Goodbye Jesus

The Omega Course

TrueFreedom

yay or nay?   "The Omega Course is, playfully, about exiting Christianity in twelve weeks."  How about if they weren't really playing?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtKjzGlTA_g&list=TLB2cPF3BajOr_FIAZuRVcmkao6zy6-UYN

I'd do it!

The Omega Course sounds interesting. I have wondered sometimes if it would be possible to leave behind the damaging parts of Christianity and preserve other parts that might have some value.  I think we have had some liberal Christian posters on this site in the past that somehow have been able to do that.

One thing I have begun to realize is that some churches do have soup kitchens, are activist minded with a goal toward helping people and not just tossing out Bible verses - and a concern for the poor that seems to be completely absent from other religions, such as Buddhism, at least in my area.

I'd do it!

Do you think that you would have taken it as a believer?  Would you like to take it now?

The Omega Course sounds interesting. I have wondered sometimes if it would be possible to leave behind the damaging parts of Christianity and preserve other parts that might have some value.  I think we have had some liberal Christian posters on this site in the past that somehow have been able to do that.

One thing I have begun to realize is that some churches do have soup kitchens, are activist minded with a goal toward helping people and not just tossing out Bible verses - and a concern for the poor that seems to be completely absent from other religions, such as Buddhism, at least in my area.

That's my impression as well.  I imagine a lot of UU churches participate in charity, but not all former Christians will agree with a given congregation's agenda.  Any institution will have a limit to how inclusive it can be.

Yeah, while the alpha course always seemed kind of awkward to me, have never joined one, this sounds appealing. I would love to have those discussions he is mentioning as long as I really had the freedom to believe whatever I wanted to. This would really be interesting.

I think I would have joined a group like that just at the end of my christian life. I don't know if I had before, maybe just out of curiosity but I really can't say. But I know that at the end I would have, since it was me who loved to start controversial discussions amongst friends and the small group I attended. I then left that group because I felt I would cause too much disturbance. There where too many who had little faith in themselves and to me it was important that each finds its way out of religion by himself. Certainly I did not want to be found guilty of drawing people from faith. That also had to do with my not knowing myself if what I had found was really a good thing or if I just had been deceived. And the conscious that I had said and done so many things that now seemed so ridiculous and wrong. So I just thought I'd better shut up and explore before I opened my mouth again.

Now, if there was a group of like minded people, actually like on this forum, who where willing to discuss all the issues with no regards but the respect of each individual...I would be in yellow.gif .

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this course is available? If I thought this would help me further my deprogramming and help me to become more comfortable, I would be very interested. It would be beneficial in the advancement of ''deconverting''. If someone finds a link, could they let us know? I can't seem to find it. Many thanks.

You can sign up here to be notified if something becomes available in your area: http://pyro.peterrollins.net/sign-up/

"One thing I have begun to realize is that some churches do have soup kitchens, are activist minded with a goal toward helping people and not just tossing out Bible verses - and a concern for the poor that seems to be completely absent from other religions, such as Buddhism, at least in my area." deva

Yes, there really are churches like that. I think there are many more than we think because these kind

of churches don't appear on t.v. or advertise widely.

The church my wife goes to had a campaign to raise money for poor kids in Haiti. The preacher told the

congregation that if they could raise money to feed 10 families for a year, that he would shave his

head. When they hit 20 the assistant pastor said he would shave his head if they reached 30. They are

now in the mid-30's and they have 2 bald preachers. This was just straight giving; no preaching to the kids involved. Great. bill