Goodbye Jesus

Religous

AriTheApostate

Hello! Since I don't know where to introduce myself I will go ahead and do so here.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Wow- Go me hitting the submit button before I actually wrote anything. Sorry!

I'll make my testimony brief.

Earlier in the year I started reading about scandals that were happening in the the Protestant and Catholic Church. I live in a religous household and I was already aware of the scumminess that happens within the church but, still reading every news story made me question the motives of my pastors.

During this time, I had a conversation with my former chemistry teacher who is a liberal Christian, I was talking to her about her faith and evolution. Mid-way through the conversation I realized I couldn't defend my creationist views. So one day I read a little about evolution and I realized I needed to accept it.

Earlier in the summer, I read about how the bible was complied and it seemed rather human driven and not at all divinely inspired. I also had a conversation with a nice person who basically gave me the revelation that god was us. (Wether he meant to or not.)

So for the rest of the summer and the start of the new school year, I tried to convince myself that this was all real for the sake of my family and to stop my whole world from collapsing. I suffered a plethora of panic attacks, depression, chronic pain during that time. I also had my final religous experience of hell. I feel crazy.

Currently ,I am still religous I still go to church and I'm trying to be a good christian to make my mother proud but, I don't buy it anymore. I'm a religous atheist.

(So uh, sorry that was a bit of a messy explaination.)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Welcome to ex-christian.  It sounds like you've been busy already.  Here you will find the help and support you need for taking the next few steps along the journey.  Make yourself at home and if you need anything, just give us a holler.

Welcome to ex-christian.  It sounds like you've been busy already.  Here you will find the help and support you need for taking the next few steps along the journey.  Make yourself at home and if you need anything, just give us a holler.

Thanks ^_^ I appreciate it.

Welcome to ex-C, ATA.  Your story sounds very familiar.  The fear and pain pass in time.  Glad to hear from you.

Yes, welcome.  Many folks here have posted about their journeys away from various Christian sects.  Hopefully, you will find their experiences helpful.

Welcome to ex-C, ATA.  Your story sounds very familiar.  The fear and pain pass in time.  Glad to hear from you.

Thanks I hope so as well. ^_^; Funny story, I was actually reading testimonies around here and I was actually thinking "wow, I'm not as crazy as I thought."

Hello there and welcome! I was a religious agnostic for a few months and now I can't stand going to church at all! I don't bring up the conversation with my parents about church and I go (only on Sundays) to my boyfriend's church. That has helped me break away a little. Next year, my boyfriend and I will be going to school in a different city and we plan on going to a huge church once a month on Sundays just so I can say that we go to such and such church if my parents ask. I know what it is like to keep up that pretense.

I think you'll find this place really helpful. I know I have. Whenever I get frustrated with school or religious people, I usually come here and read what others have to say. There are many interesting topics you can look into. Some people are very sarcastic and others post super serious insights. I think all, though, have something to say and will be honest and open with you. 

We are so glad you are here! Welcome to the family!

• Like 1

Yes, welcome.  Many folks here have posted about their journeys away from various Christian sects.  Hopefully, you will find their experiences helpful.

Thanks. And for full disclosure; I hail from the American Evangelical Protestant brand of Christianity.

• Super Moderator

Thanks. And for full disclosure; I hail from the American Evangelical Protestant brand of Christianity.

Would I be correct to assume that is more toward the fundamentalist end of the spectrum?  I ask because I came out of the Assemblies of God, which is not only about as fundamentalist as it gets, but pentecostal to boot.

Would I be correct to assume that is more toward the fundamentalist end of the spectrum?  I ask because I came out of the Assemblies of God, which is not only about as fundamentalist as it gets, but pentecostal to boot.

Dang. You were lucky to make it out alive!

Hello there and welcome! I was a religious agnostic for a few months and now I can't stand going to church at all! I don't bring up the conversation with my parents about church and I go (only on Sundays) to my boyfriend's church. That has helped me break away a little. Next year, my boyfriend and I will be going to school in a different city and we plan on going to a huge church once a month on Sundays just so I can say that we go to such and such church if my parents ask. I know what it is like to keep up that pretense.

I think you'll find this place really helpful. I know I have. Whenever I get frustrated with school or religious people, I usually come here and read what others have to say. There are many interesting topics you can look into. Some people are very sarcastic and others post super serious insights. I think all, though, have something to say and will be honest and open with you. 

Thank you for the warm welcome! The worst part about keeping up the act is suppressing the urge not to face palm or get blithering angry at a bigoted statement. I'm glad things seem to be working out, so that you don't have to go to a church every Sunday!

• Super Moderator

Dang. You were lucky to make it out alive!

You're assuming I am alive. :)  But you are correct; I consider myself to be very fortunate to have been able to break away.

• Like 1

If you mean that our doctrine mirrors independent fundamentalist baptist , yes.

However I would say I have a measure of freedom when it comes to art and literature than my fundamentalist "brothers and sisters." Also, they are nice about their bigotry. Which is really bizarre to hear bigoted statements put so nicely.(at first but if you keep pushing, you will see an ugly side.)

My mother and I have a bit of charismatic in us from Pat Robertson's stuff and That blessings and curses book but, I could never imagine being Pentecostal. 0-0

Thank you for the warm welcome! The worst part about keeping up the act is suppressing the urge not to face palm or get blithering angry at a bigoted statement. I'm glad things seem to be working out, so that you don't have to go to a church every Sunday!

I KNOW. It's horrible! Usually I keep a journal of the stupid things people say in church and why I disagree with them. People think I'm taking sermon notes. Au contraire. There's a forum about stupid things that are said in church somewhere around here. It may be an older one by now. You would probably get a good laugh out of it. The Stupid Things Fundies Say on Facebook is still going. That's a good one too.

I KNOW. It's horrible! Usually I keep a journal of the stupid things people say in church and why I disagree with them. People think I'm taking sermon notes. Au contraire. There's a forum about stupid things that are said in church somewhere around here. It may be an older one by now. You would probably get a good laugh out of it. The Stupid Things Fundies Say on Facebook is still going. That's a good one too.

Hmm. A journal I might do that.

• Super Moderator

However I would say I have a measure of freedom when it comes to art and literature than my fundamentalist "brothers and sisters." Also, they are nice about their bigotry. Which is really bizarre to hear bigoted statements put so nicely.(at first but if you keep pushing, you will see an ugly side.)

My mother and I have a bit of charismatic in us from Pat Robertson's stuff and That blessings and curses book but, I could never imagine being Pentecostal. 0-0

Oh yes, that good old "polite bigotry"!  How well I know it!  Fundamentalism is a strange paradox indeed.

Still, sounds like you have a level head on your shoulders, based on your posts so far.  I predict you'll be just fine, especially when you can get out of the house and into that new school.

I think the thread WaitingInfinity is referring to is called "Stupidest Things You Ever Heard in Church" and I want to say it is in the Humor and Satire Forum.  If not there, then it is probably in Rants and Replies.

Thanks I hope so as well. happy.png; Funny story, I was actually reading testimonies around here and I was actually thinking "wow, I'm not as crazy as I thought."

It's Christianity.  The way it affects people is rather consistent.  There is a lot of pressure to conform.  That goes for thinking as well.  

Thank you I'll be reading this for awhile most likely.

Oh yes, that good old "polite bigotry"!  How well I know it!  Fundamentalism is a strange paradox indeed.

Still, sounds like you have a level head on your shoulders, based on your posts so far.  I predict you'll be just fine, especially when you can get out of the house and into that new school.

Thank you, I'm a senior in high school fortunately and unfortunately I'm taking a gap year to learn German at a community college and to work to save up for college.

AriTheApostate: Welcome. Congratulations for your independent thinking. You certainly have come to the right place. One clarification, which you probably don't need. We are here to assist in your deconversion, but not to tell you what your beliefs should be. That is solely up to you. Virtually all of us are exchristians, having come to the conclusion that Xtiaity is a myth. Most of us came to that conclusion through research, self education and rational thinking. We don't claim, like so many religions, to know the Truth. Our goal is to search for it wherever it takes us. Nor do we hesitate to disagree with each other.

I believe you will find the posts here very helpful and informing. Reading is very important, in my opinion, in order to get a solid foundation as to why we have rejected Xtianity, many of us having been christains since childhood. There are recommended books listed at this site which I believe you will find edifying.

Since you are still in high school my recommendation is that you don't disclose your deconversion to your parents or friends at church  at this time. You parents, I'm sure, love you very much and there is no need to upset them by disclosure until it is necessary. That may not come until you are financially on your own in a few years. But you won't gain anything by making Xtianty a bone of contention between you and your parents while you are totally dependent upon them. To the extent possible I think it is best to keep a good relationship with them for as long as possible. I think it is very rewarding for all concerned for the parent-child relation-ship to be there for life.

But you need to be your own person. At some point it is important for every child to become emotionally independent from her parents so that important decisions concerning the grown up child is made by her. Otherwise one is never fully adult.

I made this too long and found myself acting like a teacher. Forgive me for that. The above is given for your consideration not as a directive. I wish you the best of luck. Keep coming back.   bill

• Like 1

AriTheApostate: Welcome. Congratulations for your independent thinking. You certainly have come to the right place. One clarification, which you probably don't need. We are here to assist in your deconversion, but not to tell you what your beliefs should be. That is solely up to you. Virtually all of us are exchristians, having come to the conclusion that Xtiaity is a myth. Most of us came to that conclusion through research, self education and rational thinking. We don't claim, like so many religions, to know the Truth. Our goal is to search for it wherever it takes us. Nor do we hesitate to disagree with each other.

I believe you will find the posts here very helpful and informing. Reading is very important, in my opinion, in order to get a solid foundation as to why we have rejected Xtianity, many of us having been christains since childhood. There are recommended books listed at this site which I believe you will find edifying.

Since you are still in high school my recommendation is that you don't disclose your deconversion to your parents or friends at church  at this time. You parents, I'm sure, love you very much and there is no need to upset them by disclosure until it is necessary. That may not come until you are financially on your own in a few years. But you won't gain anything by making Xtianty a bone of contention between you and your parents while you are totally dependent upon them. To the extent possible I think it is best to keep a good relationship with them for as long as possible. I think it is very rewarding for all concerned for the parent-child relation-ship to be there for life.

But you need to be your own person. At some point it is important for every child to become emotionally independent from her parents so that important decisions concerning the grown up child is made by her. Otherwise one is never fully adult.

I made this too long and found myself acting like a teacher. Forgive me for that. The above is given for your consideration not as a directive. I wish you the best of luck. Keep coming back.   bill

No need to apoligize teachers are cool, so acting like one is fine. ^.^ I'm happy to be here and thinking independently of Christianity. I hope to aid others and not bash them with my Atheism stick. Seeing as I slid into it reaserching liberal Christianity. (Compounded with previously mentioned conversation.) I defiantly do want to keep said mother-daughter relationship intact.

Also,I'll probably be reading the heck outta books around Christmas time so i'll defiantly check out that list.

Anyways thanks for your warm welcome.

I hope to aid others and not bash them with my Atheism stick. 

Sometimes some people need to be bashed with the atheist stick. Haha. tongue.png

• 4 weeks later...

Sending a warm welcome to you, sweetie.  I just joined recently and have found this to be a safe place full of encouragement. We are all in this together and I wish you much success and peace.

I remember a sermon called "G.I. Jesus" about the Iraq war that turned out pretty goofy. I don't remember much, but I'd like to think it was more about soldiers than about Jesus taking a politically aggressive, WMD-believing stance. I mean, since Jesus knows everything now that he is up, yes up as in ascended and in the sky and/or the sextillion of stars, he should be omniscient now, right? So, should he not have just told the administration that there were no WMD?

Oh, wait...The supernatural beliefs they held were WMD enough: weapons-of-mind-deception.