Goodbye Jesus

To Those Who Believe There's A War On Christmas

Vigile

Following is an awesome rant posted on FB by one of ExC's earlier members, Sandy Winn (reposted with her permission):

Asbestos ear muffs may be in order. smile.png

To Those Who Believe There's a War on Christmas
December 6, 2013 at 9:16pm

This note ONLY applies to those clamoring to "Keep Christ in Christmas" and who believe there is a war on it....

My position? Even though I am an ex-Christian now atheist I say, "Merry Christmas", because I have special memories of growing up and going to my grandparents' home on Christmas Eve and exchanging gifts and being home with my mom or dad on Christmas Day and doing the same. I love the decorations and the lights and the baking and the time with family aspects of Christmas, even though I have plenty of time with my family. For me, it is about memories and my Christmas memories were pleasant...until this "War on Christmas" bullshit started and it half makes me want to hide away in a hole until the whole damn thing is over just so I can avoid all the stupid and incessant whining on the part of fundamentalist Christians!

You're the same lot who claim it's all about a personal relationship with Christ while simultaneously trying to impose your morals on non-fundamentalist Christians, gays (christians or not), unbelievers, those of other faiths, deem who are sinners, etc.; then you have the audacity to turn around and demand respect from the same people you bash all year long? You've got to be kidding me! You're lucky people greet you at all, let alone acknowledge Christmas to appease you. 

You demand respect and acknowledgement of Christmas and cry, "War!", if it isn't given; at the same time you aren't willing to give respect to others. Hypocrites! It's one day and you want it wished to you weeks in advance. Do you know what normal, nice people do this time of year? If they have Christian friends they wish them a "Merry Christmas", if they have Jewish friends they wish them "Happy Hanukah", and so on and so forth. There are a lot of holidays between November and January and businesses want to make money so some choose to use the all inclusive greetings of "Happy Holidays" and/or "Season's Greetings". If you don't like it, shop for your frankincense and myrrh elsewhere. If you're concerned you may offend Jesus by acknowledging another's holiday then I suggest you read your scriptures because if you think The Almighty would get pissed over such a small thing, you should be just as concerned over this.....

Why don't you Keep Christ in Christmas? You get a Christmas tree just like pagans.  You participate in the commercialization just like those of other faiths, unbelievers and pagans. You decorate your homes just like pagans, but I'm sure Christ appreciates your manager scene display--gives things a more "Jesusy" feel. You do all of the same things in preparation for the 25th of December as everyone else and have a hissy fit if someone kindly greets you with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? Or a public school doesn't allow songs about Jesus (to be fair, all religious music should be allowed or banned, picking and choosing is wrong). Do you think God really gives a shit if people who don't believe at all or believe in other gods don't wish you a Merry Christmas? No. Why don't you follow your savior's advice and dust off your feet and move along. 

Lastly, if it's all about Jesus's special day, regardless of the fact that according to the Bible he wasn't even born in December, why don't you make it all about him? You can give your gifts before his special day. On Jesus's day you can wake up and pray, eat breakfast, go to church, take the morning shift at a homeless shelter, come home and praise and worship, eat lunch, go volunteer at a soup kitchen, hand out gifts to the poor, eat dinner, go to a night church service, take your last shift volunteering at a soup kitchen, come home again, and go to bed.  No enjoying the gifts you received because that's taking away from Jesus time. No tv other than religious programming or music aside from worship music. You can do all that with the same people who believe as you and truly make it all about Jesus. And you can say, "Merry Christmas", until your tired, weary eyes close for a good night's sleep. 

Toodles!

• Like 8

Well said. Every year it's the same goddamn thing. It's a fake controversy designed by the religious right to get people worked up in a frenzy over a non-existent thing. 

• Super Moderator

Oh man, everything I've always wanted to say to my fundy family, co-workers, and acquaintances.  (I have no fundy friends fiends anymore.)

• Super Moderator

I really should steal this and post it on my mom's facebook wall, but I still adhere to that whole "blessed are the peace-makers" thing, I suppose.

I just loved the model Christmas day that was outline in this post! The world might actually be abetter place if some of these Christians followed that advice!

I saw the "Let's keep Christ in Christmas" meme on FB today. I may make one that says, "Let's keep Christ in Christmas presents" just for the fun of it.

• Like 1

You're the same lot who claim it's all about a personal relationship with Christ while simultaneously trying to impose your morals on non-fundamentalist Christians, gays (christians or not), unbelievers, those of other faiths, deem who are sinners, etc.; then you have the audacity to turn around and demand respect from the same people you bash all year long? You've got to be kidding me! You're lucky people greet you at all, let alone acknowledge Christmas to appease you. 

Bloody brilliant. Man, I love you guys.

Hey Vigile, good job man, well said, think I'll read it again!

"let's keep cgrist in christmas"

so christians want to keep celebrating jesus's birthday on 25 december even though their own bible infers that Jesus was born on summer or fall?

christians' logic WendyDoh.gif Wendybanghead.gif

May I correct myself? I overlooked the author info but still Vigile, good taste and selection.Reminds me of a replay during last year's Wright wing conservative's yearly fits about christmas wars. One of the daytime[GOP/fox] type shows that I never watch, don't know the name but it's 2 guys and a pretty gal with a lot of eye make-up, they sit on a couch, she's in the middle and shows a little skin but not too much, anyway this segment the spotlight's on her, she's standing, camera's up close and with venom in her soul she shouts out something about this war on christmas!! I mean if I was standing where the camera is I would be expecting a hard slap! This person has a Sarah Palin/beauty contestant kind of background, may even be a contest winner, I'm not sure, but at this moment there is nothing lovely about her. She carried on with her well rehearsed rant for some time but it was so blurry like I really had been slapped hard. I can remember wondering why any christian would want to be represented by her.

No, it wasn't I who wrote it.  It was Sandy.  She used to be a regular poster here on the forum, but hasn't been around for a few years now.  I'll pass this along to her though. 

Excellent post!