Goodbye Jesus

Why The Anger Against A God That Doesn't Exist

sandiego4me

Interesting....Sandiego never says why we are a threat to him and other Christians who come in here to wag their finger at is.

I think it's the xian equivalent of merit badges. "Posted on Ex-C, got my persecuted badge!"

I have a question for you-- why do you believe in a god that you CAN'T prove exists?  And, be honest.  How many times do you have to make excuses for bible passages that don't make sense, or deal with a prayer that wasn't answered, or asked yourself-- am I imagining that god speaks to me?  What if it is my own voice in my head.   I will venture to guess that any or all of these experiences have happened to you San Deigo as you are on this site.  What if we all are right? 

I was angry with god and jesus when I was a christian.  I never saw him/them (see, I don't know if they are the same or not because the bible is so damn contridictory!) as anything other than being like an angry parent waiting for me to do something wrong-- and just waiting to annihilate the earth and all of the people and animals in it because the earth needed to be purged of evil.  That was when I was a christian, mind you.  I prayed just so I wouldnt go to hell,  I sure did not feel loved!  I stayed in church just so I wouldn't go to hell-- not because I thought god/jesus was so awesome.  I was worried that my life would be bad once I quit church-- but guess what?  Lots of awesome things happened without prayer!!  And I venture to guess-- more great things will happen for me even though I don't believe that god has anything to do with any of my life and I refuse to pray or give him credit. 

So, you can ask your questions to us-- but maybe you should be asking yourself some hard questions.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

^^^I love your posts, Kris.

To put it in perspective.

If there where a bunch off people going around spreading aids, and claiming its the greatest thing ever and that you need to get it to so you will be saved or something.

And these people go around and infect the people around you, the sosiety you live in, your family, loved ones etc.

Would you say "o yes that is fantastic" its about time i get it to? Wendytwitch.gif

AIDS is good every day and

Every day AIDS is good.

Amazing AIDS, how sweeeeet the sound...

AIDS I lift your name on high!!!!

um, yeah.

Why are so many  Xtians so angry at atheists, agnostics and everybody else who is non-christian for, in good faith, not believing the exact same that they do? Oh wait. Nobody could, in good faith, disagree with you. You have such humility.    bill

Interesting....Sandiego never says why we are a threat to him and other Christians who come in here to wag their finger at is. 

It's because they're cowards when all is said and done. They know their "arguments" don't cut the mustard, all they have is emotional appeals and ancient ideas.

Whose god? Which god in all of this god salad are we to believe exists? Christians make the assumption that a disagreement with them is also a hatred of whatever god they happen to believe in. You can't hate Donald Duck, he doesn't exist. You can't hate the big bad wolf, because he doesn't exist. Christians stirup resentment by always being in someone's face about their own beliefs. Christians go door to door where they are not wanted, trying to sell their version of a Real Jesus™, sent by a Real God™ but you have to believe their version of the BS to be saved. Go from one church to another and most will want to rebaptize you into their faith, because if you received baptism from another cult then you did not receive the Real Baptism™ and have to be rebaptized. If Christians cannot take each other's word that what they claim is true, why should I?

• Like 4

• Super Moderator
If Christians cannot take each other's word that what they claim is true, why should I?

Excellent point, Heretic.

I am not angry at God one bit. I wasn't even mad at God when I left Christianity. I just realized it didn't exist. I didn't go through a rebellious stage at all. 

I realized that the whole idea of hell was absurd, and then I couldn't believe in it anymore. Also, parts of the Bible were wildly weird, and lots of it based on previous mythology, tweaked a bit here and there, adapted and incorporated into it. 

No, I wasn't angry at God. I suppose I felt like a mathematician who discovered that a formula didn't work and kept learning and working until I found one that did. I'm not angry at the old formula for being wrong, not even mad at the person who came up with the formula--after all, that person was just trying to figure something out the same way I was, but didn't have the benefit of later, better information that came along that I have access to. I just revised the formula to one that always works, and I feel happy and triumphant for discovering something true that replaces something false. 

So... no. No anger at God. I simply don't believe in God anymore. The biggest feeling accompanying my deconversion was relief. I could stop trying to twist my brain into knots figuring out how to make an old formula work that clearly didn't work or add up, and in fact created a bunch of paradoxes, and instead I found a perfect formula, and so I had no more discordant mutually exclusive beliefs clashing in my brain like a tempest anymore. 

Christianity asks you to deny reality. Atheism allows you to embrace and accept reality. It's a mentally peaceful place. 

Christian brainwashing would tell you that not believing in God is a false sense of peace, but it isn't. Christianity was never peaceful once I was a fully mature, thinking adult. Fairy tales are easy to believe when you're a child. They aren't when you're an adult. Trying to force your brain to accept what it knows is nonsense is hard and anything but peaceful. Deep down, your logical brain knows that it's utterly wrong. When you bring up the parts that aren't logical, Christians sweep your worries aside and tell you to have faith, don't doubt, stop questioning. But once a Christian suspects the truth is different from the Bible (and in fact contradictory) the only thing keeping people from leaving is fear: fear of losing their community, the fear of going to hell / not going to heaven, and the fear of changing a world view you've invested so much of your life, energy and money into. Fear of being "on your own" (which of course you already are) instead of having an (imaginary) God guiding you that you can pray to for help, protection and wisdom. Fear of finding your own purpose in life that you already thought you had figured out. 

No, it's hard for Christians to give up their views, even when they aren't working and clash with reality. We didn't leave Christianity out of anger or fear. People stay in Christianity because of fear. We left in spite of fear. It takes courage to be mentally and emotionally honest with yourself. But integrity is important. It's the gift you give yourself. 

I hope for you that you'll find the courage to be honest with yourself. I hope that you'll find the will to research and study on your own. You can find truth in history, earth science, cosmology, biology, psychology, geology, or the study of mythologies.... or all of the above. I challenge you to find your own courage and seek out this knowledge to gain wisdom and understanding. I assure you, the truth is findable and knowable. It's out there waiting for you to find it. I sincerely hope that you do, and I wish you lots of love, joy, and peace. 

• Like 3

Why are so many  Xtians so angry at atheists, agnostics and everybody else who is non-christian for, in good faith, not believing the exact same that they do? Oh wait. Nobody could, in good faith, disagree with you. You have such humility.    bill

Many Christians use projection to tame their cognitive dissonance.  They accuse others of having emotions, beliefs or claims that they themselves have.

That, plus they are taught to be xenophobic from a very young age.  They see trusted adults and peers exhibit xenophobia and its associated hate, bigotry and tribalism.

They are taught to shun rational thinking, and rewarded for doing so.

Christianity is a primitive, infantile and obsolete religion.

• Like 1

Another one here who is sick and tired of Christians telling me I am angry at something I don't believe in. It makes as much sense as insisting that I am angry at the fairies in my garden for planting weeds in the spring and plucking leaves off the trees in Fall.

I was indoctrinated from birth. When I lost my faith about 7 years ago I did go through a brief anger phase, but none of that was directed at God. How could it be? God doesn't exist! No, I never directed any anger at God, but I did think about where my anger was directed. I asked myself who was I angry at?

Was I angry at my parents for indoctrinating me and giving me no other options of what to believe? No, I wasn't. They were just doing what they believed God expected them to do and they too were indoctrinated from birth.

Was I angry at myself? Why was I so dumb? Why was I so easily taken in? But really is it fair to blame myself when I was indoctrinated from birth and that I didn't learn critical thinking skills until I was in my 30s? Even though I am the type to beat myself up over mistakes, I knew that I couldn't really blame myself.

Was I angry at society? Well I guess we can blame society for allowing such indoctrination to happen to innocent children, for allowing religious people and literature to have so much authority and so much influence. But how do you take your frustrations out on society? You can't!

So when it came down to it, I realised there was nothing I could blame, so the anger phase quickly disappeared and I moved onto the acceptance phase... the "it's ok that I'm no longer a christian" phase. Where I finally came to be at peace about no longer believing. That doesn't mean that I don't get angry sometimes when I see stupid Christians making stupid ignorant comments... when I see people so caught up in their Christian delusions that it affects others and even themselves negatively. So things like that do make me angry and I will express my anger in posts on line, but there's no being angry at any imaginary being, it's being angry at idiots.

• Like 1

Does something have to be real to make you angry? I've watched movies with evil characters that made me angry. Though I knew it was just a fictional character.

I too get angry at acts of despicable characters on TV shows and movies even though I know they're not real and let's face it, that is the exact response that the writers want and what good writers will get! That in no way indicates that deep down I believe those characters exist. A classic example was just recently watching an episode of Banshee where a scum bag bare knuckle fighter committed a violent rape. It infuriated me no end and in the end you should have heard me cheering on the hero when he beat the shit out of that scum bag! Boy did the extremes of emotions get to me that time!

In my experience people who are angry at God are usually the Christians. After all... they are the ones who believe this despicable God exists!

• Like 2

I wonder if this claim is mostly popular in America. If the Christians who say this were living in Europe and witnessing the rise of Sharia law, they would be directing a lot of time and energy toward attacking Islam to protect their freedoms. They certainly wouldn't appreciate Muslims telling them their anger stemmed from knowing Allah is real, but we could expect the double standard to be lost on them.

• Like 1

Does something have to be real to make you angry? I've watched movies with evil characters that made me angry. Though I knew it was just a fictional character.

I too get angry at acts of despicable characters on TV shows and movies even though I know they're not real and let's face it, that is the exact response that the writers want and what good writers will get! That in no way indicates that deep down I believe those characters exist. A classic example was just recently watching an episode of Banshee where a scum bag bare knuckle fighter committed a violent rape. It infuriated me no end and in the end you should have heard me cheering on the hero when he beat the shit out of that scum bag! Boy did the extremes of emotions get to me that time!

In my experience people who are angry at God are usually the Christians. After all... they are the ones who believe this despicable God exists!

This right here is the best explanation there is, as to why anyone would feel anger towards Yahweh after they no longer believe he exists. Villains in movies and TV shows always make me feel angry like that and it brings me joy when I see them get punched in the face by Batman, kicked through a window by Walker the Texas Ranger, or stabbed in the heart by Dexter Morgan.

Yeah! Good old Dexter! He was my hero.

• Like 2

I'll give my two cents. One of the reasons that some people left religion and/or ultimately rejected belief in any God is because they happened to fall on some hard times. when you are a religious person, say a Christian, and you constantly pray and pray for things to get better, and put all your hope into this being, and then to either have nothing change for the good or things even get worse, some Christians might opt to disbelieve in a God altogether. That sort of describes me. And depending on how difficult the challenges were for that person it is understandable why they may feel angry. After everything most of us are taught about the Christian God it seems out of character to us that he would ignore anyone, much less let financial ruin wreck their lives among other things (i.e. starving people in the world, Hiv, war, poverty, etc.) so to get no visible response after someone has been seriously praying and believing in this God can seriously leave some frustrated, or betrayed. 

Why is it that most of you who profess to have no belief in God have such hatred for a being that allegedly doesn't exist?  Seriously, why so much anger against a non-existent being?  Is it really that you believe he exists, but are simply frustrated that he seems distant from you?   I'm just curious?  Also, it would be nice to hear some well-thought out responses, rather than expletive-ridden responses. Anybody?

I am not angry at the concept of God. As an agnostic, I don't dare to say God (the concept) does not exist. Now, to say that the Christian, or Muslim or any religious God exists is another thing. Think about the wide Universe- if there is life outside Earth it's very unlikely they will be Christian. My main problem with the Christian God concept is that it is, at the end, exclusive for a group of people. Even Christians don't agree among themselves on how He works. Protestants have an arrogant security that "you can only get to heaven by grace". They being sure of that over the fact that there are about 6.? billion other people who don't agree with that and all of them are apparently going to fiery hell is beyond absurd. I'm not wanting to be disrespectful but that is the most logical conclusion I can arrive to. There are many other questions that challenge the existence of the Christian God- not necessarily the Universal God. People have the right to believe what they want on the Universal God but at the end, if it exists, it is UNIVERSAL, not limited to a religion or worse- a part of a religion.