think of as semi-romantic (bride of Christ, anyone?), and of course I could never go, "Hey Dad, does it feel gay when you love Jesus?" Ha ha :) I'll give voice to the random shit everyone else is thinking but won't say, but asking my dad if he's sexually confused about Jesus is where I draw the line. As far as I could guess, the guys coped by seeing it as more of a bromance than anything else.

I dunno. Male, female, gay, straight, or none/all of the above, it's still weird.

I've always looked at following Jesus as if someone following a teacher that was god of sorts not in a romantic way. Always creeped me out when people described it so lovey-dovey.

Okay, I'll bite. 

I noticed that there were more single women in the college / career class at my church than men. By a wide margin. I pondered this too. 

Then I started noting the demographics. The women were mostly sorta naive and sweet, a few in elementary education, a nurse, and other sort of caregiving professions. The guys (and I'm not making this up) were about 1/3 mentally challenged in some way. A few were just odd. One or two straight laced short haircut types. Mostly all would be considered pretty odd, quirky, or dorky outside of the church context. (Maybe because so many Christians got married so young, the more conventional types got married and were in another Sunday school class.)

But there were way more young single women than men. So that meant a lot of men stopped going to church. Or at least my church. (But I visited several others and noticed the same trend.)

I concluded that women growing up in Christianity are taught from such a young age to be subservient, submissive, quiet, respectful, etc. and men were taught that they ought to be strong, empowered, head of the house, leaders, role models, bread winners. So men were being given lessons on independence and strength while women were being taught to be meek and submissive pleasers. Help meets. Devalued as nothing more than a support system for a future husband. Crap like that. 

I think it takes longer to shake off the brainwashing when it's been extra oppressive, and the Christian community is patriarchal and pretty awful and backward in its view of women. 

So no, I don't think they love Jesus more. I think they are taught to defer their own thinking and have their self worth beaten down more. They're taught to be more trusting and kind and sweet and diplomatic, more family oriented. Men are taught to be strong thinkers and praised for their independence. That helps the majority of them to develop the tools they need earlier to get out faster. 

Just my thoughts on the matter. Not really a scientific study or anything. 

• Like 1

I always wondered how guys felt about loving Jesus.

It's such a gay thing to do if you look at it objectively. Not that I had a problem with gay people, but the men in my life certainly did, which definitely felt a bit dissonant to me.

I mean, come on. You would follow this man to the ends of the earth, give up your life for him and he for you, have great deep and intimate emotional and spiritual experiences that were between only he and you, you spend time together every day, and nobody knows you like he does. He makes you want to be a better person, to be like HIM.

Whew. That is very homoerotically charged. Don't even tell me it's not. Even as a Christian, I found it unusual that straight guys would be so deeply committed to God in a way that I had always been taught to think of as semi-romantic (bride of Christ, anyone?), and of course I could never go, "Hey Dad, does it feel gay when you love Jesus?" Ha ha smile.png I'll give voice to the random shit everyone else is thinking but won't say, but asking my dad if he's sexually confused about Jesus is where I draw the line. As far as I could guess, the guys coped by seeing it as more of a bromance than anything else.

I dunno. Male, female, gay, straight, or none/all of the above, it's still weird.

That is exactly what I thought about it too. It is like a one-sided relationship, because he does nothing for you and then it turns into a "threesome" when you get married since Jesus is supposed to care about your sex life too. It also never made any sense as to why you are supposed to love him unconditionally with all that evangelical devotion, yet everyone had to treat him totally asexually. I'm so glad I finally realized all of this stuff was so stupid and left.

I always wondered what guys thought about resting on Jesus's bosom in the old hymns.

• Super Moderator

I found such things vaguely embarrassing.

The downtrodden are always looking for succour. Not so apparent in the west, but women don't have it so good in a lot of places. Religion might make their lives easier, if only on a psychological and emotional basis.

Think about it... christianity in particular advises obedience, kindness, compassion, service and long-suffering. Traits highly prized in wives.

Just a thought... plus you get an outside boyfriend who is 'safe', in Jesus (being asexual, supposedly)

I dunno, but in researching this, I came across an interesting article about how churches in America are dying.

somewhere between 4,000 and 7,000 churches close their doors every year. Southern Baptist researcher, Thom Rainer, in a recent article entitled "13 Issues for Churches in 2013" puts the estimate higher. He says between 8,000 and 10,000 churches will likely close this year.

That's an encouraging statistic.

• Like 1

I've seen what Raleah has described but also a strange, almost opposite senario where the love affair with jesus is more obviously the wive's. And she uses this relationship to dominate her dumbass husband. She seems to be in charge of everything, delegating certain responsibilities such as child herding. She's usualy very close to the pastor as well. Her and jesus maybe connected at the hip but it sure don't look like one big happy family. In some cases it's probably so fucked-up at home, the poor spineless bastard loves going to a job he hates.

Just my own very unscientific study

I also wonder . . . because women are generally more passive in romantic relationships, women are generally the ones who wait to be asked out, and who wait to be called again after a date.  Men PROMISE to call again after a date, and women generally believe them.  Then if the man doesn't call, what woman has never made some excuses for the guy?  "He's really busy right now."  "Maybe he's sick."  "Maybe his parents are in town right now."  I actually had a female friend who, at age 40 -- FORTY!!! -- who, after dating a guy for a month or so, when he quit calling her, she said, "Maybe he was in an accident!"  When I pointed out that hospitals have phones and everyone has cellphones, she said, "Maybe he overturned in a ditch and NOBODY'S FOUND HIM YET!"  I tried pointing out that no way was that true (he would've been missed at work, etc), and she got MAD at me!  She actually got TEARY as she explained how the car could be overturned and he was still barely alive but unable to get out and get help.  (Spoiler alert)  He was perfectly fine.  He didn't want to go out with her any more, so had quit calling her rather than call her to break up.

So . . . there was Mr. Jesus.  And he was a wonderful man!  He said beautiful, poetic things, he never made uncomfortable sexual demands, he was there to help you out -- he provided wine from water when needed, he healed people, he fed people, he calmed storms (for really wimpy disciples/fishermen), HE WAS THERE FOR YOU and HE LOVED YOU and HE WAS PERFECT.  HE SUFFERED FOR YOU.  He said you would LIVE WITH HIM FOREVER IN HIS MANSION THAT HE MADE FOR YOU.  Then he died, but came right back and said, "I'll be back SOON FOR YOU!!!"  . . . . two thousand years go by . . . . Women make excuses for men.  Women make excuses for Jesus.  "A thousand years is but a day to Jesus."  "Jesus is coming back soon!  Prophecy is being fulfilled every day!"  "Jesus will be back because JESUS LOVES ME!!!!"    

Give it up, ladies (and gentlemen).  Jesus broke up with you.  He didn't come back because he didn't have the balls to say to your face he wanted to break up.  He was hoping after the, oh, first fifteen hundred years that you'd catch on.

Or maybe, just maybe, he was never real.  And preachers have taken emotional and financial advantage of that urge in people to trust and take someone at their word, mainly women, to make excuses when the man (Jesus) makes promises then breaks them.

• Like 2

I also wonder . . . because women are generally more passive in romantic relationships, women are generally the ones who wait to be asked out, and who wait to be called again after a date.  Men PROMISE to call again after a date, and women generally believe them.  Then if the man doesn't call, what woman has never made some excuses for the guy?  "He's really busy right now."  "Maybe he's sick."  "Maybe his parents are in town right now."  I actually had a female friend who, at age 40 -- FORTY!!! -- who, after dating a guy for a month or so, when he quit calling her, she said, "Maybe he was in an accident!"  When I pointed out that hospitals have phones and everyone has cellphones, she said, "Maybe he overturned in a ditch and NOBODY'S FOUND HIM YET!"  I tried pointing out that no way was that true (he would've been missed at work, etc), and she got MAD at me!  She actually got TEARY as she explained how the car could be overturned and he was still barely alive but unable to get out and get help.  (Spoiler alert)  He was perfectly fine.  He didn't want to go out with her any more, so had quit calling her rather than call her to break up.

So . . . there was Mr. Jesus.  And he was a wonderful man!  He said beautiful, poetic things, he never made uncomfortable sexual demands, he was there to help you out -- he provided wine from water when needed, he healed people, he fed people, he calmed storms (for really wimpy disciples/fishermen), HE WAS THERE FOR YOU and HE LOVED YOU and HE WAS PERFECT.  HE SUFFERED FOR YOU.  He said you would LIVE WITH HIM FOREVER IN HIS MANSION THAT HE MADE FOR YOU.  Then he died, but came right back and said, "I'll be back SOON FOR YOU!!!"  . . . . two thousand years go by . . . . Women make excuses for men.  Women make excuses for Jesus.  "A thousand years is but a day to Jesus."  "Jesus is coming back soon!  Prophecy is being fulfilled every day!"  "Jesus will be back because JESUS LOVES ME!!!!"    

Give it up, ladies (and gentlemen).  Jesus broke up with you.  He didn't come back because he didn't have the balls to say to your face he wanted to break up.  He was hoping after the, oh, first fifteen hundred years that you'd catch on.

Or maybe, just maybe, he was never real.  And preachers have taken emotional and financial advantage of that urge in people to trust and take someone at their word, mainly women, to make excuses when the man (Jesus) makes promises then breaks them.

Thank you for reminding me I'm not dating in High school. Too much of the waiting around. (Would it destroy the universe if I said I asked a guy out? And wasn't passive. This seems foreign to most of the the know universe.)

Hm. I also read somewhere that women are more drawn to religious things for social and biological reasons. Wish I could find where I read it though. Can't really say why.

Thank you for reminding me I'm not dating in High school. Too much of the waiting around. (Would it destroy the universe if I said I asked a guy out? And wasn't passive. This seems foreign to most of the the know universe.)

Hm. I also read somewhere that women are more drawn to religious things for social and biological reasons. Wish I could find where I read it though. Can't really say why.

Hey Ari, did he go out? I got asked out once. Thought it was pretty cool but then she let me buy all the drinks and I remember feeling kinda swindled and stupid. Had she demanded sex I would have probably just walked away[yea right]!

Y'know... even while I was in Christianity, I didn't think of God as a man. I thought of God as neither male or female. Jesus was a guy, but I didn't pray to Jesus, I prayed to God. 

And my first date back in high school... I asked him out. And actually, the second guy in high school I asked out too. And I offered to pay the whole thing both times and made sure I paid for part of it when they insisted on paying. So I wasn't very good at sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. 

I guess my personality was never a very good fit for the submissive wife role. I like being an equal partner with my husband, and he likes it too. 

Just talking in general about relationships.  When I was single, I asked bunches of guys out if they were too slow for me.  Ha ha ha!  I paid if I asked them out.

But in general, the Jesus relationship seems to match up to the "typical" relationship where the guy quits calling and the woman makes excuses.  Come on, we all know the excuses for why Jesus hasn't come back yet!  He was in an accident, of course!

• Like 1

Hey Ari, did he go out? I got asked out once. Thought it was pretty cool but then she let me buy all the drinks and I remember feeling kinda swindled and stupid. Had she demanded sex I would have probably just walked away[yea right]!

No. He flat out rejected me. To be fair he said high school relationships were pointless. We are still on good terms and I like to tease him. (As far as I know he still doesn't have a girlfriend.

Just talking in general about relationships.  When I was single, I asked bunches of guys out if they were too slow for me.  Ha ha ha!  I paid if I asked them out.

But in general, the Jesus relationship seems to match up to the "typical" relationship where the guy quits calling and the woman makes excuses.  Come on, we all know the excuses for why Jesus hasn't come back yet!  He was in an accident, of course!

Of course! He crashed his white horse getting here from heaven. :P