Goodbye Jesus

Christians Are A Laughing Stock

1AcceptingAThiest1

A christian tells an Athiest about this verse what is a good defense an Athiest can use?..........

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire. This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic

The Jews have been waiting for their Idea of the Messiah for ?-- how long. 4000 years maybe. Take into account the book says JC is "the word". Word imparts knowledge. It's new knowledge that is to arrive. smile.png

What is the ETA for arrival?

Can we make it a rule that if someone posts a question and fails to follow-up or respond to any of the replies that said person should be whipped with FSM noodles or something. I'm getting tired of these Christians trolling about in our dominion.

• Like 2

A christian tells an Athiest about this verse what is a good defense an Athiest can use?..........

2 Peter 3:3-4 says, “First, I want to remind you that in the last days there will be scoffers who will laugh at the truth and do every evil thing they desire. This will be their argument: “Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the world was first created.” Wow, does that not describe the world we live in right now? I think it is amazing that the fact that people are laughing at and mocking Jesus Christ is a sign itself of his return.....ironic

You have been claiming this crap for two thousand years? You sound like the radio DJ that says my favorite song is coming up on the queue but it never comes.

As others have said, mocking has been going on since Jesus's day.

I think it's very easy to make a prediction that people will mock you. I could say I'm going to start my own religion and that when I do people will mock me for it. Think it will be an accurate prophecy?

yes and notice how most religions today use that excuse to keep it converts, such as JW and mormons saying we are telling you the truth because they mock us. 

• Like 2

Christians are a "laughing stock" because they cannot treat their religion like their genitalia. I personally couldn't care less what someone else believes in, as long as they keep it to themselves, and don't use manipulation/scare tactics which Christians are famous for engaging in.

I'm sure that most of us would be equally annoyed if Buddists, Satanists, Jews and Toaists etc continously knocked on our doors and stopped people on the streets and forced them to listen to their message. But they don't do that. Unlike Christians, they can respect someone else's belief, or lack thereof.

• Like 1

1AcceptingAThiest1,

You might want to check out some early detractors of Christianity like Porphyry.  People have been calling Christianity delusional for centuries and centuries.  

Many of the common objections to traditional dogmatic Christianity that we hear today were well-established by the 2nd through 4th centuries.  Early detractors complained about stuff like textual errors in the New Testament, discrepancies in the Gospel accounts, dubious miracle stories, evangelism's reliance on ignorance and fear, the similarities of resurrections/healings/miracle stories in other religions, the dubious use of OT passages in the New Testament, Paul's error in thinking that Christ would return soon, the cruelty/partiality/injustice of the OT God, etc.

Robert Wilken (who was a professor at UVA) wrote a fascinating and very readable book on this if interested: http://www.amazon.com/The-Christians-Romans-Saw-Them/dp/0300098391

It was very hard for me to allow myself to begin reading and really listening to skeptical criticism's of Christianity.  I was afraid of hell and felt disloyal.  Our only loyalty should be to honesty though.  What should you do if Jesus and honesty are in conflict?

• Like 1