Goodbye Jesus

Is God Still Working In My Life?

chrisstavrous

Have you ever gotten the reply, god is still working in you're life. This is the reply I received from a very dull christian woman after I told her I basically hate the jewish/christian god and that my life is better since I left. She kept on saying god is very close to me and he is the one who is still helping me work things out even though I have left him.

I mean what the fucking shit is she on about, I even quoted that verse, hot or cold but she still refused to accept that god had nothing to do with my current situation.

• Super Moderator

That's a pretty normal thing for me to hear from my mother, along with "god still has a plan for you."  I wouldn't put much stock into it.  A lot has been going on in your life lately, but it has been you who has been doing the work. 

Quite mysterious of him, isn't it?  He's working in your life and you can't see, hear, feel, smell or taste him.  Sneaky bugger.

These believers must have an inherent self-hatred.  I honestly don't remember having it myself, maybe I was different.  They seem to think that they can't accomplish anything on their own.  Raising your kids in a happy home?  "Thank the lord for his blessings."  You graduated college?  "God has helped me accomplish this goal."  Etc.

I really want to grab them by their shirts and yell in their face "YOU DID THAT.  DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE CREDIT FOR WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED THROUGH YOUR OWN HARD WORK".  I would be doing this out of my very real concern for their well-being.  Is it really wrong to take just a little well-deserved credit?

Standard fare from the mental patients. Don't let it wrankle. 

Of course it can be exasperating, but try not to let other people's (incorrect) opinions get to you. You don't need to convince them they're wrong, and you can shrug off what they think because you know you're right. You don't need to quote Bible verses to explain why God isn't working on you, nor try to tell them why God doesn't exist at all. If they are not receptive to the truth, and if they aren't ready to change their world view, you can't make them. Not with logic, reason, scripture or even torture. They aren't changing their mind. At some point, you have to let go of needing other people to understand your point of view and agree with it. It's not necessary.  

Sure, it's rude when someone else tries to assume more about YOUR life than they have any business doing. I don't appreciate assumptions about what's going on in my life; I know that better than they do. My choice is to shrug it off or tell them to mind their own life / business, that I don't appreciate them trying to tell me what they think God is or isn't doing in my life, because they really truly don't have any idea or clue about that, and I'd appreciate if they kept their opinions to themselves unless I ask them. (Mostly, I shrug it off.) 

Age-old line. As TRP says, don't put too much stock in it. I got a similar response from someone I'd been chatting with when I was on the xtian dating site just before I left. It's manipulation, pure and simple. It's an emotional ploy to get you come back and try harder. Don't fall for it. All that hard work, that's you. Not a figment of the imaginations of delusional churchies.

• Super Moderator

Yes, God is still working in our lives as much as he ever did. He never changes.

Praise the lord for helping me when I dont want him to, free will? what the fuck is that.

God wins!

The further I remove myself from Christian dogma, the clearer the silliness and vacuousness of that dogma becomes.

• Like 3

Praise the lord for helping me when I dont want him to, free will? what the fuck is that.

God wins!

Free will was always a big lie. How'd that work out for Jonah?

Yes, God is still working in our lives as much as he ever did. He never changes.

Amen brother.

Praise the never-changing Lord, who is gloriously working in all our life's as much as he ever did, and ever will. Praise the mysterious, invisible, silent Lord!

Have you ever gotten the reply, god is still working in you're life. This is the reply I received from a very dull christian woman after I told her I basically hate the jewish/christian god and that my life is better since I left. She kept on saying god is very close to me and he is the one who is still helping me work things out even though I have left him.

I mean what the fucking shit is she on about, I even quoted that verse, hot or cold but she still refused to accept that god had nothing to do with my current situation.

Punch her and then say god told you to do it.  You can even get dramatic and fall to your knees, and say, "Praise god!  I heard his voice!  He spoke to me!  Lady, you have helped me reconnect with god!"

Seriously, I'm just sorry you had to listen to that drivel.  Try your best to ignore it.  I know, easier said than done.

Although it is true that you should't care, you do, and so do I because it is EXTREMELY annoying! I understand your frustration.

I'm sort of out to my family (some know, some think I'm just backslidden) and I see them saying the same thing. See, apparently their prayers alone are sustaining my health, happiness and success. I must be a very lucky heathen to have such a devout family "covering" me. Maybe god is still working in your life because of other people's prayers, too! \sarcasm

In the other hand, when bad things happen to you rest assured that they will blame you. When bad things happen to them it is usually part of god's plan. There is no way to reason with people like that; I consider them lost to ignorance, brain damaged by dogma.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying, I think it's pretty much the default thing to say to a person whom you think has simply "backslidden." I mean, all they know is their faith and just a while ago, my friend wrote in a birthday card she gave to me that she knew "it was hard and that God is still XYZ." I appreciated the message, but it felt so awkward and I felt I was under so much pressure to conform at that moment. I don't know what was so hard but, again, she probably perceives that I'm struggling in my faith, which is not exactly the case.

• Super Moderator

Just to echo what everyone else is saying, I think it's pretty much the default thing to say to a person whom you think has simply "backslidden." I mean, all they know is their faith and just a while ago, my friend wrote in a birthday card she gave to me that she knew "it was hard and that God is still XYZ." I appreciated the message, but it felt so awkward and I felt I was under so much pressure to conform at that moment. I don't know what was so hard but, again, she probably perceives that I'm struggling in my faith, which is not exactly the case.

You are hanging in there, though, Idontevenknow99 and for now that is enough.  It will get easier with time and distance away from the church.

When the aliens come to take over the earth it will be the dumb people they will eat first.

When the aliens come to take over the earth it will be the dumb people they will eat first.

In that case, I'm a goner. I'm what's for dinner!

Really, I'm still counting on the the prayers of True Believer from a while ago and a different section of the board to get me through. Through what, I'm not sure.

Life?

It seems to be happening to me the same now as it did when I was a Christian. If God is working in my life, he is one lazy sumbitch that frankly, is fired. He never showed up for work, and when I thought he did, he did more harm than good.

From now on, any God that wants to work in my life has to pass a background check.

• Like 2

Are you any good with photoshop wink.png ?

Repy: omg you are right, he revealed himself to me yesterday, and i took a picture [insert photoshopped picture here]

zDuivel7.gif

How do you know they'd eat them? Maybe they would pose as gods and enslave them through brainwashing.

From now on, any God that wants to work in my life has to pass a background check.

Yeah, and I'll want to see the really old (meanspirited OT) stuff too, not just the nicey nice newer (Jesus loves you NT) stuff. Too many skeletons in that closet.

Lol, you have to take the perspective dummy that many of you have examined God to an extreme point.  After all the point is to KNOW Christ, KNOW God.  Y'all have done that at an exponential rate........so there.  chew on that funny guy.

Have you examined the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Have you come to know his noodley appendages?

How do you know they'd eat them? Maybe they would pose as gods and enslave them through brainwashing.

Because that's what good aliens do ;)
  • Like 1

Lol, you have to take the perspective dummy that many of you have examined God to an extreme point. After all the point is to KNOW Christ, KNOW God. Y'all have done that at an exponential rate........so there. chew on that funny guy.
I thought all you christians said, "you can't know the mind of god" but at the same time they say, "you must take on the mind of christ" how can you take on something you can't understand.

Lol, you have to take the perspective dummy that many of you have examined God to an extreme point. After all the point is to KNOW Christ, KNOW God. Y'all have done that at an exponential rate........so there. chew on that funny guy.
I thought all you christians said, "you can't know the mind of god" but at the same time they say, "you must take on the mind of christ" how can you take on something you can't understand.

It's a mystery ... but be perfect therefore as God is perfect.