Goodbye Jesus

Ex-Christian Band

DrNo

So I just discovered that the band Quiet Company was formerly with a Christian label and a few years ago went indie after the lead singer deconverted. They also picked up new bandmates along the way.

Anyway I gave them a listen. Wow they are good. Won Austin's indie band of the year. Their most recent album is a breakup letter with religion that manages to be upbeat and fun without the ham-fists of Christian rock. What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tfoBE3QMAo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Like 3

Cool, I wonder if there are more ex-Christian bands? lol

Yeah not bad. Some Nice moments. I noticed There were some Beatle esque influences in the song which isn't a bad thing.

I never heard of them before. Nice. I had been looking for ex-Xian music all over; thanks for posting this.

We have a lot of musicians here. We should start an Ex- C.net band! The Unholy Rollers or Godspeil or The farting flowers with Brother Jeff as our manager.

• Like 3

I feel these guys. Austin is a pretty cool place, not surprised people liked them.

This particular song was a bit too repetitive for me, but I totally appreciate you posting about them. Hey, par4, I'll join your band! I play piano (and/or keyboards as needed), and I'm learning guitar. I usually sing deep velvety female harmony, but I can belt out some seriously high soprano shit when needed.

Katy Perry used to publish Christian music albums under a Christian music label under her birth name "Katy Hudson."  She grew up in with parents who were Pentecostal pastors, stating that she "didn't have a childhood."  More recently she sings secular songs and is a gay-rights activist.  She says "I don't believe in heaven or hell as a destination."  So, one might call her an ex-Christian, even if she would still call herself a Christian.  I know that her "schtick" is to present herself as a superficial and ditzy California girl, but I have enjoyed some of her songs in the past, and especially as I identify with her as an "ex-Christian."  This background makes it interesting to interpret her most recent song on the radio, "Unconditionally."  Katy Perry says  'I'm Still a Christian'

• Super Moderator

Katy Perry used to publish Christian music albums under a Christian music label under her birth name "Katy Hudson."  She grew up in with parents who were Pentecostal pastors, stating that she "didn't have a childhood."  More recently she sings secular songs and is a gay-rights activist.  She says "I don't believe in heaven or hell as a destination."  So, one might call her an ex-Christian, even if she would still call herself a Christian.  I know that her "schtick" is to present herself as a superficial and ditzy California girl, but I have enjoyed some of her songs in the past, and especially as I identify with her as an "ex-Christian."  This background makes it interesting to interpret her most recent song on the radio, "Unconditionally."  Katy Perry says  'I'm Still a Christian'

The first time I heard "Unconditionally" I thought it had a kind of Praise and Worship quality to it.

Cool, I wonder if there are more ex-Christian bands? lol

David Bazan of Pedro the Lion deconverted. He went solo for awhile and is now part of the indie band Overseas.

You've heard the story

You know how it goes

Once upon a garden

We were lovers with no clothes

Fresh from the soil

We were beautiful and true

In control of our emotions

'Til we ate the poison fruit

And now it's hard to be

Hard to be

Hard to be a decent human being

Wait just a minute

You expect me to believe

That all this misbehaving

Grew from one enchanted tree?

And helpless to fight it

We should all be satisfied

With this magical explanation

For why the living die

And why it's hard to be

Hard to be

Childbirth is painful

We toil to grow our food

Ignorance made us hungry

Information made us no good

Every burden misunderstood

So I swung my tassel

To the left side of my cap

Knowing after graduation

There would be no going back

And no congratulations

From my faithful family

Some of whom are already fasting

To intercede for me

Because it's hard to be

Hard to be

"Quiet Company".

Good name. Not a bad song, maybe a little ambiguous, but I think their time is coming.

Thanks for posting this! This is on my christmas list now.

...Hey, par4, I'll join your band! I play piano (and/or keyboards as needed), and I'm learning guitar. I usually sing deep velvety female harmony, but I can belt out some seriously high soprano shit when needed.

I play drums, guitar, and piano (not all at once), and really enjoy playing bass.  I also sing, and can harmonize.  I also am an audio engineer so I can record all our albums!  yellow.gif

We have a lot of musicians here. We should start an Ex- C.net band! The Unholy Rollers or Godspeil or The farting flowers with Brother Jeff as our manager.

I vote for The Unholy Rollers! Or excerpt from some bible verse that makes god look like a jerk.  

I can sing and help write lyrics and maybe play the piano when I get better at it.  There should be a heathen heaven where we can all meet each other and start our band.

I never could get into Christian bands they always sounded like they were picking up ideas already years old and repackaging them with the  "Jesus died for me" lyric mantra. Simply god-awful (pun).

Mind slave kids into this crap, nodding and holding up one finger and eating up to this derivative trash because it is "allowed by the sub-culture given the Christian label of the band, deserve pity.

Phil Keaggy even sounds very much Beatlesque on many songs and the adoration Christians show him because hes a believer is nauseating. Its as if he is their one Jesus certified, bonafide guitar god.

He is good however..

but that doesnt mean I like his music..I can say the same for Hendrix: guitar wizard? yes!..enjoy his music...no! He is sloppy as hell, constrained to the Blues as a style and the production value is basement quality.

I call keyboards. Some other ideas for names: Brood of Vipers or Crucifaction. Burn the Priest is open since Lamb of God changed their name. If anyone wants some ideas, I found an article about the 10 most blasphemous band names. But we also need to decide on what kind of music we would play. I'm thinking black metal, or extreme metal in general.